I lost it

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
When I was going through both speed building courses when they came out I was up to the 3rd level. Now I went back to review and see how I could play them again .I started at level 2 figuring I'd just warm up there but a no go. I need to start back at level 1. Bummer. Thoughts?

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
When I was going through both speed building courses when they came out I was up to the 3rd level. Now I went back to review and see how I could play them again .I started at level 2 figuring I'd just warm up there but a no go. I need to start back at level 1. Bummer. Thoughts?

I think you just need to give yourself more time to warm up.

Once you build speed it's there and it's a skill you don't lose -- much like riding a bike.

I've built a considerable amount of speed and facility and I use it fairly often. But if I don't play for a few days, it sometimes takes as much as 15 to 30 minutes to get back to a point at which I can just call upon it as needed.

But it always comes back.

I've also found that after an extended layoff, speed sometimes comes back in pieces and so rather than trying to hit the gas all at once, I try to introduce bits and pieces here and there until I've fully warmed up and all of my muscles are relaxed and ready to go.

And the "relaxed" part is huge.
I play much better by leaps and bounds when I'm relaxed than if I try to force myself to do things.

Don't beat yourself up.
If it was there before it will come back. Just don't try to force it.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I do the speed building courses just to keep my dexterity sharp. I generally just do level 2 as it takes more practice to stay at level 3. Sometimes I think doing level 1 is good just to keep more feeling in what I play. Level 1 requires better timing and I like to think "feeling." I need to branch out and do other things besides speed building so level 2 is fine for me....... :Beer:

Jack

Blues Junior
I'm sure you'll work your way back up to level 3 much faster than you did the first time. Just need to re-familiarize yourself with the stuff.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
That's one of my favorite courses. Although I haven't used it for speed lately, I was hoping a few of the licks would become ingrained in my psyche so I can use them at a jam or gig, and they did!! :D