importance of SWS!!

Discussion in 'SWS Questions' started by Cyberthrasher_706, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Cyberthrasher_706

Cyberthrasher_706 Blues Newbie

I just want to point out to everyone how important this course really is. When I went to BGU Live this last weekend, I was really comfortable with a lot of the solo stuff in BGU using full scales and boxes together. But, the second I got on stage it all vanished. So, I went straight to all of the SWS 4 note boxes that I've been practicing and it saved my butt. If you're just starting out with your soloing, this is a great thing to have under your belt. If you think it's below you, it's still a great thing to have because if all else fails, there's a lot to be done with those 4 little notes when you forget everything else you know so well (as long as you're in the right key  ::)).

2. wgabree

wgabree Blues Newbie

Totally agree!

It's really amazing how stepping onto a stage effects your ability to play!  If you've never played on stage, you have no idea!

Whenever I hear someone knock a guitar player who can play without error on stage, I know I've found someone who has never played on stage!

:cool:

3. Cyberthrasher_706

Slightly off topic, but relevant. I was so embarrassed/angry with myself but at the same time I knew it was the best thing that could happen to me as far as a learning experience, even if it did happen both days.

4. Spencer

Spencer Blues Newbie

Plus as soon as you get past the first couple solos, it's so much more than just 4 notes, it's playing and connecting the entire fretboard.

5. BignJames

BignJames Blues Newbie

Too true....the stage must be a giant eraser.

6. Steve G

Steve G St. Simons Island, GA

Happened to me as well & every time it did I went straight to the 4 note box.

7. stratogeezer

stratogeezer Blues Newbie

Never have jammed with anyone but SWS is a killer course.
    I could see how getting through SWS would give a soloist a leg up.
    I listened to Nenad's SWS solo 5 and was very impressed with both the solo and his playing.
    Seriously considering letting BGU solo 6 rest for a bit and taking up SWS again.
    Love those slow blues solos.

8. CJ_Allan

CJ_Allan Blues Newbie

I've been working through SWS & PTTB for over a year or so.
    Both GREAT Courses..... !! :)

But when it comes time to do some jamming.........well, that's a whole 'nuther world.......

Several months ago I found a Great DVD that really takes ya through how to jam......

I've pointed this dvd out a couple times here, but ...well.....

Anyway.....it's the "Blues Jam Survival Guide" from Trufire......
    This thing is great, & I really believe if you guys had gone through this, it would have put ya way up the ladder as far as confidence & Knowing what to do, & where to go, when ya get lost.....
    Anyway     might wanna give it a try........

http://truefire.com/techniques-guitar-lessons/jam-survival-guide/

Hope this Helps, & Really Hope some of ya at least check it out......

9. Lame_Pinkey

Lame_Pinkey Guest

Trufire has some good stuff, I have only visited this site a few times though.Thanks for pointing that out CJ (again) I obviously missed it the other times you posted the link.
    Trufire has a lot to offer, Keith Wyatt does quit a few things for Trufire too.
    Thanks again CJ I'll look into this.

LP

10. MikeS

MikeS Moderator... Another Man In Black.
    Staff Member

Cyber, I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you see the DVD. I was standing next to you and I though that you did a great job. Nothing to be remotely embarrassed about.

11. Tim

Tim Blues Newbie

Cyber!!! YES in deed!!

12. Cyberthrasher_706

And that's why I love having you guys around. Nothing but encouragement.

13. luckylarry

luckylarry Student Of The Blues

Thanks CJ. I just ordered the jam course. I want to come out of my self conscious shell (and maybe learn to spell as well). :)

14. Dr. Ron

Dr. Ron JUST FEEL IT AND PLAY!

I have the Beginning Blues Guitar, the BCU course and the Pentatonic Scales& Tech Mastery and have been playing these for months.  Is the SWS course a "must have" to add to this already great collection of courses or is there a lot of redundancy? I have been fretting (bad pun) over whether to buy it or not.  Would appreciate your opinions.
    Ron

15. henryj

henryj Blues Newbie

I would put it high on the list of things to buy.   

It has some very useful stuff and at the very least it is probably the most fun of all the courses.

16. Dr. Ron

Dr. Ron JUST FEEL IT AND PLAY!

Thanks Henryj!  My order just went out.  I appreciate it.
    Ron

17. vashondan

vashondan Blues Doobie

Just got mine.  Looks good. Now I've just got to find room for it in my routine.

18. MikeS

MikeS Moderator... Another Man In Black.
    Staff Member

SWS made ta big difference in my playing. I was at the point where I was playing the boxes, but asking myself what to do with them. After SWS I was able to move around the neck and find myself in new positions where using a different box made sense... if that makes any sense...  :-/

19. Alexander Blue

Alexander Blue Surfers Rule !!!

What Mike says is absolutely  right-on ... SWS :

Ya [glow=yellow,2,300]gotta have it !!![/glow]

20. giayank

giayank Just another day in paradise

I have had sws for about a month now.The knowledge of the fret board that was unlocked to me in a short time just makes me smile to myself.I'm playing with backing tracs and doing solo's I didn't know I had in me.I love the slow blues .But this method of playing is far from slow. In fact I'm playing faster licks and in different voicings all over the fretboard.I find the solos to be easier than Griff's other courses but with a little imagination you can make them into any style you're looking for.I always thought of reasons not to memorize the notes of the fretboard with this course I can'thelp but want to learn them all it's just opens up the whole music world to me.Or it at least the world as I know it at this time. As I go on I'm sure ther'll be more revelations [smiley=beer.gif]