I think I just partially retired

Elio

Student Of The Blues
After 28 years of teaching for the Cal State University system, I thought I would probably teach another 2-3 years there before considering retiring. Yesterday (with classes beginning next week), I discovered that due to COVID related cutbacks, one of my classes was cancelled, dropping my load below the threshold needed to maintain my health insurance benefits.

My options were to either take a pay cut and pay my health insurance out of pocket, or to retire the same day with the ability to keep all my benefits into retirement and make more money than if I were working. Although filing my retirement paperwork was the furthest thing from my mind when I woke up yesterday morning, that is what I spent my afternoon doing. I still have my consulting business and my occasional teaching at another school to keep me busy, but yesterday turned out to be a surreal day!

Last edited:

BigMike

Blues Oldie
Elio, I know everyone's circumstances are different , but for what its worth, retirement some 13 months ago now was the best thing I ever did. Granted, financially we are in good shape and my wife still has 4 years of earning good money, but its the freedom it gives you and the ability to follow what you want to do and not live by somebody else's clock. Sounds like you will be OK so best of luck to you mate.

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
I like to think that the decisions that are made for me, are the easiest decisions I have to make.
It sounds to me as if you have it mostly figured out already. The more you think about it, the more options you will have to choose from.
...and when they do come crawling back, you'll be in a position of power! ;)

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Go for the GOLD! I retired in January 2009, and truly love it! Take advantage of any and all opportunities that come your way. Getting to the "finish line" is not an easy task, but it is enjoyable to remember the many steps that lead up to it. Something else that is enjoyable is to remember the good people that helped you along the way. As for those people who were "the wrong end of the horse" during your employment years, those are best forgotten! :)

Tom

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Congrats dude! Yeah i am somewhere close i hit 65 in April and it is more than possible financially now to unhitch but i am still thinking 67 youngest daughter has 2 1/3 years left in Johns Hopkins Medical School ...

Its getting closer for me!

When are you coming back to Cleveland!!

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
After 28 years of teaching for the Cal State University system, I thought I would probably teach another 2-3 years there before considering retiring. Yesterday (with classes beginning next week), I discovered that due to COVID related cutbacks, one of my classes was cancelled, dropping my load below the threshold needed to maintain my benefits. My options were to either take a pay cut and pay my benefits out of pocket, or to retire the same day with the ability to keep them into retirement and make more money than if I were working. Although filing my retirement paperwork was the furthest thing from my mind when I woke up yesterday morning, that is what I spent my afternoon doing. I still have my consulting business and my occasional teaching at another school to keep me busy, but yesterday turned out to be a surreal day!

I remember being fed up with the work I was doing for a year or so before I retired (can it really have been 15 years now???) , but when my company offered me early retirement I took it. The first year was strange and uncertain, but I'm SOOOO glad it happened when it did. I started playing guitar again, found Griff and eventually started gigging. I wouldn't trade the past 15 years for ANY job.
You'll get past the initial shock & settle into a routine. By the way you will probably be so busy you will wonder how you EVER had time for a job!

So I'll just say congratulations!!!

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Congrats dude! Yeah i am somewhere close i hit 65 in April and it is more than possible financially now to unhitch but i am still thinking 67 youngest daughter has 2 1/3 years left in Johns Hopkins Medical School ...

Its getting closer for me!

When are you coming back to Cleveland!!

I have a daughter starting graduate school this year, possibly at USC. So I need a few more years as well.

I have a consulting client in Pittsburgh who already paid just before COVID for me to provide on-site training last year, and cousins in Cleveland to visit. ...and for as much time as I've spent there, I still haven't made it to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The plan last year was to fly into Cleveland, do all those things, then meet up with Dennard, and then drive to Kalamazoo. Sooner or later I'll make it back out.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
I have absolutely no doubt that you will turn this unexpected event into something even more positive for you than you might imagine at the moment.
I also became rather suddenly and somewhat unexpectedly retired a little over 9 years ago, and it has been absolutely wonderful. I also did some consulting for a while at insanely high rates per hour (I almost felt guilty, but almost doesn't count). I'm busier than ever and have the time and ability to help my family in ways I could not do before.
I'm sure you will find that silver lining in no time.
Congratulations on your new start in life!!!

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Being retired can be such a joy! Have a purpose in life (mine is music), and enjoy every day. Before you know it, you will wonder how you had time for a working career? The time passes quickly and it is up to you to do with it as you like. :)

Tom