Hi Everyone - I Wanna Play the Blues When I Grow Up

SuzanneShafer

Addicted to Bikes & Blues
Another option is an amp with a USB out, such as a Fender Mustang, Line 6, Yamaha THR series, or Positive Grid Spark (my favorite). That will allow you to sidestep the need for a digital interface, unless you want to plug in a mic. In addition to PapaR's excellent digital interface suggestions, I will add the Behringer UMC22, which will support two instruments and/or an instrument and microphone. Compared back-to-back with my son's FocusRite 2i2, I get pretty similar results at a bit lower cost.
Thanks, Elio. I'll check out the Behringer as well before I decide.

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
Presonus products, as both interfaces come with a copy of Studio One Artist, which as a stand alone product is $99.
The Focusrite 2i2 comes with ProTools | First, which is a free offering from Avid/ProTools

I’ll have to agree with @PapaRaptor. The Focusrite products are very good, as are the Presonus products. Even as I am the resident Pro Tools evangelist, I would also recommend looking into one of the Pesonus interfaces and get S1. Unless you want really want to get into Pro Tools, Pro Tools | First would not be a good choice for a beginner.

Good luck, and feel free to ask questions.

SuzanneShafer

I have to say I chuckled at the "When I grow up" part in the title of this thread... is that growing up part a requirement? If so, most of us are in a world of trouble!

And I too, ride, and have since I was 10. I sold my Honda Davidson (my '98 Shadow 1100 that has served me faithfully for many years) when we moved to Texas. But come spring I hope to be shopping again!

Okay, so Growing Up is optional. Unfortunately, growing old isn't so I'm thankful that I'm not likely to injure anything but my pride when I "lose it" on my guitar. My first bike was a chromed out 2001 Honda Shadow, which I proudly rode everywhere until a mentor pointed out that it wasn't designed for the backwoods gravel roads I was riding and steered me toward a Suzuki V-Strom. Loved that bike, too, but sold it after I went down hard twice in 3 months---and had to admit that perhaps, at 67, I really was too old to become a proficient dirt biker. These days I believe in "the right tool for the job" and do dirt only on my Ural, generally with camping gear and a guitar in the sidecar. And the guitar most often in my aging hands is my Manitou Les Paul, because on that one I actually can do barre chords...and, eventually, will (by gum) play the Blues...thanks largely to you, Griff. You're a great teacher!

david moon

Attempting the Blues
If you have a laptop it probably has a built-in mic. You can get started just fooling around with (free) Audacity, the internal mic, and headphones.

SuzanneShafer

If you have a laptop it probably has a built-in mic. You can get started just fooling around with (free) Audacity, the internal mic, and headphones.

Hmmmm! Based on the wave of panic your suggestion evoked, I'm sort of gettin' the idea that the only real roadblock to recording immediately is the fact that I'm a chicken. buk, buk, buk, ba-gawk :LOL:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Hmmmm! Based on the wave of panic your suggestion evoked, I'm sort of gettin' the idea that the only real roadblock to recording immediately is the fact that I'm a chicken. buk, buk, buk, ba-gawk :LOL:
Record light (aka red light) fever hits everyone. The only way around it is to plow through it. I've been recording myself for more years than I care to mention and I can still play something perfectly, hit the record button and I'm back in 2012 for at least a few takes. It's funny, I was commenting to my wife after I spent half a day preparing and worrying about the video I recorded here yet, I can sit down and do a livestream like this one without a second thought.

SuzanneShafer

Record light (aka red light) fever hits everyone. The only way around it is to plow through it. I've been recording myself for more years than I care to mention and I can still play something perfectly, hit the record button and I'm back in 2012 for at least a few takes. It's funny, I was commenting to my wife after I spent half a day preparing and worrying about the video I recorded here yet, I can sit down and do a livestream like this one without a second thought.

Your music room looks like a slice o' heaven and I loved both videos! Judging from the fretboard real estate I saw you inhabiting, I'm gonna need to know my way around all five boxes, so it's a good thing I actually like practicing them. Hey, now there's measurable progress! Just six weeks ago I didn't know what a Box was, and now I can play two of them without looking at a diagram. I feel better already. Thanks again.

MinorT

Got My Mojo Working???
Okay, so I'm already well into Senior Citizen territory but I see no reason to let that stop me. I've always been up for Adventure; I rode my first motorcycle at age 63, so 70 doesn't seem too late to fall in love with guitars and the Blues. Already I've learned that, as with bikes, the right number of guitars to own is always one more than you have. :) At the moment I have two bikes (a BMW and a Russian Ural with a sidecar) and four guitars (Fender Parlor Acoustic, 3/4-size Manitou Les Paul, 1946 Rickenbacker Lap Steel, Gretsch Resonator)---in other words, year-round fun! It's snowing as I write this and with the bikes under cover, I'm having a blast learning to play barre chords and pentatonic scales. Really!

In my youth I was an accomplished classical pianist. With that background, I know rhythm inside out (Griff is spot on with the counting thing!) but until a couple months ago I'd never heard of Box 1 or CAGED. Now, thanks to Griff's excellent courses and teaching style, I'm learning fast. Maybe I'll even be ready to join a local jam with my little Les Paul and lap steel when COVID House Arrest is finally lifted. I'm spending hours each day practicing to make it so, and if this forum is anything like another I recently joined, I'll find wisdom here that helps me get it done.

Well hello there young lady, welcome and enjoy. I’m north of you a few hours up in Everett, WA.

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Record light (aka red light) fever hits everyone. I've been recording myself for more years than I care to mention

You're spot on @PapaRaptor. My parents bought me a mono 1/4" reel-to-reel tape recorder when I was about 14, and that's when the red-light fever first got me. I'm currently on about my 50th attempt at recording BGU Example 11-5, and still can't get it right when the light goes on.

WilliamEnright

Blues Junior
Hi Suzanne, Got to love the bikes and the blues. I have a lady friend who passed her bike test two years ago and is having a great time, can I recommend trying off road and track skills, massive fun and teaches a huge amount about bike control. My friend did 'Race School' at Brands Hatch last year and loved it.

SuzanneShafer

Hi Suzanne, Got to love the bikes and the blues. I have a lady friend who passed her bike test two years ago and is having a great time, can I recommend trying off road and track skills, massive fun and teaches a huge amount about bike control. My friend did 'Race School' at Brands Hatch last year and loved it.

I did the Jimmy Lewis Off-road Riding School (Pahrump, NV) when I started riding dirt...age 65. Loved it but eventually understood that was really too late in life. There is an age after which the consequences of hitting the dirt are more serious. For me that was age 67, when I rode my Yamaha TW200 off the edge of a mountain and landed on my head 30 feet below the road. Haven't given up the dirt yet, but only ride it on the Ural, with the sidecar keeping me upright.

WilliamEnright

Blues Junior
Brilliant stuff. I fell of 14 times in two days riding a GS 800, that deep sand is tricky stuff. Still in control though as the clutch was pulled in with the bike on top of me. Do love a track day though, old CBR600 (Hurricane in the US?).
Anyway have fun and all the people I have met on BG forums are helpful and caring people.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
At about age 45 I got into BMX bicycle racing because my son was into it. I was never very good. Couldn't do the jumps, just pumped through the obstacles.

Here's the track.