Holding an electric guitar

S

Sumner

I play a Stratocaster (or try to) and have trouble with the guitar feeling unstable and sometimes even sliding off my lap.  Any tips on how to position an electric guitar so it's stable?  Thanks

I

IrishRover

Hey Sumner - I got into the habit of playing with the strap on whether standing or sitting.  I've also tightened the strap so the guitar just barely touches my leg - that way it won't move or slide.  I have a Squier 'fat strat' so the body type is pretty much the same as yours.  It's now easier for me to play than the acoustic because the body is so much slimmer.  Hope that helps.

L

Lame_Pinky

How long have you had the Strat Sumner? it will get better as you get more comfortable with it for sure but as Matt ( IrishRover ) said using the strap whilst sitting will help.I don't use the strap myself because I'm to lazy to walk over to the chair it is lying on & get it - then I'd have to adjust it & ...phew thats a lot a work man !When I feel the guitar slipping( I have a Strat & Tele ) I give it a push back or a pull from my fretting hand & always give it a stern warning not to do it again !

LP

GRUMPY

Blues Newbie
Hey Sumner; Matt and LP are right on with the strap. I also use a strap. If you are bent over the guitar to look at the neck, that will make it slide too. What I do to see the neck better is to raise the neck up a little closer to you. That help to see what you are playing. GRUMPY. :cool:

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
I took JohnC's advice a several months ago. I always wear a strap, sitting or standing. It will help you maintain the same position while sitting as you have while standing.

It works.

6string

I'll add a +1 for wearing a strap even while sitting but another trick is to back sure the inside of your forearm/elbow of your picking hand is applying counter pressure.  In other words, pushing the guitar in to your side.

gpower

Blues Junior
I can't remember having a problem holding a guitar while sitting. So, I played around a bit with it today (yeah, I was a little bored). The chair seems to make the most difference. If I sat where the leg I rested the guitar on was level, or a bit lower at the hip than the knee, no problem. But, if my hips were higher than my knee the guitar wanted to slide off my lap.

J

jhagan421

I have a Squier 'fat strat' ...It's now easier for me to play than the acoustic because the body is so much slimmer.  Hope that helps.
go on rub it in IR :p

Gpower - nice experiment, simple but effective - this seems to be a common problem I think it is the only one I don't have.

Seriously - both the strap and the knees above hip makes sense.  if for nothing else the knees above hips will help to protect your posture and protect you from back, arm, and hand discomfort - trust me.

I now ONLY play standing because, for now I have to.

Russ

Blues Newbie
Sumner, welcome to a Great Forum. I believe this issue was covered in the BGU section a couple months ago. I'd like to recommend trying to go through all of the past pages and opening any subject that catches your eye.

I've been trying to use my straps since said topic was covered and there is one thing that I've noticed. The lightest guitar can feel like 40 pounds if you only use the crapstrap they give you when you buy a guitar. Make sure to go out and put some money into a nice wide strap with good padding. We're talking from $30 US on up. You need to spread the weight instead of focusing it over your neck. Make your spine and shoulder take the brunt of it.

C

Charlie_13

If you are sitting then get a couple of phone books or a small stool and put them under your left foot, this will bring up your knee and keep that Fender in the right place. Note that is if you are right handed and are using the pick in your right hand.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
When standing I like to have my guitar slightly lower than it would be when sitting, which causes a problem when sitting because even though I wear the strap, it really doesn't do anything.  What I've started doing is half sitting (leaning) on my desk so that the guitar is hanging from my shoulder, but I'm still not exactly standing so it gives my back a break. That's why I want to get one of those stools like (can't remember who posted that pic) has. If you ever watch the Jay Leno show, his guitarist /band leader sits in a stool like that.
I'm not saying that any of this is a GOOD idea, but it's what I do and an option for you if nothing else works.

johnc

systematic
Yeah try and have the weight of the guitar hanging on the strap whether sitting or standing. That way there is mimimal adjustment required in your playing either way.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Sorry 560, but the old brain aint what it used to be... or never was.
BTW, I'm hoping that Santa brings one in a couple of weeks.

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
Johnc has had me wearing my strap a long time now. It has really helped. I have it adjusted so that it hangs the same sitting or standing!

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
I agree on the strap....

however the quality will make a difference....Levy makes some decent leather (the only way to go) straps that are affordable....Moody is another name....I'd eBay them.....

My favorite is one from when I played as a kid....must be about 3" wide and thick but very pliable leather...I wish I could find the like that now.....I think it was tan when I got it....too many years ago...but now it has a dingy brown color but is "shaped" to my shoulder.....you break in a good leather strap and you'll never go back......I give the nylon ones away......they kill.

A nice $39-45 strap would make a good Christmas present......or better yet, a stocking stuffer....later.

cowboy

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Well, I got my BBG at the same time as I went to get my right shoulder operated on. 6 weeks of arm in a sling (Damn). So to hold my guitar; I have it on my left knee, almost straght up like a bass. This is the ony way i can get my slinged arm around enough to pick the strings. I can only do this for 5 or 10 minutes but I figure that will pay dividends when I can use my arm again.

This is how I am starting the course. Actually quite funny. I also read the material, play the DVD and visualize doing as Griff suggests.

And I read the BGU Forum.

BTW, if you find this slow reading it is cause I type slow with my one hand. lOl

Cheers to All,
LuckyLarry1