Squire Standard Stratocaster
Neck Pickup Pickup - Tone 10
Line 6 - Spider IV amp
Drive 4 o'clock
Bass 4 o'clock
Mid 1 o'clock
Treb 11 o'clock
Channel Volume 3 o'clock

I'm still abit off on this one But I't usually sounds OK (I think)

http://www.4shared.com/file/251335671/dea5afe9/Hidaway_Blues.html

gpower

Blues Junior
Playing that stuff along with a timing reference can make a big difference. But, you're doin' good!

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Josh, Nice job on all three of these. They still need a little work, but you're getting really close.

johnc

systematic
Hi Josh, You appear to be going well with these lessons.  I think that yes you are getting to a point of playing or recording to a backing rhythm as your next step if you haven't done so already.
It is something we have to do and once you have done it a few times with one of the easier pieces slowed down a little you will go from strength to strength.

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
You're inspiring me to work a little harder Josh, there's some great sounds for me to look forward to - thanks for leading the way.

Spencer

Blues Newbie
Another good one. You got it under your fingers. The cool thing about this track and the next one is that they are SOOO much fun to play. Soon you'll have it mastered because it's so good it's always a warm up and cool down song! Nice man.

J

jhagan421

Thanks Guys, My real glimmer of hope is that I've beenplaying Hideaway for a much shorter amount of time and it has come up to about the same level as everything else, so I am picking things up faster.

John I have not palyed anything to a backing track, so as usual you are right, thats the next step.

I am pretty happy with where I have come - and I always think I sound beeter off camera  :-[

SunnyOne

Blues Newbie
good job man!
are you playing by memory? that impresses me when you all do that!
i think you and i have the same guitar too.

M

Murr

You're on a roll, keep 'em coming. Nice finger stretch there, :eek:, that will be a killer for me to do.

B

b0b_b4rk3r

Hey Josh...that sounded real good..... :cool:

I apologise that I've been neglecting listening to the BBG recordings.....too little time....too many new things to learn....but I'm hoping to make up some ground... ;)

Anyroad....first class job there my friend..... :cool:

Thanks for sharing it....

bob

J

jhagan421

You're on a roll, keep 'em coming. Nice finger stretch there, :eek:, that will be a killer for me to do.

You'll be fine.  there are a lot of posts about this - and 2 to 5 is nothing (or so I'm told) :eek: :eek:,  a good excercise is the minor blues scale - start at 5th position (1st finger 5th fret - A note) and work down the neck, by the time you get to 2nd postion you'll have no problem with that stretch

J

jhagan421

good job man!

Sunny I have a bit of a hard time playing and looking at the music (or the TAB, since I can't really read the music) so once I have the tune under my fingers I paly everything from memory - I cannot imagine playing something even like th 4 note solo completely from memory but maybe someday.  If I could read music beter maybe I wouldn't play form Memory most of the time and I would play better, but I'm not sure about that either.

I'm due for that AHA ;)

L

Lame_Pinky

Sounding good Josh love the large  head on your Squier too only got standard size on the Deluxe - go figure !

LP

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
good job man!

Sunny I have a bit of a hard time playing and looking at the music (or the TAB, since I can't really read the music) so once I have the tune under my fingers I paly everything from memory - I cannot imagine playing something even like th 4 note solo completely from memory but maybe someday.  If I could read music beter maybe I wouldn't play form Memory most of the time and I would play better, but I'm not sure about that either.

I'm due for that AHA ;)
Nice work Josh.  Sounded real good.  As you progress your going to be amazed at what you'll be able to play just from memory.   Most of the solos you hear in the BGU recording section are being played from memory.

M

MandyC

Hi Josh

Sorry missed these.
I'm heading this way so it is great to hear how they're supposed to be. :)

Regarding playing from memory. I think you have to do this anyway because music doesn't flow until you know it really well.
If you have to concentrate on the book, you aren't concentrating on your playing. I play with the book until I'm getting the piece and then close it up and practice without. I also try to run through without looking at my fretboard or picking hand all the time. (don't always succeed with that one though!)
You don't see too many blues players up there with music stands.

G

godlistrom

ohmygosh...seriously...you guys are playing from memory!?  that blows my mind!

Sunny play in small lick each time he become easier to memorize. It just learn the lyrics of a song.

jhagan421 good work!

M

Micheal

Nice Squire in Fiesta Red, I just got one for my grandson. your picking sounds great :cool:

J

jhagan421

Hi Josh

Sorry missed these.
I'm heading this way so it is great to hear how they're supposed to be. :)

Regarding playing from memory. I think you have to do this anyway because music doesn't flow until you know it really well.
If you have to concentrate on the book, you aren't concentrating on your playing. I play with the book until I'm getting the piece and then close it up and practice without. I also try to run through without looking at my fretboard or picking hand all the time. (don't always succeed with that one though!)
You don't see too many blues players up there with music stands.

;D :D ;D :D ;D :D
the way it's supposed to be
;D :D ;D :D ;D :D

good one Mandy - so much for dry British humor