Hi Everyone - I Wanna Play the Blues When I Grow Up

SuzanneShafer

Addicted to Bikes & Blues
Rock on Suzanne!!! Welcome from a fellow biker and aspiring blues guitarist! While you're waiting for the snow to thaw and those blues jams to start up again, you might consider checking out the Virtual Jam Room, judgment is totally left at the door. All members are encouraged to plug in and take their turn at a solo, regardless of where they are on their journey. I did it for the first time myself just a couple of weeks ago.

Wishing you the best on your blues journey.
I found your first try recording in the VJR. Nice job! Now if I can just figure out how to record.

Doodlebug

Blues Newbie
Hi Suzanne and welcome from Merry olde England!

I'm the baby on here (53).

Trust me these guys have wisdom and lots of guitars. Have fun and stay counting.

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Now if I can just figure out how to record.
If you're just starting out with recording and haven't chosen a DAW, I would recommend Studio One. Paparaptor (one of the moderators) has a host of really useful instructional videos on getting up and running on it. However, if you already have a DAW, I'm sure someone on here will be able to get you up to speed and get you jammin' in the VJR.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
So I found the VJR and lurked in the most recent jam started by Caboburt. Way cool! I finally caught on to how the jam progresses, but I didn't understand more than a few words of the techie talk in the comments. If it had to do with how the recordings were made, then I clearly have a lot to learn before I can join in.
Yep- recording is a whole other rabbit hole to go down into.

or for the grammar police, "into which to go down"

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Welcome Suzanne,
Wisdom? I'm not so sure, wise ass remarks a plenty for sure. LOL
You're gonna love the forum.
If you haven't checked it out yet, I'd strongly recommend that you look into the All Access Pass (AAP)
It's subscription service that Griff offers that provides streaming access to every course he offers.
Along with that, after 2 months you will earn a "Golden Ticket" which you can redeem full ownership of any of the courses and after every use of a Golden Ticket the clock starts again for your next one!
But the really great part is that you get access to 6 live online, interactive group sessions with Griff per month on Technique, theory and gear.
I already owned nearly all his courses, but I think the live sessions are worth the cost by themselves.

Tangled_up_in_Blue

Blues Newbie
Hi Suzanne. Welcome!
I am relatively new to the BGU family and have to say Griff's teaching has changed everything for me. I accidently stumbled upon an article about BGU 2.0 and after reading Griff's info immediately purchased it. That was a few months ago and now I have subscribed to the AAP. It opens up everything for you and I am able to work through concurrent courses that I feel are complementary to where I am at in terms of progress. I don't believe that I will need to look anywhere else for blues or blues/classic rock for a very long time.
And the guys in the forum have been extremely helpful when I have had a block on something. This is the real deal. Enjoy!

SuzanneShafer

Welcome Suzanne,
Wisdom? I'm not so sure, wise ass remarks a plenty for sure. LOL
You're gonna love the forum.
If you haven't checked it out yet, I'd strongly recommend that you look into the All Access Pass (AAP)
It's subscription service that Griff offers that provides streaming access to every course he offers.
Along with that, after 2 months you will earn a "Golden Ticket" which you can redeem full ownership of any of the courses and after every use of a Golden Ticket the clock starts again for your next one!
But the really great part is that you get access to 6 live online, interactive group sessions with Griff per month on Technique, theory and gear.
I already owned nearly all his courses, but I think the live sessions are worth the cost by themselves.

Thanks for the Heads Up on the All Access Pass. I'll keep it in mind. I hadn't checked it out yet, mainly because I already own 12 of Griff's courses. Bought a whole bunch of them right off the bat because I immediately knew that his teaching style would work well for me. Now I'm a complete "Griff fan" who, like Tangled_up_in_Blue, works the theory courses alongside the others (it works well for me because I always want to know Why as well as What and How) and would be very surprised to find myself looking for another teacher anytime soon.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I have to say I chuckled at the "When I grow up" part in the title of this thread... is that growing up part a requirement? If so, most of us are in a world of trouble!

