I Believe

vashondan

Blues Doobie
Who's working on this baby.  Fun to learn. A little problem with the rhythm for with the two note half step slides but working out.  My biggest issue is that its Long!  It'll be a while before I get the WHOLE thing down. 

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
Just started last week. I have the 12 bar intro down so far. I like it!

daddymac11

Blues Newbie
I've been working on it for two weeks. It's really helping me learn to count properly. A lot of the song repeats with slight variations so although it's long it goes faster as you work through it. I recommend you start on the "Section" parts of the song that are broken out (Page 18) after the entire song is shown.

vashondan

Blues Doobie
I've been working on it for two weeks. It's really helping me learn to count properly. A lot of the song repeats with slight variations so although it's long it goes faster as you work through it. I recommend you start on the "Section" parts of the song that are broken out (Page 18) after the entire song is shown.

I've gotten through that first solo so am pretty far along the first pass.  You're right, a lot of repetition and, as Griff points out in the video, no one could remember where each and every up or down stroke appears in the song.  I'm having fun learning it for sure.  Looking forward to finishing the first run and then getting in memory to play.

I too have enjoyed the counting and the way that Griff has broken it down into section to master(?) and then move on. 

miko

Blues Newbie
Working on it. I am just after the guitar solo.

I am playing it at 90% speed for now. Speed is an issue for me. Once I know it all I will slowly inch it towards 100% speed. Just need to clean a few licks here and there.

vashondan

Blues Doobie
It's great Chuck isn't it.  It can be used in lots of other things as well.

Just for benchmark purposes, how much time are you devoting to the song?  I've been taking it in small doses, mostly because I'm working on other things, and am at the end of the solo but am still working out a few kinks in the timing.  Not quite ready to play it straight through.

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member

Just for benchmark purposes, how much time are you devoting to the song?  I've been taking it in small doses, mostly because I'm working on other things, and am at the end of the solo but am still working out a few kinks in the timing.  Not quite ready to play it straight through.

@ Tony, yes, I'm lovin it! I plan on using the Intro on another song I play in E at about the same tempo. It's a Great intro.

@ Vashondan, Examples, any 12 bar medium tempo in E (IE, Pride and Joy, Sweet Home Chicago are a couple off the top of my head) I have one that I'm already using this intro on and it works great!

I usually try to spend 30 minutes a day on my practice. Usually early in the morning, When I get off after work, I sit down with the guitar and see if I can remember what I was was doing that morning. If not, I re-watch the video and again in the evening for a refresher. My stuff in the evening isn't structured practice like my morning session, it's me sitting in the recliner with my guitar working through the fingering again while watching news or something. More relaxation than anything else.

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
You guys are way ahead of me.  I downloaded the lesson, but now I can't find it on my PC.  :mad:

Guess I'd better get it again.

JN99

Hang Fire
You guys are way ahead of me.  I downloaded the lesson, but now I can't find it on my PC.  :mad:

Guess I'd better get it again.

Dunno Marv, sounds like the electronic equivalent of the "dog ate my homework" excuse!   : ;D

TonyS

Blues Newbie

I worked on it over a few nights and had some great fun.

Rockybottom

Senior Bluesman
Its a great piece and useful for lots of other messing around stuff.  I did the first few pages and then put it down to do some exam stuff elsewhere.  Funny thing is, I started using it as a warm up and after a few weeks I suddenly found that it was much simpler than i originally thought and all the little bits that griff refers to as "I think that's what I play" suddenly fell into place.  I will be getting back into it when I finish me grade exam pieces, hope you all enjoy it.

:) :) :) :cool:

lmoranti

Blues Newbie
Well....I have finally made it to the end of Section 1 (the 1st solo) at 75% of full speed....so do I record that section now or just move on and wait till I have the whole song....decisions decisions....

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
I'm just getting started with this piece and I'm wondering...

...for those who have it down, how long did it take you to work it out?

Anyone else working on it now?

thanks

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
Should be getting mine in the mail  from blk Friday deal tomorrow.then I'll be working on it as well.

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Mr Scary

I believe that by purchasing the DVD package you are also given access to the online package! Just so you know. I think you should be able to login to your BGU account and get started on BGIAB!

I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

Steve_Sawyer

Blues Newbie
I'm just getting started with this piece and I'm wondering...

...for those who have it down, how long did it take you to work it out?

Anyone else working on it now?
I'm working on it now, but I've only gotten through the intro and have been working on getting that real "clean".

I find that as my muscle memory is getting better, I rely less on the step-by-step walk-throughs, and more on the full-speed demo and the tab. I have used a couple of video tools to slow things down to about 80%, get the timing and fingering down, then bring the speed up to 100% and just keep looping it until I'm satisfied.

The 12-bar intro took me about a good hour to get down. Not perfect, but good enough to be able to keep up at 80%. When I came back to it the next day, I had to do a few run-throughs to get it back under my fingers since it was still new, but was able to crank it back to 100% and start looping it. It also tends to get stuck in my head so for anything I'm working on, I'm kinda doing it mentally a lot which helps.

I can handle the intro now at full speed, with maybe 95% accuracy (still a little ragged in spots) but I hope to get back to it this week, and pick up with the rhythm & fills for the first verse.

This seems to be my typical modus operandi now - It takes me about an hour to learn a 12-bar verse, then I probably spend double that practicing, and practicing and practicing it until it's good enough to move on to the next lesson. I haven't done the math, but if I can put the time in, I should have this whole song down in a few weeks.

If the LOML gets me the 6-string bass on my Christmas list, all bets are off as I'm going to get a bit distracted with that!!  ;)