Hideaway Blues

B

bplavoie

My first time posting my own playing...

Here's what Hideaway Blues sounds like after about a week of practice:

http://www.4shared.com/file/148742170/783456cd/Hideaway_Blues_1.html

I'm still having problems transitioning to the first B7, but otherwise it's coming along.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
That sounded just great. Yeah you have to work a little on getting to the B7 faster, but that was super particularly for a first effort. Keep up the good work.
Mike

I

IrishRover

Great job!  Just another reminder that I really have to spend more of my time practicing :cool:

J

jhagan421

Great BP

I got a bit of feedback towards the end?  seemed to be the recording?

The B7 switch does stand out - extra galf a beat , but all together well done.

Russ

Blues Newbie
Yes, I heard the B7 thing but it didn't bother me. I think it probably sounded good, but it did sound like the recording was inside a staticy tin can... no offense intended.

B

bplavoie

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Yeah, the recording is pretty bad - I'm using a cheap radio-shack microphone. Any suggestions as to a better way?

E

Emilio

Hi BP

This is one of my favourite pieces in BBG and it sounded great coming from your lecky

I think you may be getting a bit of clipping on the recording, so it may help to experiment with the volume settings in Audacity (assuming that you are using Audacity). I found rolling the volume back on my actual guitar helped

If you have some spare cash it might be worth investing in some sort of pre-amp. I use a line 6 Pocket Pod and it is great for the money. Here is link: http://line6.com/pocketpod/

If you did chose to go that route, I may be in a position to help you more with your settup

Great work on the double stops by the way

Please keep them coming

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Real nice playing, I haven't reached that piece yet & so the B7 switch didn't stand out for me - good job BP :)

B

bplavoie

You just gave me an idea, Emi: I've got a 'Rockman' that I use when I want to play outside but don't want to bother the neighbors, and I beleive it has an output that I can patch into the mic jack in my computer. I'll have to look closer tonight.

I am using Audacity - I'll have to see if I was clipping. I'm pretty new to the software.

G

godlistrom

very nice first attemps. Your sound is good and the best is yet to come. Thank you for sharing

Godlistrom

B

bplavoie

Again - thanks for the feedback! It can get pretty tedious sitting in the basement playing the same thing over and over trying to get it right. Recording and listening to myself was interesting - I picked up problems in timing I didn't always get while playing. And listening to where others are at was in some cases encouraging, and in other cases humbling. I've been reminding myself that we all learn different things at different rates, though, so all comparisons are probably flawed. Still interesting, though.

So when's the first annual BBG/BGU regional convention where we all get together in person for seminars, jam sessions, and beer and BBQ?

Russ

Blues Newbie
BP, Yeah, you're right about it being humbling. I really haven't had propper time to practice lately, so it can get discouraging when people who just got BBG "yesterday" are on lesson 5 or whatever. I just keep telling myself that 96% of Griff's customers are retired or don't have kids in the house, so they have time any time. Even if its not true, it keeps my "feelgoods" from being too damaged :p .

Then, I look at Griff's quote on my signature and tell myself, "Quit making excuses and go practice."

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Remember too that some of us are going through BBG after 30 or 40 years of playing. And the retired thing doesn't hurt either!
Mike

T

Tom_Kay

retired is nice but when those fingers don't want to cooperate it gets frustrating .
Still i have to make it fun & want to get were you guys are at .
It was a super job ,from my humble standpoint

B

bplavoie

Again - thanks for the feedback! Very encouraging and makes me want to play right now (and I will, right after this post)!

I can't claim to be retired, but I do try to get in at least an hour of practice every night, and as much time as possible on the weekends. It's replaced all my other hobbies, and I have to admit that it's also stolen yard work and 'honeydo list' time. Lately, I'm less interested in putting in the extra effort at work that might lead to promotion 'cause I want to get home to practice the guitar. This growing obsession might be the death of me (economically, at least)...