And I too, ride, and have since I was 10. I sold my Honda Davidson (my '98 Shadow 1100 that has served me faithfully for many years) when we moved to Texas. But come spring I hope to be shopping again!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
So I found the VJR and lurked in the most recent jam started by Caboburt. Way cool! I finally caught on to how the jam progresses, but I didn't understand more than a few words of the techie talk in the comments. If it had to do with how the recordings were made, then I clearly have a lot to learn before I can join in.

Lurking is encouraged, but not too much lurking...
There is a comment that frequently comes up when someone is hesitant to "dive in" to the VJR and that is, "I'm not good enough yet." Don't hesitate. You're better than you think and the regulars (and irregulars) in the VJR are extremely supportive. The longer you wait, the harder that first jump will be!

As for learning recording, there is definitely a learning curve, but pick a piece of recording software and go for it. We have members knowledgeable about Audacity, Reaper, Cubase, ProTools, and of course, my favorite Studio One. The Recording Tips and Tricks section is right next to the Virtual Jam Room for a reason!

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Welcome to the forum! As you have probably figured out by now, this is an incredibly supportive group, always eager to help.

EllenHarvey

Blues Newbie
Okay, so I'm already well into Senior Citizen territory but I see no reason to let that stop me. I've always been up for Adventure; I rode my first motorcycle at age 63, so 70 doesn't seem too late to fall in love with guitars and the Blues. Already I've learned that, as with bikes, the right number of guitars to own is always one more than you have. :) At the moment I have two bikes (a BMW and a Russian Ural with a sidecar) and four guitars (Fender Parlor Acoustic, 3/4-size Manitou Les Paul, 1946 Rickenbacker Lap Steel, Gretsch Resonator)---in other words, year-round fun! It's snowing as I write this and with the bikes under cover, I'm having a blast learning to play barre chords and pentatonic scales. Really!

In my youth I was an accomplished classical pianist. With that background, I know rhythm inside out (Griff is spot on with the counting thing!) but until a couple months ago I'd never heard of Box 1 or CAGED. Now, thanks to Griff's excellent courses and teaching style, I'm learning fast. Maybe I'll even be ready to join a local jam with my little Les Paul and lap steel when COVID House Arrest is finally lifted. I'm spending hours each day practicing to make it so, and if this forum is anything like another I recently joined, I'll find wisdom here that helps me get it done.
Welcome!!

SuzanneShafer

Lurking is encouraged, but not too much lurking...
There is a comment that frequently comes up when someone is hesitant to "dive in" to the VJR and that is, "I'm not good enough yet." Don't hesitate. You're better than you think and the regulars (and irregulars) in the VJR are extremely supportive. The longer you wait, the harder that first jump will be!

Thanks for the encouragement. As it turns out, having been a competent pianist is both a blessing and a hindrance. I am able to apply much of what I already knew to the guitar, but being a beginner again is often frustrating. I see the tab, hear the music in my head, and understand exactly where my fingers need to be---but those fingers often don't seem to get the message. I'm spending a lot of time with the pentatonic scales these days to cement the relationship between tone intervals and finger placement on the fretboard, and that seems to be helping.

On the technical side, what are your recommendations for an interface and mic set up? I've been researching this online, but even though I'm beginning to understand the lingo, without the opportunity to put my hands on things it's really hard to know which way to go. I plan to use Studio One, and it appears that I could record with just a USB mic. But I'm wondering whether it would be better to go with an audio interface with two inputs (in case I ever get to the point of both playing and singing) and an XLR mic right from the beginning.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
On the technical side, what are your recommendations for an interface and mic set up? I've been researching this online, but even though I'm beginning to understand the lingo, without the opportunity to put my hands on things it's really hard to know which way to go. I plan to use Studio One, and it appears that I could record with just a USB mic. But I'm wondering whether it would be better to go with an audio interface with two inputs (in case I ever get to the point of both playing and singing) and an XLR mic right from the beginning.

