Hope I didnt make a mistake..

M

mojorowe

Well, after months of emails from Griff re BGU, I started getting them about the BBG course. So I followed that one as it was being put together. Then I got an email that there were only 80 copies of BBG left and I started to go back and forth... what to do.. 77 for BBG or 137 for BGU..  I'm not a "total" beginner, but not really intermediate either.. hmmm.. Well, partly because of cash flow and partly because I figured a true fresh start with a teacher like Griff would benefit me, I went with the BBG.. of course as soon as I did, I started second guessing myself and feeling like too much of it may be too easy.. Guess I will just have to wait till it gets here and see how it goes. Perhaps the fresh start will enlighten me as to any bad habits I may have formed (beer and copenhagen dont count).

I

IrishRover

Hey Mojo - I went the other way and started with BGU and found I needed more of a background and then ordered BBG.  Now I have both and don't regret it one bit.  With those courses and the backing of the fine folks here at the forum things will be just fine.  I will tell you that BBG starts very simple but quickly progresses - each lesson building on the previous one.  Even if you are already an intermediate player it will be a great review and give you a perfect intro to BGU.  After that - the sky's the limit! ;)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Hi Mojo, I' far enough along in my playing to benefit from BGU, but I bought BBG anyway, and I'm glad I did. The first few lessons, may be a big time bust for you, but once you get a little way in, you will find some really good challenging stuff. You won't be sorry.
Mike

M

mojorowe

Just start buying Grizzly snuff instead of Cope..within a year you'll be able to get BGU with the money you save.

LOL.. I dont know if I can do that.. been with cope since 82.. maybe I'll cut back on the beer.. NO Wait.. what am I saying!?!
Just have to save my money..

M

mojorowe

Hi Mojo, I' far enough along in my playing to benefit from BGU, but I bought BBG anyway, and I'm glad I did. The first few lessons, may be a big time bust for you, but once you get a little way in, you will find some really good challenging stuff. You won't be sorry.
Mike

msantarc- Thanks for the info.. makes me feel better.. I think I did it right!! By the time I finish BBG I will be ready for BGU.
Sure appreciate it!!  ;D

M

mojorowe

Hey Mojo - I went the other way and started with BGU and found I needed more of a background and then ordered BBG.  Now I have both and don't regret it one bit.  With those courses and the backing of the fine folks here at the forum things will be just fine.  I will tell you that BBG starts very simple but quickly progresses - each lesson building on the previous one.  Even if you are already an intermediate player it will be a great review and give you a perfect intro to BGU.  After that - the sky's the limit! ;)

IrishRover - Thank you.. that makes me feel really good about my decision! I cant wait to get started!

Thanks to all of you for your input!!  :cool:

gpower

Blues Junior
I can't comment on BBG but, a good grounding in the blues rthythm fundamentals will certainly help when you get to BGU.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Hey Gpower, That's one cool thing about BBG, it's not just rhythms, it's leads too. You can definitely hear where Griff's going with the BBG lesson, because you can see how it will dovetail beautifully with BGU, building one lesson to the next seamlessly. Just like some of the early lessons in BGU become parts of later lessons, there are lessons in BBG that will become part of BGU lessons. If I didn't know better, I would think that Griff built BBG first.
Mike

I

IrishRover

In a way - he might have Mike,  didn't he start with "Start Playing Blues Guitar"? and then went to BGU.  I think BBG is a reworked 'new & improved' SPBG.  I know if you go to the PDF version of Sitting Easy Blues on one of the freebies it has Start Playing Blues Guitar at the to of the page.  In the manual it says Blues Guitar Unleashed.  Either way both are winners in my book.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
You may be right. I'd forgotten about that. I hope you BBG guys start posting stuff to this area too. I'd like to see it pick up like BGU side has.
Mike

560sdl

Blues Newbie
I am (was) well into BGU and went ahead and ordered BBG.  Partly to reinforce fundamentals and partly to further support Griff because you cannot put a price on what I have gotten out of BGU and this forum.

I have only started watching the DVD's for BBG but was surprised at how "not strictly beginner" it was.  I certainly could not just rattle off what he was doing without stopping and working on it and that is the first stuff.

So don't worry, you will be challenged!

Bluewater

Blues Newbie
I am (was) well into BGU and went ahead and ordered BBG.  Partly to reinforce fundamentals and partly to further support Griff because you cannot put a price on what I have gotten out of BGU and this forum.

I have only started watching the DVD's for BBG but was surprised at how "not strictly beginner" it was.  I certainly could not just rattle off what he was doing without stopping and working on it and that is the first stuff....

You too. I agree BBG is not easy to knock off for an intermediate player like me. I will need to seriously approach the BBG lessons to complete them in good shape. BBG has good open string riffs and chords that I have little skill or knowledge, so these will be good lessons for me.
Ditto the support to Griff, and also to support the other players on the board that may have questions. So many of the great Blues Players have stated that the Blues is something that you give back to, you pass it on. It's not how good you are as a player it's how good you can make the other players sound when you play together! Very Cool concepts!

Dave

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Thanks guys, I'm really glad to hear this type of feedback because it is clear that things are working.

You might enjoy the story so I'll tell it....

I did BGU first, in fact it was done and on the market for about 6 months before I started BBG. I could see from many of the questions and comments I was getting from BGU students that there was a need for the material before it.

I originally planned on BBG being only 1 DVD, maybe 2. But as I got going and made sure that everything was there to move right into BGU, it ended up being more obviously.

I think most students have at least some little holes in what they've learned up until now. BBG will clear that up. I could have even added a few more things, but they are things that aren't really necessary, just nice. Things like how to read music, for example. I'll do that, but I'll do it when it might actually serve a purpose for you. Right now you have to play, get some enjoyment and develop the passion for playing. Then the work comes easy when you need to do it because you want what you'll get from it.

Anyway, thanks again. I'm going to try and get more of the beginners to join the forum, but I think most people who have the course already were members, so it's not going to be a huge influx until next week when I actually start up the advertising and release it to the public. Assuming I can figure out how to sell it, we'll get some new members.

Russ

Blues Newbie
Griff,
More power to yu.
Perhaps using the foot tapping stuff as an ad will help?...............

J

jhagan421

Great stuff from a lot of different angles.  I am certainly NOT intermediate, but BBG is not the first thing I've played.  Recieved BBG almost a week ago and have Sitting Easy Blues down Pretty well (I had a head start with the riffs from the online intro).  The great thing is that even though it was not that tough to play IT'S FUN!!  I've probably played it a hundered times, It is fun enough (i.e. not boring) so one can play the lesson and get good at it instead of moving ahead before their ready.

Thanks Griff!!

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
And that's the idea... if it ain't fun who's going to play it? After all, we call it playing guitar for a reason. No one ever says "I want to study guitar and work really hard for years."

M

mojorowe

And that's the idea... if it ain't fun who's going to play it? After all, we call it playing guitar for a reason. No one ever says "I want to study guitar and work really hard for years."

Griff, that is funny.. but true! Hey,, got the BBG package today! Can't wait to get started. We are leaving thursday for a 2 week vacation to Daytona Beach, so I'll have to wait till I get back.. Funny, I never thought coming home from vacation would be something to look forward to.
On the bright side tho, there is a big music store down there..  hmm.. souvenir??? :cool: