How did you get here?

jimsig

Me at BGU-Live 2016 in Sumner, WA on 5-13-2016
I like to live on the edge as you can see from this picture! I did the CN Tower Edge Walk! So much fun!

OMG!! I am SOOOO scared of heights, that I break out into a sweat just looking at your picture! I live to live on the edge every way BUT physically. I'll let you know if I have any nightmares tonight after seeing this. :confused: :Beer: But more power too you Lola and it's really nice to meet you! (y)

lola

Blues Newbie
OMG I am drooling! Whoever said diamonds are a girl's best friend is full of doo doo! I would take a guitar over a diamond ring any day! I would love a Les Paul. Saving up for one! I figure that will complete my guitar collection perfectly! Some people have so many and they don't even play half of what they have!
I am just going for quality! You are too obviously!

I played my friends Les Paul at the rehearsal studio and it was absolutely surreal! Just handled so well! Love the tone! It just plays beautifully! Yup, I need one!

Your guitars are just gorgeous! (just slobbering all over myself) lol

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
OMG I am drooling! Whoever said diamonds are a girl's best friend is full of doo doo! I would take a guitar over a diamond ring any day! I would love a Les Paul. Saving up for one! I figure that will complete my guitar collection perfectly! Some people have so many and they don't even play half of what they have!
I am just going for quality! You are too obviously!

I played my friends Les Paul at the rehearsal studio and it was absolutely surreal! Just handled so well! Love the tone! It just plays beautifully! Yup, I need one!

Your guitars are just gorgeous! (just slobbering all over myself) lol
You might prefer the 60's necks. They are thinner than the Gary Moore which is based on the 59. I've got a 76 Custom and it has the thin neck. Not as thin as the SG, but it's thin for a Les Paul. I would not suggest a 70's era Les Paul, they weigh a ton. Play many if you can.

jimsig

Can I see yours? lol

I haven’t had a chance to put pics of all my gear up (will do so tomorrow) in the Media section, but here is my Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop, which is signed on the back of the headstock by Les Paul and signed now on the scratchplate by John Mayall.

I had an original Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop in the early 70’s, but was forced to sell it as I was literally a starving musician (just out of college with a BA in music - a lot of good that did me in so far as paying the rent! But I will never regret what I learned there, including a month of independent study on classical guitar with Elliot Fisk (a student of Andres Segovia). When Gibson put out their 30 year anniversary issue of this model, I got the exact same model I had in the 70’s. It has the thick neck (I prefer my Clapton strat’s thinner soft-V neck) and it’s WAY heavy (maple top, solid mahogany body and neck, weighs about 13 lbs), as mtman stated above. I swear I can give the low-E string a good pluck, go have dinner, and I can still hear some of the resonance of that note when I return (a slight exaggeration, but not too great of one - these guitars have a sound and resonance that’s unbelievable)!

In my personal opinion, the 30th anniversary model I have now (got in 2005 from Musician’s Friend) is better constructed and sounds better and even looks more beautiful than the one I got early in the 70’s (from Manny’s in NYC - where Clapton used to shop and where he bought his first wah-wah pedal). I just looked on sweetwater and the Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop’s (new) are no longer available.

There’s lots of discussions about various models of guitars, and chambered-“weight-relieved” vs. solid body Les Paul’s on The Gear Page at:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php and see specifically :

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...l-historic-chambered-vs-non-chambered.343947/

Unfortunately, my Les Paul is too heavy (and valuable) for me to lug to Sumner for the BGU Live Tacoma Master Class and gigs (I’m bringing my Clapton Olympic White Signature Strat named “Goldie” - which can almost sound like a humbucker guitar with the 25db mid-boost and TBX circuits he added to it pushed way up, plus the wood blocked tremolo inside - where a 9V battery for the mid-boost is also located).

But this Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop is a real Beauty, and that’s an understatement!! If you’re saving up to get one - that’s a smart move. GET ONE!! (n):D:Beer:

30543_1264414782443_884734_n.jpg jimsignorile.jpg l_6361a8b86561d4e9425a2856b1eb8316.jpg

Last edited:

jimsig

Eye Candy! Just gorgeous! Yummy!

