how to do muting in ex 8-9 and 8-10?

roudan

Blues Newbie
Hi Griff,
I have trouble doing muting for ex 8-9 and 8-10 in the course of Classic Rock Unleashed. I can slowly do muting using palm muting but it slow down my playing a lot. I watched your video and your muting is very subtle. And the muting using palm should be consistent with alternate strumming motion. I cannot figure out how to do it. I did ask the similar question before in Classic Rock forum and nobody answered me. So I have to ask here. Could you please advise me how do you do muting in ex 8-9 and 8-10 in Classic rock course? Thanks

Last edited:

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
@roudan I'm not sure that there is any specific thing to do here, I fear it's just a matter of practice.

If you consider the palm mute an action that gets it's own count and time, that helps (for me.) In 8-9, for example, I strum on beat 1, and on beat 2 I place my right hand on the strings. It's not really difficult because the previous chord has been ringing out at that point.

Between the D/F# and the G5 it might get a little tricky, but you're going to be changing chords anyway during that beat, and you should be muting with your right hand at that point to avoid extra noises anyway.

MANY guitar players have as their "default stance" to not touch anything on the guitar. This is how we learn as beginners because we tend to hit things we didn't intend to hit. But in reality, especially on electric guitar and especially with overdrive, you really need to have your "default" be with your picking hand muting all the strings.

When you get used to that being your default instead of your picking hand floating around, you'll find the muting isn't a bit deal at all anymore.