Hot Seat *FIXIT* Hideaway

Rad

Blues Newbie
No expert here, but I play the Freddy King original version. I think It was Jimmy Vaughn that said you don’t play the blues until you have learned Hideaway.

My quick comments.

Your notes were clean and crisp, very nice.
I might recommend you play it with a drum style backing track to help you keep your timing

I found the original Freddy King recording on YouTube and slowed it to 1/2 speed and played it countless times until I had the timing, then the same at 3/4 speed and full speed.

Counting out the timing will also help. An example for me was trying to get the timing on his run from the 12 fret to the 9th, then 7th, then back and forth between the 2nd and 4th, it kicked my butt until I realized it was just triplets and I then religiously counted it out each time I played it.

I think the original is about 130bpm.

I’m sure folks with far more experience that I will chime in with better advice.

Good job

Peter Wynne

Woke up fell outta bed drag a comb across my head
No expert here, but I play the Freddy King original version. I think It was Jimmy Vaughn that said you don’t play the blues until you have learned Hideaway.

My quick comments.

Your notes were clean and crisp, very nice.
I might recommend you play it with a drum style backing track to help you keep your timing

I found the original Freddy King recording on YouTube and slowed it to 1/2 speed and played it countless times until I had the timing, then the same at 3/4 speed and full speed.

Counting out the timing will also help. An example for me was trying to get the timing on his run from the 12 fret to the 9th, then 7th, then back and forth between the 2nd and 4th, it kicked my butt until I realized it was just triplets and I then religiously counted it out each time I played it.

I think the original is about 130bpm.

I’m sure folks with far more experience that I will chime in with better advice.

Good job
Do you have a recommended drum style backing track? I looked over youtube for one that matched the timing of the original which is what i attempted to play too. Thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Here is my first go at the hot seat routine warts and all. I have tried umpteen times to sit down and record this effort so any feedback is most welcome.

https://youtu.be/mxeGVhQWrMs

Seems like you have the notes down (Great job that!)
You seem like you are still listening to what you are playing and not the "band".
If you can't play it while listening to the track, then slow down the track until you can do both at the same time.

Rad

Blues Newbie
Do you have a recommended drum style backing track? I looked over youtube for one that matched the timing of the original which is what i attempted to play too. Thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated.

I often times use a simple but versatile drum program on my IPad and phone called Drum Beats. I like the one called Big Jazzy Shuffle for Hideaway. You can set and adjust to any bpm you want in 5 beat increments. I often times get sloppy with my timing in some songs so I go back and set a beat slow so I can play it clean then work my way back up.

You are doing great

Peter Wynne

Woke up fell outta bed drag a comb across my head
Seems like you have the notes down (Great job that!)
You seem like you are still listening to what you are playing and not the "band".
If you can't play it while listening to the track, then slow down the track until you can do both at the same time.

Mike and Rad - Thank you for the feedback. I have taken Mike's advice to heart and re-recorded the first two choruses while listening to the band. It sure sounds better when i can hear myself playing along with the band. What a wonderful thing!

https://youtu.be/H-SWHstZfPw

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
DUDE!!!
That's fantastic! That nailed exactly what I was talking about.

KurtTrampler

Blues Newbie
Good alternate picking... stay the course.

Thoughts
  1. Try to limit how deeply your pick penetrates the plane of the strings, so you're just getting enough to make the right sound. Your pick will dance rather than needing to come away from the strings in order to get to the next note.
  2. Tap your foot. I don't care if you count (Griff might, haha), but tap your foot. You'll be more accurate in time, and you will be more likely get the right accents.
My biggest issue, and it continues, is time. The more I play with people the better I get, but I am really trying to stay out of 'Kurt time.'
A little over a year ago I decided I'd learn to play Hideaway. I grew up on the Bluesbreakers version, and I love EC, so off I went.

I don't often try a note for note cover ... it's impossible, really, and just seems a little wrong for me. Anyway, this was the exception.

I was lucky to find a series of 9 YouTube lessons. I attached the link for lesson one. I also attached the link for the backing track I use.

And lastly, I attached a link of me in my garage. I use a Zoom Q2n recorder.

I just got Griff's course material, and I am stoked. I don't know how to use half the resources, however ... there are a bunch.

Best regards,
Kurt

Lesson 1
https://youtu.be/X0KrZgDEzo4

Backing track
https://youtu.be/u3TTzX5c0Wo

Me
https://youtu.be/-JtCnDCgb5I