Sorry for the descript! Girly, but hell yes! I am a girl! lol

It’s a perfectly apt description! It matters not at all if you’re guy or girl - if you’re into Blues and a Gear-head (with a bad case of GAS) then you fit RIGHT in here!! (y) I’m going to find all my decent guitar and amp and pedal photos I have and put them up in the “Show us your guitar-amp-pedalboard” thread! :D

BTW, if you want to see a Youtube video about the First 1954 Les Paul Black Custom guitar, which Gibson made especially for Les Paul, and was the guitar Les played for decades, see this link:

In 1976 Les gave this guitar to Tom Doyle, Les Paul's personal guitar-man, luthier, sound engineer, co-inventor, and close personal friend of over 45 years, and Tom shows us the guitar here, and all the changes Les made to it over the years.

I was very fortunate because the bass player in my old Blues band, who I was good friends with, had previously lived right next door to Tom Doyle.amd through Tom, he got to know Les Paul, even being invited to dinner at Les’ house in Mahwah, NJ. So as I got to also be friends with Tom, he would do things like getting us front table seats as Les’ shows at the Iridium in NYC, and I could call Tom to find out when Les was in a good mood, so that if I brought my Les Paul guitar to the Iridium, Les would be sure to sign it. Tom even helped me out by taking my Les Paul case from at the Iridium, and keeping it with him in the sound engineer’s booth, and then as soon as the show was over, he brought my guitar right up to the table where he knew Les would be sitting, so I was first in a LONG line of people waiting to get their guitars signed, and Tom even arranged for the photo of me sitting with Les, and then after I had printed out a color copy of it, I gave that to Tom and Tom got Les to sign it for me, and then he gave it back to me.

Tom used to play shows with his own brand of guitars nearby at a small bar and would invite us and have dinner with us, and let us try out his own guitars, and he’s a top notch guitarist as well - which Les Paul made him keep sort of “hidden” (that’s why Tom only played at small venues - which since Les is gone now Tom is not longer restricted, and he often headlines himself at the Iridium on the same night Les used to have the place to himself). Tom used to even drive Les each week to and from the Iridium, and so he would have a good idea of what mood Les was in, which we could call him and find out about.

Last edited:

lola

Blues Newbie
I don't really consider myself a gear head per say! I will probably stick with my pedals that I have! I like them! They fit the bill perfectly! I will never get rid of my guitars because I love them too much and they're just amazing. My passion for my guitars runs really deep! They are a part of me! The only thing I need is an Orange amp! They just suit my style of playing! The Orange amps at the studio where we practice kick some serious butt! It's so nice to be able to crank it up! The best feeling in the world! We sound seriously amazing as a band! Great equipment makes a big difference though.

jimsig

What a blow your mind cool story!

Sometimes, who you just happen to know can change the course of your life, especially if who you already know, knows other people you would never have a chance in h*ll of ever getting in touch with, interacting with, or just being able to get wonderful things from (like autographs on guitars, and sitting to next to one of the most famous musicians of the time (Les Paul) like you’ve been long time buddies, and then even getting your picture taken doing that, and having the famous person sign it personally to you. I know how very selfish that sounds, but SO often in music it’s who you know that counts (as long as you have the talent to carry on after that person has opened a door few ever get to walk through in the first place)!

I also have another cool, lucky story in that I grew up in the early 50’s in Astoria, Queens, right across the street from Melanie (The Melanie of “Candles in the Rain” and “Beautiful people”) and my mother says we used to hang out and play around our respective apartments… she in fact, was probably my very first friend. And I'm still get in touch with her and her son Beau is even more eager to stay in touch, since he thinks the fact that I was his Mom’s best friend 60+ years ago is super cool. I also saw her and Beau (who accompanies her and is an unbelievably gifted guitarist and cello player (but not on a regular cello, a synth cello shaped like a viola, that sounds exactly like a real cello and it accompanies Melanie’s singing and guitar playing beautifully). When I saw her, it was her first time back at “The Turning Point” - a cool, little restaurant with a bar and stage downstairs, where every night they have pretty famous people playing (I saw John Mayall and The Bluesbreakers, Hubert Sumlin, and other cool people there - and it’s such a small intimate place in Piermont, NY, so anyone can talk to whoever’s performing that night during a break, or before/after the performance), and Melanie used to play there a lot (over 50 times), but after her husband Peter died in 2010 she couldn’t bring herself to go to The Turning Point again, until that night 2 years ago! And I recorded her return to the TP concert, and she asked me for a copy and I sent it to her, as the guy running the place didn’t bother to record that very special night for Melanie.

