I finally got a job!!!

KevenKanten

Blues Newbie
Okay, I invested big bucks to train in heavy equipment to change my careers. the lesson I learned was, ask the right questions from the industry. Made the mistake of asking "how do you feel about hiring people who acquire formal training on the equipment" when I should have asked if they would hire someone in such a position who didn't have experience in construction (etc.). So, 28G later, a short stint until the snow came, zero income for 8 months and now that I've sought employment doing what I have been good at for decades, I'm employed. Not as a dozer/excavator/grader operator or anything I invested my cash to do.

Lesson learned. At least life isn't on hold anymore. Heck, I might be able to go to the Memphis International Blues Challenge this next time. Or maybe the BGU 4.

Off to the cabin in the bush for the first time since April. I'll be alone this trip so with the peace and quiet, I'm taking the zoom recorder, the CBG, the acoustic, and I'm going to try to record the songs I've written since with the time off I can now play them flawlessly.

If it all works out I'll have some noise to share with you. I know... promises, promises... its not been a good year for ol' Kranky.

What am I doing. Selling hog/beef casings and spices plus other supplies to mostly butchers. Apparently there is expectation for me to turn their inside customer service department around. 3 days in and I'm actually enjoying it. Perfect timing too... the heat wave is underway and I get to spend the day in air conditioning. Though the house is 80+ when I get home. Can't have it all.  [smiley=beer.gif]

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
Can you get me a good deal on some Canadian Back Bacon?  :D

Good deal on the job - and you've added skills that you may yet end up using. ;)

Kevin (the non-cranky one)

giayank

Just another day in paradise
Glad to here your back working . Good luck and congrats . My experience has been the best time to look for a new job is when you already have one .You don't prepare for opportunity when it comes you have to be ready for it when it shows up . You never know where the future will take you . [smiley=beer.gif]

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Congratulations on the job Kev. I believe things happen for a reason, so don't write of your training just yet, except on your taxes.

The important thing is your healthy and happy. We really don't require much more than that. Cept maybe a beer or two or 23. [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

The Original non-cranky Kevin

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Congrats on finding a new job!  Hey, construction is boom and bust, but people always have to eat!  So maybe it's for the better?

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Congrats Kevin.  Hope all continues to go well and you can haul your cranky butt out here for BGU Live 2015.   ;)

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Working with butchers hey, that's[glow=yellow,2,300] offal[/glow] good news.  ::)
<Groan>  ;D  Took me a minute on that one!

Keven, congratulations on the new employment!  Fridays are so much better when there is a paycheck waiting at the end of the day!

I hope this short sabbatical to the cabin leads to another one of your originals.  Bad man is still my favorite tune of yours.  Wife Ain't Dead is a close second, but I think I identify with Bad Man a lot more!  [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

Excellent news, Kev. At least you'll get to "meat" people in your new job and maybe you'll also get the chance of a few cut price "joints".  ;)

KevenKanten

Blues Newbie
thanks guys. i'm so dang happy.

so, I started work and this week (day 4) they let my boss go! woah! Owner had a talk with me and we seem to be seriously on the same level about business.

So, 7 works days under the belt, and the know it all guy that's teaching me who was critical of the guy that hired me in terms of "expectations of my ability to learn their system and be up and running" gave me a big compliment at the end of the day.

"Keven. I must say that you have mastered this system and learned the product line faster than I thought was possible by anyone."

I just told him I would take that as a serious compliment and that I hoped I could continue to impress.

One more week and he's gone on 2 weeks holidays and I'm the lead inside sales/customer service guy.

Song recording. Made three basic recording which I should be adding tracks to. Another original song with no lyrics which I hope can work with something I've already written needing a tune... we'll see how it works.

I'm going for a more sophisticated recording than my other primitive recordings.  Heck, I might have to recruit someone with a better voice to sing.

Now... I have to get some balance in my time to dedicate to this and finish writing the book I started during unemployment.

And... of course, the family crises keep coming. After becoming unemployed, the loss of my son inlaw (RIP) and my daughter having to deal with an extremely selfish mother inlaw + misinformed family (what a struggle!), now my son's apartment has been infested with Bed freakin' bugs (big monsters too!), we are now scrambling to cook his clothes and monday we move his stuff into a heat chamber (what hasn't been junked). He won't be returning to the apartment and the management there are rather lackadaisical over the situation though tenants are beginning to reach the boiling point. They have no idea what legal course my son has found out about against them. But, my son has made a bid on a small 1954 house close by to us and it was accepted. 200G? damn, prices are crazy in this city. At least his mortgage payments will be close to what his rent was. 

I hope things settle down soon.

I have the Edmonton Blues Fest next weekend and then volunteerism for the Edm Blues Society's Memphis Blues Challenge to free up time for. 

Life is at least moving ahead and with a job, certainly feels a lot better despite the bumps in the road.

samwell

been here.....
Congrats Kev, sounds like you got a plate full :cool:   Glad it's workin' out.... [smiley=beer.gif]

ChazInFlint

They call it the Blues, but I can't stop smiling!
And... of course, the family crises keep coming. After becoming unemployed, the loss of my son inlaw (RIP) and my daughter having to deal with an extremely selfish mother inlaw + misinformed family (what a struggle!)

Keven,

It has been my experience that death can bring out the worst in the living. Sorry for you loss.

Glad to hear that life's curve balls have begun to turn into hittable pitches for you.