In tune...or not

Kimball

Blues Newbie
So I've got my guitar all tuned to perfection with y eNote digital clip-on guitar tuner and the Beginning Course arrives in the mail. I slam that first dvd in the computer, flip on the amp, and I'm ready be a blues master like Freddie King...what the...Griff's guitar and mine are about a half step out of tune. Do I have to retune every time I"m working on the course? Is my tuner out of whack? Damn...I was so ready to be a star.

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
Kim,

If your guitar is tuned to standard tuning E-A-D-G-B-E,  you should be in sync with Griff's lessons.  Not familiar with your tuner but just make sure it's giving you those notes & you should be OK

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I don't know if it's your tuner or your DVD player, but when I'm in tune, I can play along with Griff just fine. I'd check the tuner. Some tuners have a button that allows you to modify the number of cycles for a given note (I have no Idea why you would do that). I'm pretty sure that E should be 440 Hz. You may also want to check your tuning against an on-line tuner (http://www.gieson.com/Library/projects/utilities/tuner/ ) or, if you have Pod Farm, use its tuner.

560sdl

Blues Newbie
Some tuners have a button that allows you to modify the number of cycles for a given note (I have no Idea why you would do that). I'm pretty sure that E should be 440 Hz.

If I were a betting man, I would put a lot on this being the problem.  This happened to me where my tuner got off and it drove me nuts until I figured it out.

E

Einset

I don't know if it's your tuner or your DVD player, but when I'm in tune, I can play along with Griff just fine. I'd check the tuner. Some tuners have a button that allows you to modify the number of cycles for a given note (I have no Idea why you would do that). I'm pretty sure that E should be 440 Hz. You may also want to check your tuning against an on-line tuner (http://www.gieson.com/Library/projects/utilities/tuner/ ) or, if you have Pod Farm, use its tuner.

I always thought A was 440Hz.

560sdl

Blues Newbie
With most electronic tuners, 440 is the primary setting that all of the notes originate from.  With mine, it does not matter if it is an A or an E.  If I have it set to 440 before I tune, I am good.

L

Lame_Pinky

Tuners alow you to tune in standard or in flat or sharp - well most do.along with everything else thats already been said did you check the tuner to see what it was that you were tuning too ? It may have been set to Eb & you might not have known.

LP

ps. Jimi Hendrix, SRV & a few others play in Eb

B

bplavoie

My tuner has 4 modes - Guitar, Bass, Violin, and 'General'. You toggle between them but hitting the power button. Have you got something like that and have it on the wrong setting?

Bluewater

Blues Newbie
...... about a half step out of tune. Do ..........Is my tuner out of whack?

Kim,

I have three different tuners. They all have a "b" setting which you can select to tune the guitar flat by a half step. Handy for tuning like SRV, Jimi, or Trower and others. Not too useful for everything else like BGU.

What is the manufacturer and model number of the tuner you are using?

Dave