Hobbies

KAS2

Blues Newbie
So to summarize: hobbies that are on par with GAS for expense: golf, boats, flying, antique cars or motorcycles, horses, woodworking tools. Did I miss anything?

Better add bicycles to that list. Bikes and accessories are crazy expensive. I have a decent little collection of guitars and a decent amp but I have way more $ invested in bikes. Luckily I'm more of a fitness rider these days than a racer...but I'm watching the Tour de France right now and boy those fancy carbon race bikes sure look nice!

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
Sounds a bit like horses. $15 a bale for hay, plus supplements for 7 horses. $5 a bale for wood shavings for bedding. You pay people to bring it, you pay people (unless it's me on the weekends) to clean it up and you pay people to haul it away.

I've mentioned more than once when the wife rolls her eyes about another guitar, "I can put all my guitars in a closet for six months and they cost me nothing."

$15 a bale!! Wow! Papa is that a small (60 lb) bale of high quality alfalfa, timothy or brome mix? Tested and inoculated?

Just curious. I have 7 acres of alfalfa/grass hay meadow that I cut and bale three times per year, and I sell what I won't feed to my 5 for $3.50 delivered. :whistle: and I make tight heavy bales. With all the rain this year, I may even get a fourth cutting.

I know my brother's sister in law pays a lot for coastal grass hay in southern Texas. So much so that she actually bought 45' flat bed load from here last year and plans to do the same this year. Of course she is feeding nearly 50 horses that she trains for barrels.

giayank

Just another day in paradise
As many of you know My wife has been bedridden for the last 19 yrs so my main goal is her care each day. I also work and run a production shop. We employ 15 people. I play guitar each day while my wife eats her dinner and watches her recorded tv shows of the day. I also collect antique clocks . I have around 50. Mostly wall clocks. They are all key wound except for the two grandfathers and the cuckoo which are weight driven. My mother in law has a phobia about clock chimes so when she comes to visit I set them all to a different time and make sure their all ready to chime endlessly all day. As you may have guessed being an obnoxious pain in the ass and sarcastic jokester is my real function. My screen name Giayank is composed of my favorite sports teams . Yankees and the football Giants.Watching the weather channel and complaining about lying politicians just about rounds it out except for my beautiful girls [3] and husbands along with the grandkids [2]. I also always seem to be fixing, growing and building something. After 64 yrs haven't figured out how to sit still yet.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Late to this party, here's our retirement hobby:
cropped-IMG_20150831_165624-e1461513752247.jpg

We're on the road right now for about 6 months - left our home in VT at the end of May to tour around New England (done), the Great Lakes (where we are now), the Dakotas, probably bounce off the Rockies in Montana/Idaho, wander south into Colorado then over to Memphis in early October (of course), hopefully touch base with Sue's parents in Florida after that, then run back up to the great northeast before ski season. Instruments are on board, drive-by jams are always possible!

thedestinators.com

DesmoDog

Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy
So to summarize: hobbies that are on par with GAS for expense: golf, boats, flying, antique cars or motorcycles, horses, woodworking tools. Did I miss anything?

Actually, one reason I started liking guitars is they are much more affordable than Italian motorcycles. The annual running costs on a typical Ducati would buy a decent guitar each season... that's part of the reason I have three for sale right now!

Letting them sit only delays things. Tires, belts, fuel lines, brake lines, etc, all go bad with age.

Fingerlick

The Thrill is Gone
I like fidgeting with Pedals, modifying and building them, also cooking and I used to garden a good bit, want to get back to that. Right now my honey-dew list is keeping me pretty busy when I'm not working, being in HVAC in the south doesn't give way to much free time in summer

Papabear, agree with the HVAC sentiment. I'm certified Universal tech, but retired. The Central Illinois summers are brutal from May through mid-September. To have a 70-80 hour week was normal. I found people could get by without heat for awhile in the winter but you better be fixing their AC yesterday.
Dale

lola

Blues Newbie
As many of you know My wife has been bedridden for the last 19 yrs so my main goal is her care each day.

Your an amazing person! You took your vows seriously! It's one of the hardest jobs ever to look after and care for someone. I looked after the MIL and FIL for 10 years! I quit my job and moved in with them. I came home to my family on the weekends. My hubby would bring the dog for a visit with me. If I had to do it over again I wouldn't change a thing!

ingog

Started in 2009
Metal sculpting (my picture show a hollow stainless steel dolphin made with 100's of teardrop shaped pieces).

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
[QUOTE="dvs, post: 235845, member: 314] wander south into Colorado[/QUOTE]

PM me if you get tot the Boulder or Denver area and we catch a beer and do dinner or something.

Reactions: dvs

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
Like burlew, I'm a private pilot, though it's been awhile since I've flown due to some heart surgery a few years back. I also spent some time flying search and rescue with the Civil Air Patrol and am considering getting back into that. My son is taking flying lessons now, so I'm busy helping him prepare for his FAA check ride. That has actually renewed my interest in flying and pulled me away from guitar quite a bit this summer.

I also like playing poker, primarily Texas Hold'em.

Though no longer working as a software engineer, I still dabble in programming a bit, most recently creating apps for my own use on my Amazon Echo.