Horn-Friendly ?!

Paul W

Blues Newbie
I have seen a number of Jams where there is either a single sax or more of a "horn section" (last night was a pair of trombones, tenor and alto sax). Someone mentioned playing horn-friendly keys. What are those and how do we make things more horn-friendly?

It seemed to me that the horn players all knew when to fill and provide additional harmony - if allowed and given the space.

I saw another guitar player that seemed to make it difficult for the sax and trumpet (different night) to play.

Given that Griff plays with and without horns, seemed like a good place to ask -- playing nice with the other band members.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Most horn players I jam with are used to "common" jam keys, like A E or C even though C translates to Bb for them.
I even know a sax player that doesn't like to play in Eb because he's so used to play with people playing concert C.

My philosophy is that guitar is the easiest instrument to transpose, let someone else call the key and I'll adapt by moving an appropriate number of frets up or down.

Paul W

Blues Newbie
Thanks Griff! I missed the live webinar, but caught the recorded version.
This was exactly what I was looking for.

Kommetjie

Blues Newbie
I have seen a number of Jams where there is either a single sax or more of a "horn section" (last night was a pair of trombones, tenor and alto sax). Someone mentioned playing horn-friendly keys. What are those and how do we make things more horn-friendly?

It seemed to me that the horn players all knew when to fill and provide additional harmony - if allowed and given the space.

I saw another guitar player that seemed to make it difficult for the sax and trumpet (different night) to play.

Given that Griff plays with and without horns, seemed like a good place to ask -- playing nice with the other band members.

And a crowd of young boys, they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles
They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
It ain't what they call rock and roll

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
And a crowd of young boys, they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles
They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
It ain't what they call rock and roll

We are the Sultans. We are the Sultans of swing.

Love Dire Straits and that is one of my all time favorite songs from them.