How did you get here?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by 560sdl, Jan 28, 2010.

1. steve o

steve o Blues Junior

Welcome to the forum John, it’s awesome having you with us!!!:)

2. Rob63

Rob63 Blues Newbie

First post. "How did I get here?" I've been playing for years as a hobby and have purchased numerous books and also other video courses. Last year I took a chance on BGU and my playing and confidence level has progressed by leaps and bounds! This led me to purchase several other courses on this site. I don't know what it is but Griff's way of getting through seems to work for me (although the counting out loud doesn't work for me ;-) ). Also the daily videos in my email are an added bonus and a great way to start my day......I watch every single one.....take what's useful to me. Thanks Griff (BGU) for knocking down the doors and making my playing more fun.....which is what we all are looking for!

3. artyman

artyman Fareham UK

hi Rob and welcome from one of the UK mob, great bunch of people on here with plenty of advice and encouragement. When you get settled take a wander down to the basement and look in on the Virtual jam Room and join some of us in there trying out our skills, don't forget to bring the beer :D

Rob63 likes this.
  4. Rob63

Rob63 Blues Newbie

Just trying to find my way around this forum and what it has to offer.

PapaRaptor likes this.
  5. RichardCuellar

RichardCuellar Blues Newbie

Im here because I saw a few of Griff's videos on Youtube and I thought that of all the 'Tubers out there, he seemed more concerned with teaching blues guitar more from a working musicians perspective than a "Learn how to be a blues shredder!" viewpoint, which I have no use for. So, I bought his Blues Unleashed course and here I am!

PapaRaptor, Rob63, Jalapeno and 2 others like this.
  6. AndyHardy

AndyHardy Blues Newbie

I'm here because of Griff's digital marketing skills. I was targeted via Facebook. The content of his teaser videos really spoke to me, so I decided to give the blues another shot.

I picked up an acoustic about 25 years ago and went through phases, starting with about 2 years of formal classical guitar lessons, which eventually bored me. Not that it was easy or that I was great at it, but that I wasn't interested in the material. Then shifted to just strumming cords and singing on my own, because that's really what I really wanted to do. Then decided to get serious and learn (and record) blues from Cream, Muddy Waters, Elmore James, Johnny Winter, etc. I never was great at it, probably better than I think. Eventually I burned myself out by tackling pieces that were beyond me and beating myself up for not being perfect and growing tired of trying to be perfect. I definitely need to identify and accept being good enough.

So Griff's marketing made me realize that I still had those desires, but needed a better approach. I'm slowly working my way through BGU 2.0, while being pleasantly distracted by some of his playing on the porch videos. Now I find myself being drawn into slide guitar. I've progressed pretty well on the Intro to Slide course and am about to start the Five Easy Slide Solos.

So I have really enjoyed his approach and material so far. I love his daily e-mails, videos and FB teasers. The scope of material here has really opened my eyes up to new possibilities.

Grateful_Ed, steve o and sloslunas like this.
  7. steve o

steve o Blues Junior

Welcome to the forum Andy, it’s awesome having you with us!!!:)