Holding pic

RobertCress

Blues Newbie
just recently started abgu, found out for 35 years holding pic with 3 fingers is wrong. I do appear to be more exact and precise with 2 fingers BUT I naturally grab pick with 3 fingers until I realize it. Any suggestions to break a 35 year old habit? And “just stop it” hasn’t worked

jmin

Student Of The Blues
just recently started abgu, found out for 35 years holding pic with 3 fingers is wrong. I do appear to be more exact and precise with 2 fingers BUT I naturally grab pick with 3 fingers until I realize it. Any suggestions to break a 35 year old habit? And “just stop it” hasn’t worked
Hey Robert! I have the same problem. We've discussed it briefly here, and Griff did actually address it once on a live call. He said to "Stop it" (you already know that part), and then he said to hold your pick correctly - with two fingers - and "anchor the other fingers to the pick guard - ALL 3 of 'em - while you run your scales." I've been trying it "a bit" (not enough) and it seems like a good exercise to break the habit. But it's a really old habit (50 yrs!). Good luck!

RobertCress

Blues Newbie
Thanks jimin, it really is hard unless I’m concentrating on it at the time I start the practice. Might tape my unneeded fingers together to start practicing
Thanks for replying good luck

ervjohns

Blues Junior
That was a bad habit for me too, one day I made myself stop, it was awkward at first but just stick with it till it is second nature

RobertCress

Blues Newbie
Not sure it’s a good source of restriction but I’ve been putting one of my wife’s hair tie bands around my middle,ring and little finger before I even go get my guitar and it seems to be working, I figure maybe a week or so of this might bring that disobedient finger into subjection.
Need this to happen by the time I get to the part to use pick and fingers lesson. Thanks for the replies, at least it’s comforting to know it’s not just me

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
You will need those other fingers to add some additional plucking, so maybe try using two fingers to pluck one note then use your middle finger to pluck the next note.
I'm thinking that if you are using the middle finger you will not be likely to try to latch it on to the pick.