And where would James Taylor be if Peter Asher (Paul McCartney’s relative and friend), who was a friend of James, hadn't recommended to Paul to have JT go over to Abbey Road to play for The Beatles. He then was given the first recording contract on the brand new Apple record label. Talk about who you know!

jimsig

I don't really consider myself a gear head per say! I will probably stick with my pedals that I have! I like them! They fit the bill perfectly! I will never get rid of my guitars because I love them too much and they're just amazing. My passion for my guitars runs really deep! They are a part of me! The only thing I need is an Orange amp! They just suit my style of playing! The Orange amps at the studio where we practice kick some serious butt! It's so nice to be able to crank it up! The best feeling in the world! We sound seriously amazing as a band! Great equipment makes a big difference though.

I agree 100%!! (y)(y)

lola

Blues Newbie
See, this is what legends are made of!

My husband used to do Canadian band merchandising for the likes of Bryan Adams, Honeymoon Suite, Deep Purple, Kim Mitchell aka Max Webster~! I got to meet Ian Gillian when they played at a small venue in Toronto, Canada! What a really nice person Ian is and he is so humble! Talked to me, looked me in the face! Just really cool guy! Bryan Adams was just full of himself! What else could I expect? Backstage looking out at all the people screaming for them. Party back on Kim Mitchell's tour bus! Talk about all your comforts of home! Wow! Got to hang out with Honeymoon Suite back in their heyday! It was magical being back stage and watching their fans go bat sh*t crazy! Their concerts back in the day attracted so many people. There now in too much of a comfort zone to try and reinvent themselves!

lola

Blues Newbie
OMG!! I am SOOOO scared of heights, that I break out into a sweat just looking at your picture! I live to live on the edge every way BUT physically. I'll let you know if I have any nightmares tonight after seeing this. :confused: :Beer: But more power too you Lola and it's really nice to meet you! (y)

That's really a nice welcome! And..................it's very nice to meet you too! I can't believe how many friends I have met in real life because of another forum I am on!

It is so nice talking to like minded people! I could never talk to my hubby about guitar craziness, he just doesn't understand my obsession! Instead, I have you all here! Just loving it! Starting to feel like home!

Thank you all for the wonderful welcome!

jimsig

That's really a nice welcome! And..................it's very nice to meet you too! I can't believe how many friends I have met in real life because of another forum I am on!

It is so nice talking to like minded people! I could never talk to my hubby about guitar craziness, he just doesn't understand my obsession! Instead, I have you all here! Just loving it! Starting to feel like home!

Thank you all for the wonderful welcome!

Yes, to many of us, THIS is HOME! :Beer:

lola

Blues Newbie
It's the pretentious, know it all people with bad manners that get me on other forums that I have been on!

Fingerlick

The Thrill is Gone
Griff's 4 note blues solo has attracted many to the forum and playing the blues on guitar David., including me. I always loved the blues but thought playing those long solos allover the neck was just beyond what I could ever hope to do. Then I stumbled upon the 4 note solo. In just a couple of hours I was playing the lick all the way through! I realized I could play the blues! I ordered Beginning Blues Guitar and Blues Guitar Unleashed and I haven't looked back. I'm still just a beginner but I learn something new every day. I'm having the time of my life. This forum is the best I've seen. Everyone here is so helpful and take a genuine interest in each other's progress. Visit often David, you will be glad you did.
welcome, welcome, welcome!
Dale

lola

Blues Newbie
I happened upon the 4 note solo a couple of years ago. It did attract me initially to the teachings of our Grande master Griff. I learned it and loved it! I have 3 of his courses. I am putting together the Blues on the Porch now for a simple band song but with a lot of embellishments, hammer ons, pull off, some trills thrown in for some pizzazz! It really does sound amazing. You can also keep on adding to the basic song and turn it into your own. This song just kicks! I love it!