How To Extend A Backing Track?

JohnHanau

Blues Newbie
Other than looping a backing track over and over in a digital audio work station, how can I lengthen a backing track and convert this into a longer Mp3 file? I understand I can cut and paste the first few measures out of the beginning and end and blend the tracks together avoiding the dead time at the beginning and end. Thus creating a lengthy and more continuous backing track. Is there any simple way to do this? Thanks in advance.

John

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Is there any simple way to do this? Thanks in advance.
Not really, unless you make your own backing tracks from scratch.
I will offer you this one piece of advice... Like any other skill, you get better at it, the more frequently you do it.
Another thing I frequently do is put the "splice" somewhere other than at the very beginning of progression, like at the change to the IV chord or just before the turn-around. You can get away with a little less precision with those cuts.

One thing I found that helps me is working with DAW software that allows me to have two iterations visible on the timeline. I can usually push or pull the second copy to the point where it syncs perfectly with the first one. Once that's done I can cut them both cleanly and pair them up.

It isn't rocket science and so long as you don't accidentally save an edited version over your original filename (done that, more than once), you can go back and retry it as many times as it takes to get it right.