How does this work for you

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
I can play the pentatonic scale pretty well. It is a piece of cake at 60 bpm with quarter and 8ths. It is coming with triplets but not yet where it needs to be. The 16ths are the roadblock. So here is the question. I can play the 16th's on one string say using the 5-7. I can now hear the beat. If I try to add another note on the next string I quickly lose it. Is there a time where the fingers will move to the scale and all I have to do is count. The reason I ask this is because I have played this scale really a lot. I can't play it where I go into auto mode. Guess I am really wanting to nail this sucker as I won't move on until I own it, but right now it may own me. Hope my question is clear if not let me know and I will re-state it. Thanks guys. :)

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
Yeah Larry, the 16ths are quite a bit tougher.  I gave up the metronome until I could count it through completely 3 or more times. Then I went back to the metronome.

After you can count it through, play along with Griff several times before going on you own.

vashondan

Blues Doobie
Yeah Larry, the 16ths are quite a bit tougher.  I gave up the metronome until I could count it through completely 3 or more times. Then I went back to the metronome.

After you can count it through, play along with Griff several times before going on you own.

Are you counting while you're doing the trips and 16th? I can play through the first melodic pattern up to 16ths along with Griff and with the metronome but the minute I try to also count out loud at the same time I'm lost.  More so with the slurs. 

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
I do thte counting and playing. I can do the triplets most but not all the time. They are coming. I can hear the metronome beat as I play the triplets while counting. With the 16ths I can count them. I can play them a little if I just play one or two notes. If I try count the 16ths and play the pentatonic scale I am lost. If I stop trying to play the scale and just play one or 2 notes I am OK. My question then is will there ever be a time that I can play the scale without thinking about the fingering. So that it is in auto pilot and I just need to count the notes and pick. :)

vashondan

Blues Doobie
Can't do it. Just can't. Been working on that first melodic pattern all day trying to count the ones that include the slurs.  Can do everything but count them while playing.  Play with Griff, play with metronome, yes. Count outloud, NO.  Finally giving up for the day. 

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
At least you got to the 1st box pattern. I watched it and decided Griff may know what he is talking about. ;D I won't go on until I can play the 16ths in the pentonic box 3 times with no mistakes. In reality I am stuck on the 16ths. I will continue to work at this and hopefully I will see an improvement in a few days.

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member

Are you counting while you're doing the trips and 16th? I can play through the first melodic pattern up to 16ths along with Griff and with the metronome but the minute I try to also count out loud at the same time I'm lost.  More so with the slurs. 

Yes, I'm counting out loud as Griff recommends.  It has helped me and I think is necessary. It may even help with singing while playing later on. 

I don't move on until I can play along with Griff, Play along with the Metronome, and count it out on my own.

Counting out loud has been a problem for me but I'm getting there.

bluzgtr

Blues Newbie
Thanks all - Good info for somebody that just received the course and is just getting started with it.  Now my challenge is to balance this with SWS and finishing BBG.  Thanks, Mike

gpower

Blues Junior
To answer your initial question Larry, it will come to a point where you don't have think about what you're playing anymore. The old practice, practice, practice...

I think it helps a lot if you play licks within the patterns too. After time, you just begin to instinctively know where you're at in the pattern.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member

That's all I need to see - take the metronome away and count out loud while placing the notes. Really emphasize each down beat with your foot (I call this marking the beat.) You just need your ears to catch up and they aren't there yet.

Griff

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Don't be afraid to put it down for a day or two if you get frustrated. Sometimes your brain needs time to chew on things and when you come back it'll be better than when you left.

Griff

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Well, now I have the triplets working very well. I can keep the rythem, count,and can go over the 60 bpm to about 70 before I lose it. The 16ths are still a challenge but I can do 54bpm where before I had trouble at 40. This is progress and I think the in another week I will have it and be able to go on the next section. I have to admit this has been a real challenge but I know this is also the foundation I need. I went back to a jam track and found that my timing is so much better now (except for my nemisis the 16ths lol)

bluzgtr

Blues Newbie
For me, counting out loud works best; that is after I have the counting down with the metronome.  I think counting out load with the metronome in the background while playing is just too much for me to process.  I used to play drums way back so the counting isn't anything new to me but getting the fingers to react with the sounds coming from the mouth is the issue.  But all said, great course, huge challenge. I just about have the 16th notes down with Box 1.  I have already decided this is a course that will be with me a long time and I am willing to put in the time to get it down.  Example 3 right now is impossible for me and quite frankly, a little discouraging, but I give it some time at every practice session.  It all eventually comes together.  Thanks, Mike    

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Good for you BG. Take all the time you need. As for exercise 13 we all have problems with it. Someone (I think Griff) said go as far up the fretboard as you can. I found that I could only do a few frets at first. I can now get to the 1st fret but I reload the fingers when I get to the first frets. As this is not a timing thing but a stretcing exercise I have no problem putting the fingers in place and/or playing the string a few times until it sounds as a note and not muted. :)