I gave up.

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
All I can say is I'm not going to be as good as my guitar heroes from the 80's but that's ok but also I wish I'd not taken a self imposed hiatus when I got married and started a family for 20 years.. I started back 3 yrs ago when I found griff. I do it now cause I can and have loved music all my life. Another reason is I want to learn guitar stuff is to keep my mind hopefully sharp as I grow older. The boys on this forum are my competition now not Eric Clapton or George Lynch.

artyman

Fareham UK
My wife was at the hospital today for around six hours, so after fixing a couple of plumbing issues, I had some 'me' time before collecting her, so I fired up the amp in the back bedroom, further away from the neighbours. Turned the volume beyond what I'm normally allowed., and my 30 minutes of playing sounded great, at least I thought so. I was greatly encouraged today, we all have off days, but sticking at it is the key, no one got worse by practicing more.

dwparker

Bluesologist
I am sorry to hear that you are feeling a bit frustrated with learning to play the guitar. As others have said, we all go through this. But that being said, it still is a sucky feeling.

I am convinced that learning to play an instrument is like learning a new language, and ask any adult who has taken up new languages and become fluent in it, it is a long road that takes time, years, so patience is a key.

I do have an honest question, and please don't be offended by it. That is not my intent at all. You write about multiple courses you have studied from and a little course paralysis in deciding what to study from so many availableboptions. So my question is, how many courses/books have you completed from start to finish, mastering the material presented in the content of the course, before moving on to the next course?

Also, how many songs do you know, even at a basic level, and how often do you play them for enjoyment? I know that personally I can spend too much time on technique building, working on course materials, etc., and forget about why I am studying the guitar in the first place, which is to play music which I enjoy. I feel that one should always be working on a song as part of ones practice regime.

Hang in there!

Last edited:

MarkRobbins

Blues Junior
...how often do you play them for enjoyment? I know that personally I can spend too much time on technique building, working on course materials, etc., and forget about why I am studying the guitar in the first place, which is to play music which I enjoy. I feel that one should always be working on a song as part of ones practice regime.
I'm certainly no one to give anybody any advice, but I agree with this. I know I'm not very good. But then I also remember that I'm 70 years old, and I picked this up in retirement just for me. I know I'm not going to be in a band or perform in public. So I keep plugging away, every day, and I make sure that one day a week, I just play songs. No lessons, no drills, just play songs. Because that's all I wanted to be able to do when I started this.