Hotseats! - August 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
OK... so for August I scheduled a couple of Hotseat sessions instead of technique talks because I think it'll be both fun and informative.

If you want to be considered for a hotseat, just leave a link to either an audio or video of you playing something in this thread so I can find it. Honestly I don't really care what it is. We'll take a listen and I'll give you some feedback on some things you might add or change and what might be improved.

This is something I really enjoy and I think you'll get a ton out of it. First session's coming up in about a week so get on it!

I don't know how many I'll have time to do each session, but 3 or 4 is my guess.

Also, please keep discussion about this to a different thread, I'm going to sticky this one so I can find it as needed.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I think I said I'll make a new thread, but it's not that long so I'll keep it here. Let's continue with this thread for submissions for the next hotseat in a couple of weeks.

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
I think I said I'll make a new thread, but it's not that long so I'll keep it here. Let's continue with this thread for submissions for the next hotseat in a couple of weeks.
Well,I did. The track I played over was from the 29 Jam track
CD. The Idea manual that comes with it gives suggestions on what to play so it shows A7,D7,E7 chord diagram above it so yeah I thought solo 7 in Key of A (which I said was Solo 6 from SWS but I had a brain fart) would fit. However looking at the sheet music is is indeed a Minor as the 1 chord.As Griff pointed out and even when I played it it wasn't sounding quite right but I thought it should so I just followed the 1,4,5 progression. Also really never have understood why until today what makes it Minor vs. Major. I've gone through Griff's theory course but that must have for over my head asking with some other stuff I'm sure. Time to revisit.
If I have this right a minor chord consists of the root, the minor third (3 frets down)and (7 frets down) the fifth.
(G Minor chord = G(root) + A#(minor third) + D(fifth))
A major chord consists of the root, the major third(4 frets down) and (7 frets down) the fifth.
(G Major chord = G(root) + B(major third) + D(fifth))

Yes that’s it. It’s that simple. Duh.

Thx Griff (not in a bad way though) for putting me in the chopping block or something like that you said cause I did indeed learn something and pay attention to what I hear and what I'm playing over.

Last edited:

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
figured I'd jump in at the last moment...working on the Blues Deluxe into (minus a few notes)...and got the first 5 bars or so recorded...about 30 seconds....here goes...hopefully I can finish this in a while...

Blue Deluxe Intro

...later.

cowboy

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Thought I'd try something different - acoustic. I've been working on ABGU for awhile and thought I could kill two birds with one stone, well, actually three! I made it a personal July Challenge to learn how to record a video with sync'd audio on the iMac. So, here's my ABGU Lesson #22 for review and critique!

HotSeat August 2018 jmin

D. R. Miller

Good News Blues
Thought I'd try something different - acoustic. I've been working on ABGU for awhile and thought I could kill two birds with one stone, well, actually three! I made it a personal July Challenge to learn how to record a video with sync'd audio on the iMac. So, here's my ABGU Lesson #22 for review and critique!

HotSeat August 2018 jmin

That was fantastic!! I may need to check that course out.

Status
Not open for further replies.