Hideaway Blues

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
1st usable take rather than 1st take... a bit hesitant on the B7 [I hate that chord :) ] & I miss the last triplet I think. So still work to do but there's a nice feel of accomplishing something getting a recording up. Very happy to receive constructive criticism please folks :)

http://www.4shared.com/audio/DLv8baY7/HideawayBlues.html

M

MandyC

It's all there Ray and the tone is really good. Which guitar?
Just a bit hesitant here and there but now you have it all down that will soon dissappear.
Cool :cool:

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Hi Mandy - thanks :)

That was my TC Ellis Series One Hollowbody [ halfway down this page - http://tcellisguitars.com/guitars4sale.html ] bridge pickup.

I seem to always get that hesitation as I get closer to the B7, but it's better than it was and it'll stay a practice piece for a long time to come.. it's fun to play :)

M

MandyC

Gorgeous guitar.
I'm involved in a big laboratory instrument install in Cardiff in September - may have to take a detour ;)
I still fluff the B7 from time to time but I just carry on regardless!! It'll become second nature in a decade or two.

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
The guy is great to deal with, I had a problem with the pickup selector when it arrived & within 5 minutes of speaking to him he emailed a printable postage paid label, then fixed it & sent it back by return post.

A decade or 2 for the B7 you say.... sounds about right LOL

J

jhagan421

Sounded good Ray, Really, i don't think you missed anything.  There are shaky bits but you'll work those out in time.

remember when you first turned that page and said (probably out loud) to yourself - NO WAY, NO WAY will I be able to play that...well here you are.

a bit more and your on to Little mary (that's a fun one!)

Steve_M

Blues Newbie
Well done Ray.....that isnt an easy lesson as there are so many different aspects to that lesson.....the B7 being one of them.
You handled it really well and any shakey spots will be ironed out with a few more run through's.
Sounded good.

Cheers,

Steve

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Great benchmark Ray. The unsteadiness will work itself out as you play these chords more and more.

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Great job Ray!  I'm with the other - more practice will square away the timing.  Try slowing it down to the point that you can play it evenly (with metronome or backing track), then gradually increase to actual speed.  :cool:

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Thanks for all the encouragement guys... I enjoy playing this one so I'll keep playing it everyday & I'll try slowing it down as you suggest Wayne. I think most of the hesitation in it stems from still finding it hard to just grab the B7, it becomes a habit to anticipate it & stress over it which is no good at all. A few more beers may help  ;)

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Thanks for all the encouragement guys... I enjoy playing this one so I'll keep playing it everyday & I'll try slowing it down as you suggest Wayne. I think most of the hesitation in it stems from still finding it hard to just grab the B7, it becomes a habit to anticipate it & stress over it which is no good at all. A few more beers may help  ;)
in that case, be sure to isolate the changes to the B7 and practice just that until it's smooth - again, great going!   :cool:

samwell

been here.....
Commendable Ray, know what you mean on gettin' a recording down (or up as the case may be) finally, such a relief! Sounding GOOD, & as always, a few more beers certainly couldn't hurt [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

Cynicure

Blues Newbie
June 14th eh? (Bastille Day!) Wonder what this one sounds like now...

It sounds good Ray, but a little nervous; bet you play it much more confidently now, eh?

Have a beer anyway!

[smiley=beer.gif]

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
I'll give it a try later & let you know - if it sounds better I'll record it..... & if it doesn't I'll just say it does & not record it  ;D

[smiley=beer.gif]

Cynicure

Blues Newbie
It's a good baseline effort, Ray; I must say this one gave me a lotta trouble and strife; especially that B7! And I lost count of how many attempts it took me 'til I got it right... but I now have what I consider to be not a bad recording of 'Hideaway Blues'; I'll post it tomorrow.

Here! You deserve one of these:

[smiley=beer.gif]