Hobbies

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I saw Brewer and Shipley a few years back. Mike Brewer said he had been married 5 times. He said now when he sees a girl he likes he walks up to her and says, Hey your pretty, here's the keys to your house, and walks away. He said it just saves so much time that way!

Oh yeah, guitar building, amp repair, speaker building.

Mark from Murrieta

Blues Junior
I'm a part time party host, MC and DJ. Other than that I'm building a Music - Party - Audio Video venue in my backyard. Then there's the guitar... playing, repairing, reading, shows, concerts, many trips to my local Guitar Center, and generally I'm just a huge guitar geek.

Fingerlick

The Thrill is Gone
I used to make fine furniture and restored antiques. Actually made a pretty good living doing it so I m not sure it was a hobby toward the end. This was in addition to my full time job. In 2001 I lost my left eye in a vehicle accident and because of poor depth perception it is very unsafe to operate the power saws an equipment. I am in the process of selling my woodworking tools and using the proceeds to buy guitars and gear. My latest acquisition is a Babicz Dreadnought. I never figured myself to be an acoustic nut but so far this year I've bought a Martin, a Fender and the Babicz. All the acoustics are very nice guitars, though I favor the Martin. I'm getting up there with Jack on acoustic appreciation.
The Babicz was bought out of curiosity. It was a pawn shop acquisition but an extremely well crafted guitar. Many rate them up there with Taylor and Martin. I don't go that far but it is a very nice guitar with good tone. The unusual features of the Babicz are the string connections which are fanned out to the edge of the guitar body. This takes the stress off the top allowing it to be crafted for optimal tone. The bridge is adjustable and makes intonation a snap. The neck is fitted on a solid track that allows it to be adjusted for string action with the turn of an Allen wrench and the truss rod is equally convenient with adjustment at the headstock. All in all a very nice GAS reliever indeed. I also have a Mustang III amp on layaway at another pawn shop. Should get it next month.
During the summer months I enjoy raising a vegetable garden and lawn work.
I am also an avid reader in a variety of genres. Oh, I also like trivia. I subscribe to two online trivia sites and my daily percentages are a respectable and 67.
Dale

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
Wow! Y'all are a busy bunch. I travel a lot for my job, both in North America and Asia, so my musical endeavors, (guitar playing, recording and producing other's music) and taking care of my horses keeps me hopping. However, I've been involved with Pony Express for about 32 years. Check it out!

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Until a few years ago I raced on a buddy's Beneteau One Ton as the foredeck guy up on Texoma. For the non-sailers, that's a 40' sailboat and I was the guy out on the pointy end. (y)

A couple of years ago I took up fencing. Like the Olympic sport of sword fighting kind of fencing. I pretty much suck at it, but it's a LOT of fun. Sabre has been my weapon of choice. Nothing like having a bad day at the office, heading to the club, taking out a little pent up aggression by stabbing someone in the face, and still being friends afterward. :ROFLMAO:

Last year, I started picking up some tools and have been trying to teach myself some woodworking via books and youtube vids. I think some of the subtleties of the art are lost in the translation of those mediums, but, never having done anything like it in the past, it's been really fun.

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
I used to be a custom jewelry maker but that went the way of the wind as soon as I picked up guitar. I will see if I can dig up a few pictures!

I garden but my heart is not in it.

My life is guitar, family and work. Yes, in that order! Guitar has helped me to regain stability in my life! I eat, breathe and sleep guitar!

God, Family,work and Guitar / Mtn. Biking (tied). Yes , In that order..

Last edited:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Right now I am in the middle of rebuilding A 1962 Plymouth Valiant Signet 200, 2 door hard top. (it is my 54 year late graduation present to myself ). This particular model was only made one year, no parts available that I can find. I guess I am going to have to "RAT ROD it"
I am also still working on my 1977 Honda ct-125 extremely rare, (bout the same as the Valiant).. it took me 14 months just to find a seat for it. I got it running, all I have to do now is dial the carburetor in, then it is on the road.
Then I have the best- hardest hobby in the world.......Keeping Mrs. York happy.
Occasionally I get to play my music (that is when I don't have band-aides on all my fingers) which is not often.:whistle::whistle::whistle:

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I like fidgeting with Pedals, modifying and building them, also cooking and I used to garden a good bit, want to get back to that. Right now my honey-dew list is keeping me pretty busy when I'm not working, being in HVAC in the south doesn't give way to much free time in summer

david moon

Attempting the Blues
So to summarize: hobbies that are on par with GAS for expense: golf, boats, flying, antique cars or motorcycles, horses, woodworking tools. Did I miss anything?

TimeZero

Blues Newbie
So to summarize: hobbies that are on par with GAS for expense: golf, boats, flying, antique cars or motorcycles, horses, woodworking tools. Did I miss anything?
Photography, watch collecting, fountain pen collecting, bicycling. All can lead to serious cases of GAS. If my wife asks, that's just what I read on the Internet.

artyman

Fareham UK
It's often said that sailing is like standing fully clothed in a cold shower tearing up £10 notes ($20 bills for others) :D

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
It's often said that sailing is like standing fully clothed in a cold shower tearing up £10 notes ($20 bills for others) :D

Sounds a bit like horses. $15 a bale for hay, plus supplements for 7 horses. $5 a bale for wood shavings for bedding. You pay people to bring it, you pay people (unless it's me on the weekends) to clean it up and you pay people to haul it away.

I've mentioned more than once when the wife rolls her eyes about another guitar, "I can put all my guitars in a closet for six months and they cost me nothing."