You could record with just a USB mic, but an interface will give you a number of advantages, such as recording direct ("dry") signal as well as with a microphone in front of your amp. Each method has it's advantages and disadvantages. The entry level for a two channel interface meets a common price point of around $160. At that price, there are 3 excellent choices.
  1. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
  2. Presonus AudioBox iTwo
  3. Presonus Studio 24c
All three offer similar features and honestly, any one of them will get the job done. If I were shopping, Since you are planning on using Studio One DAW software, that tips the scales towards the Presonus products, as both interfaces come with a copy of Studio One Artist, which as a stand alone product is $99.
The Focusrite 2i2 comes with ProTools | First, which is a free offering from Avid/ProTools (basically at the same level as Studio One Prime).
The Presonus boxes also are equipped with MIDI In/Out connectors. This isn't as big an advantage as it once was, since most new MIDI equipment uses MIDI via USB. With your background on piano, it's probably inevitable that you'll end up with a keyboard, if you don't already have one. I happen to have a few devices around old enough to have actual MIDI connectors. For me, that would be the final deal maker. If you don't it may not have any importance.

The Sweetwater links for all three products show a comparison grid towards the bottom of the page. Any of the three links will give you a direct comparison against the other two interfaces. You really can't go wrong with any of them. My personal preference is for the Studio 24c.

The comparisons also show the Presonus AudioBox USB96. It's $60 less money, but it doesn't support line inputs (higher level you would get from an amp line out) and only supports mic and instrument levels.

Once you get the interface set up, options for mics are limited only by your budget. A good, all around mic for voice and/or guitar recording is the Shure SM57 or Shure SM58. These make a good starting point and may be all you ever need.

If you have more questions regarding recording and gear, post in either the Gear Talk or Recording Tips and Tricks sections and you'll get no shortage of opinions! :D

jmin

Student Of The Blues
HI Suzanne, Welcome! I just bought some new, simple recording stuff: The Focusrite 2i2 interface, and the Shure SM57 mic. I like 'em both! Good luck on your journey...on and off the bike!

Elio

Student Of The Blues
You could record with just a USB mic, but an interface will give you a number of advantages, such as recording direct ("dry") signal as well as with a microphone in front of your amp. Each method has it's advantages and disadvantages. The entry level for a two channel interface meets a common price point of around $160. At that price, there are 3 excellent choices.
  3. Presonus Studio 24c
All three offer similar features and honestly, any one of them will get the job done. If I were shopping, Since you are planning on using Studio One DAW software, that tips the scales towards the Presonus products, as both interfaces come with a copy of Studio One Artist, which as a stand alone product is $99.
The Focusrite 2i2 comes with ProTools | First, which is a free offering from Avid/ProTools (basically at the same level as Studio One Prime).
The Presonus boxes also are equipped with MIDI In/Out connectors. This isn't as big an advantage as it once was, since most new MIDI equipment uses MIDI via USB. With your background on piano, it's probably inevitable that you'll end up with a keyboard, if you don't already have one. I happen to have a few devices around old enough to have actual MIDI connectors. For me, that would be the final deal maker. If you don't it may not have any importance.

The Sweetwater links for all three products show a comparison grid towards the bottom of the page. Any of the three links will give you a direct comparison against the other two interfaces. You really can't go wrong with any of them. My personal preference is for the Studio 24c.

The comparisons also show the Presonus AudioBox USB96. It's $60 less money, but it doesn't support line inputs (higher level you would get from an amp line out) and only supports mic and instrument levels.

Once you get the interface set up, options for mics are limited only by your budget. A good, all around mic for voice and/or guitar recording is the Shure SM57 or Shure SM58. These make a good starting point and may be all you ever need.

If you have more questions regarding recording and gear, post in either the Gear Talk or Recording Tips and Tricks sections and you'll get no shortage of opinions! :D

Another option is an amp with a USB out, such as a Fender Mustang, Line 6, Yamaha THR series, or Positive Grid Spark (my favorite). That will allow you to sidestep the need for a digital interface, unless you want to plug in a mic. In addition to PapaR's excellent digital interface suggestions, I will add the Behringer UMC22, which will support two instruments and/or an instrument and microphone. Compared back-to-back with my son's FocusRite 2i2, I get pretty similar results at a bit lower cost.

SuzanneShafer

3. Presonus Studio 24c

Thanks for this information! I had already checked out the Gear Talk and Recording sections of the forum, but quickly got lost in the lingo. I'll definitely go to Sweetwater before making a decision; their descriptions are usually understandable even to the uninformed. But it's also good to know what actual users think, so the info you've provided will really help me focus.