How are you going through this course?

Discussion in 'Blues Solo Construction Kit' started by JeffreyS, Aug 5, 2017.

1. JeffreyS

JeffreyS You are never to old to learn something new.

Are you learning all of Position one licks 1st then going on to position two, etc?
    or
    Are you learning a lick from position one then a lick from position two, etc.

2. mountain man

mountain man Still got the Blues!

I learned them on position at a time. And then I use them as riff exercises which I go back to for fingering work so when I play notes just flow from my fingers........... at least the the goal......

3. Dr. Ron

Dr. Ron FEEL IT, COUNT IT, AND PLAY!

I just re-started this course for the 2nd time. Initially, I just tried to memorize them and use them. Wrong idea.
    I just forgot them. I now decided to make a solo for a song I jam with all the time. I am now seriously looking at
    each one. The licks that I pick, I tab them out so I can get the correct count. I had to change keys with some of
    the licks. The biggest helper was deciding to make a usable solo.

4. MikeS

MikeS Moderator... Another Man In Black.
    Staff Member

Ron, my first two attempts at this course, I did what you are doing, but I came to realize that even though I "created" the solo, I was again just memorizing a solo and couldn't pull pieces out as needed for "impromptu" soloing.
    In my third attempt, I'm going to try to take ONE lick (for instance Position 1, Lick One) use it to start "Noodling" over various jam tracks then I may skip the second position licks and just noodle for the second position. Then learn Position 3 lick x and play lick one... noodle... position 3 lick... noodle
    Then maybe go back and pick a different position 1 lick and in a 24 bar track first use Position 1, Lick one... noodle, position 3 lick x.. noodle
    int the 2nd 12 bars, I'll use Position 1 lick 2... noodle...position 3 lick x... noodle.
    Don't know if that made any sense to anyone but me....

GeoffreyWinn and Dr. Ron like this.
  5. Dr. Ron

Mike...keep us posted on how it goes. I see what you mean. Memorizing a solo is not my main objective either. I
    also want to have a repetroire of useful really cool licks to go to on the fly. I have already memorized a ton over
    the past few years as I'm sure you have. Keeping them fresh is one's memory is another issue. I think I have
    forgotten more licks than I can remember; but, I jam maybe once a month. Trying to keep them my "go to" memory
    bank is tough just jamming to backing tracks at home. It gets old also when I do attempt to just reinforce, reinforce, reinforce.
    Performing like you do seems to me to be a key hard wiring those licks. I guess turning professional
    is the key and then grinding it out on the road!

#5 Dr. Ron, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  6. Elio

Elio Student Of The Blues

I'm thinking Mike may be on to a good approach. I started it off trying to learn the licks first but I couldn't really remember any of them at the times they were needed. I'm thinking now that just picking one or two and then just using them relentlessly for a while may be the approach I need to hear the lick in different contexts and to get to the point that it comes to mind when needed. I remember's Griff describing his approach of using a new lick as much as possible to get a sense of where it fits, so this seems consistent.

I really need to come back to this course and get some traction with it.

Dr. Ron likes this.
  7. Dr. Ron

Strive for Griff's "3 gig" rule Elio. Use the lick successfully at 3 gigs in a row and you own it!

8. Elio

Elio Student Of The Blues

So what you're saying is that I have to find 3 people willing to listen to me play? :whistle:

Davy and Dr. Ron like this.
  9. JeffreyS

JeffreyS You are never to old to learn something new.

Mike how is your approach working for you?

10. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Student Of The Blues

I'll do it for $5

11. MikeS

MikeS Moderator... Another Man In Black.
    Staff Member

Uh... :cautious: Well....:cautious: I haven't tried it yet. :cry::cry::cry: