How to record.

Bob630

Blues Newbe
Is there an easy way to record my playing using a iPad or computer without having to use special setups or complicated software? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Steve_Smith

Blues Newbie
I have a spare one of them in the cupboard now Bob as I brought a focusrite solo yesterday. Shame you’re not in the U.K. as you could have had it FOC. Not sure of postage costs to NY though

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Is there an easy way to record my playing using a iPad or computer without having to use special setups or complicated software? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you just want to record your guitar for practice and review don't buy anything. Your iPad comes with an app called "Voice Memos" and it works like an old cassette recorder. Push record and play your guitar. Push stop. If you want to save it push "done" and name the file (for practice I use the date and approximate time e.g. I'd name this mornings file 2019-07-27-exercise-22.5)

You could also use the video camera for the same thing.

If you want to get into something to record for uploading then GarageBand, if it isn't already on your iPad, is free at the app store. Or at least it used to be. Then you'll be better off with an interface. Rather than the one JP shows you'd be better off getting one with a lightning connector like this one

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...2-guitar-interface-for-iphone-ipad-mac-and-pc

it costs more but will do a better job. The one with the 1/8" TRRS plug is really intended for iPhones and iPads from before 2013.

GarageBand is pretty simple to use by DAW standards but it does still have a learning curve.

Eric

Bob630

Blues Newbe
I guess my memory sole inserts need to be replaced. I totally forgot that the Boos eBand JS8 I have has a recording function. So I guess problem solved.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Well as DAWS go, it doesn't get much simpler than Audacity.

It may not be the best for complex recordings with overdubs (though it can be done), but for recording yourself or over a backing track, it's perfect...and it's free. :)