How to sight read Frank Zappa

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Vinnie Colaiuta is one of my favorite drummers of all time! And sight-reading "The Black Page" while eating sushi is one of the reasons why. (y)

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Vinnie is hands down one of my favorite drummers. Listening to him and Jeff Beck together is truly magical.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Vinnie is hands down one of my favorite drummers. Listening to him and Jeff Beck together is truly magical.

I'm thinking "Live at Ronnie Scott's".

I first saw that show on cable and I was blown away by just about everyone. I say "just about" because that performance was so high energy that Clapton and Joss Stone actually slowed things down.
And of course Tal Wilkenfeld made her presence known to the world.

Great show!

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I'm thinking "Live at Ronnie Scott's".

I first saw that show on cable and I was blown away by just about everyone. I say "just about" because that performance was so high energy that Clapton and Joss Stone actually slowed things down.
And of course Tal Wilkenfeld made her presence known to the world.

Great show!

I've watched every one of those Ronny Scott's videos multiple times. There's a great interview somewhere with Jeff Beck talking about how he was a little self-conscious playing playing there initially. What I wouldn't give to have been in that audience! In case you've never seen it, here is Rick Beato's interview with Vinnie.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I think both Beck and Colaiuta are two of the most unassuming and often self effacing "superstars" you'll ever see. I'm sure they each have fully functional egos but they come off as regular people - like guys you could picture as your next door neighbors.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I think both Beck and Colaiuta are two of the most unassuming and often self effacing "superstars" you'll ever see. I'm sure they each have fully functional egos but they come off as regular people - like guys you could picture as your next door neighbors.

I totally agree. I love when celebrities are like that. Through a strange quirk of fate, a few years ago I found myself sitting in a little patio in an outdoor mall eating ice cream with Bob Newhart (it turned out we had mutual friends that were both there). I told my wife later that having a conversation with him was literally like chatting with my neighbor over the back fence.