How hard do you hold the pick when strumming?

roudan

Blues Newbie
Hi Guys,

Initially, the tip of pick is perpendicular to the string, when strumming, the pick is rotated so the tip of pick becomes parallel to the string. So I have to adjust the pick. Does it happen to you? So I have to hold the pick really hard to prevent pick rotate or slips during strumming. So how hard do you hold the pick during strumming? Thanks

There have been posts on here from people who struggle with dropping their pick or having it slip in their fingers like you describe. The suggestion is usually to get a textured pick or one with a hole punched in it. The v-picks are famous for good grip and the maker claims they will take care of this issue. The headline on his website is "never drop your pick again".
https://v-picks.com/

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I just hold the pick as hard as necessary. If I'm strumming or picking softly, I hold the pick less firm. If I'm really digging in? I hold very firm. I think the key is to know and learn how to hold the pick just a very slight bit firmer than minimally necessary. Otherwise you might have the death grip on the pick and get tired or you will have the dainty grip and drop it.......... I spose that you can hold the pick very firm and still drop the pick? I don't think I've ever dropped a pick?

Last edited:

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I used to hold it with a death grip and was still always dropping it. These days, like mountain man said, I only hold it as hard as necessary.

One of the problems with never having any formal lessons before I had been playing for years is that I've got some really bad habits ingrained in my playing. I've discovered that one of those is that I hold the pick really far forward so that it strikes the strings behind where I'm holding it. For years that meant I was constantly dropping picks while I was playing because, no matter how tightly I was holding it, it was still getting knocked out of my fingers because I was barely holding onto any of it. Then I heard someone mention that they played with the side of their pick rather than the point. I tried that, and it fixed the problem for me. Now I hold the pick up at the point, and play with one of the side corners. Holding it that way gives me plenty to hold onto when I play.

As far as the perpendicular/parallel thing you mentioned, I've got no advice. I can't say that I've analyzed it, but I'm fairly certain that I have the pick pretty parallel to the strings the whole time.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Almost every guitar player goes through periods where they tend to drop the pick.

When you first start, you tend to hold it too tightly (most people do) and then as you get comfortable, you tend to loosen up - maybe a little too much. After a little time, you'll find it's natural and you don't have to think about it.

Don't spend time worrying about this particular detail, it will work itself out.