Hendrix Flavored track in C#

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
I ain't no judge, but I liked them octaves.

I played the octaves 3 times. The third time seemed to fit in really good. The first two weren’t bad but didn’t sound quite as good in that part of the track. I’m sure there is a theory reason why, but I’ll leave that to you theory guys:):):).

Elwood

Blues
Holy Moly!

TZ the tones sound great! That "chuck chuck chucka de chuck chuck" thing you introduce around 3:00 and repeat a couple of times with variants is very cool.
Paleo, that was a lively and well done bit with more nice tones!

Fine job guys!

They say you have to get off the porch if you want to run with the big dogs...I'm looking for a nice shady spot on the porch :)

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Just noticed that something weird happened to Elwoods's contribution.

Pops, squeaks, etc.:(

TZ's track sounds fine when I play it here, but something happens after I download it and then play it.

And this shows up in my recording.

It still happens every time I try to re-do it?

Maybe someone else could do a little editing?

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
Yeah, to my horror I heard this also, way afterwards. If not for the expertise present I might blame it on "effects", but I believe it is most likely clipping.
For me to attempt to edit anything out would be nothing short of silly. Not many tricks in the stuff I record. Getting into cutting little bits here and there is still way beyond my practical ability.
On a brighter note "pops, squeaks, etc", a great name for my non-existent cyber-band..There is no outcome to resolve the pops thing that will cause me any offence. The merciful solution would be to splice me out?

I will try to exercise better judgement and caution if I venture forth again.

Ted_Zeppelin

Just noticed that something weird happened to Elwoods's contribution.

Pops, squeaks, etc.:(

TZ's track sounds fine when I play it here, but something happens after I download it and then play it.

And this shows up in my recording.

It still happens every time I try to re-do it?

Maybe someone else could do a little editing?

It may have been something that I did. The track seemed kind of quiet when I downloaded it. I had to bump the level up more than usual. When I rendered the file, it did look kind of strange. Just a big blob of black going across the screen. I normally see the peaks and valleys on other tracks. It sounded ok when I played it back so I assumed it was ok. I can try to render it again here in a little bit to see if I can fix it.

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Mission accomplished.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/tsqc81qoae8ou58/jimimotoelwoodtzpaleo.mp3?dl=0

I'm working in Audacity.

Under the effects menu, you can go down to "Amplify" and adjust the "height" of any section of the waveform.

If all you see is one big "block" instead of a wave, you can adjust it by using a negative number in the box that pops up.

I usually try to even everyone out if I see a lot of variation. It got by me this time.

(I've been listening to this all day long. It's really starting to grow on me.)

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
For educational purposes only.

Just to demonstrate what the waveform looked like after each separate download:

Capn-Elwood

Elwood.jpg

Capn-Elwood-TZ

TZ.jpg

Capn-Elwood-TZ-Paleo

Paleo.jpg

This was a great learning experience for me.:)

Last edited:

Ted_Zeppelin

For educational purposes only.

Just to demonstrate what the waveform looked like after each separate download:

Capn-Elwood

View attachment 8683

Capn-Elwood-TZ

View attachment 8684

Capn-Elwood-TZ-Paleo

View attachment 8685

This was a great learning experience for me.:)

Looks like I extremely over compensated to bring the volume up. I will have to see if Reaper has the same magic button as Audacity.

Thank you for sharing.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I noticed that as well. A couple minutes with Cubase gives you a good representation. From what I saw, my original track started about 3db too hot. I try to keep my backing tracks so that peaks are still 6db down from saturation. This track peaked at -3db.

If you look at the original (top) and compare it to the restored version @Paleo provided (bottom), you can see the original levels were achieved, but with quite a loss of definition, which is unavoidable once a digital recording has hit saturation.

In the grand scheme of things, it's no big deal. We ain't making hit records down here.

Cubase-graphic.jpg

Elwood

Blues
pressure! sponge!

Naw, get the salt.

For sure, that was no good. Funny thing, I just went back and listened to the .wav and the mp3 of what I sent in. There is none of the noise (not my shitty playing - noise) present. So, although I'm sure I did it, I don't have a clue how, One thing I do know is how to prevent it from occurring in the future.

As has been said, a good education.

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
For sure, that was no good. Funny thing, I just went back and listened to the .wav and the mp3 of what I sent in. There is none of the noise (not my shitty playing - noise) present.
As I said earlier, there was none of that noise until I downloaded Ted's and then played it on my MacBook. I didn't even notice it until after I recorded mine and uploaded it back up to the VJR.

It wasn't Elwoods playing.

It wasn't any one thing that any one person did.

I'm just pointing out that I don't think it's fair to him to leave it that way.

So I went back and downloaded Moto-Elwood's and spliced Ted and me on to that and all was fine.

From now on I'll just leave well enough alone and let somebody else worry about any "glitches" that might occur.:)

Last edited: