How to ?

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
For the recording afficianados.........

I am recording a new song, and this one I am actually using a my DAW instead of a video camera, so I have hopes for it.

The issue is, I am sending the music to Oklahoma for a friend to sing, and I am trying to figure out the best way to do it, my thoughts are

- send her a recording, have her get someone with an audio interface to record the vocals, and send back to me without the music

this way I can basically copy and place where I need too. But what format should I have them send back to me ?

There is something called stems, or WMA.................I dont think MP3 as I will need to be able to add the effects. I do need to be able to add the room simulation , maybe some echo and such

oh, and did I say, I think this one might actually , hopefully be good

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
You’ve got a good plan.
Here’s my recommendation:

-File type
You can send your backing track to her in WAV or MP3 format.

-Capturing the vocals
She does not need to use a DAW.
The objective is to be able to hear your backing track (thru headphones) while she records her vocals on a separate track.
Any good recorder can do that just as well as a DAW.
When thinking about recording vocals consider the mic.
When using a DAW/Interface arrangement you'd need a decent mic to plug into the interface.
Alternately, a good hand held recorder with built in mic would be a good choice or perhaps a USB mic into the computer with no interface.
Give her some coaching on mic placement to reduce pops from being too close and to maintain a consistent distance from the mic ( not moving away or turning her head while singing)
It would be best to be in a quiet room maybe even in a closet while singing.

-Her file format
She can do WAV or MP3 but if she uses MP3 she should select the highest resolution MP3 available on her device.

For best results you want her vocal isolated from your backing track.
That’s why she should listen and sing with headphones so only her voice is recorded on her track.
Have her record several takes so, you can select the best or, if you know your way around in the DAW, you can cut and paste the best parts into one seamless take.

You will import her file/files into your song as a new track or tracks and do your mixing magic.

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
You’ve got a good plan.
Here’s my recommendation:

-File type
You can send your backing track to her in WAV or MP3 format.

-Capturing the vocals
She does not need to use a DAW.
The objective is to be able to hear your backing track (thru headphones) while she records her vocals on a separate track.
Any good recorder can do that just as well as a DAW.
When thinking about recording vocals consider the mic.
When using a DAW/Interface arrangement you'd need a decent mic to plug into the interface.
Alternately, a good hand held recorder with built in mic would be a good choice or perhaps a USB mic into the computer with no interface.
Give her some coaching on mic placement to reduce pops from being too close and to maintain a consistent distance from the mic ( not moving away or turning her head while singing)
It would be best to be in a quiet room maybe even in a closet while singing.

-Her file format
She can do WAV or MP3 but if she uses MP3 she should select the highest resolution MP3 available on her device.

For best results you want her vocal isolated from your backing track.
That’s why she should listen and sing with headphones so only her voice is recorded on her track.
Have her record several takes so, you can select the best or, if you know your way around in the DAW, you can cut and paste the best parts into one seamless take.

You will import her file/files into your song as a new track or tracks and do your mixing magic.

This is her first time recording an original song. She is actually what I would refer to as a vocalist, not a singer / performer.

Meaning, she will have to resist the urge to be perfect on notes. When we were young she did all teh choir stuff in church and school, so she is used to singing with others and knowing what notes to hit.

She has never taken an original song and put her own feeling into it, or her own thoughts and ideas. She was great way back when doing CHurch songs like hallelughia. She found a place locally where she can go in for an hour and record, the only reason I thought stay away from MP3 was it was already compressed ?

Back in the day, she could have held her own with Pat Benetar, but it has been 35 years

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
only reason I thought stay away from MP3 was it was already compressed ?
Well, you're right! The ideal situation would be to have her take as a WAV file.
It's a trade-off, as anything saved as MP3 will have some loss. 320K MP3s are pretty good,
If I was doing the project I would prefer a WAV file, but an MP3 is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Sounds like you've got a good partner in this project.
Wave files can provide better resolution but, they are much larger than MP3s so be sure to have a way to exchange large files.
Don't fret using MP3 though, for most of the stuff folks like us do MP3 will be fine if you go that way.

Keep us posted!

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Sounds like you've got a good partner in this project.
Wave files can provide better resolution but, they are much larger than MP3s so be sure to have a way to exchange large files.
Don't fret using MP3 though, for most of the stuff folks like us do MP3 will be fine if you go that way.

Keep us posted!
Dropbox is free and easy to use. If she gets a good iso recording, it's just as easy to transfer a wav as an mp3 file via Dropbox.