help with C7 and D7

BobKizik

Blues Newbie
Hi all,

My name is Bob and I just started BGU 2.0. I've amateurishly played 12 bar blues with some nice intros, turnarounds, etc. Now I realize I've been playing C7 and D7 wrong because I bar with my index finger across all six strings rather than muting the low E.

Here is the problem I have. I had a severe pinky injury a few years ago (orthopedic doc said the joint was "crumbly") and I'm having trouble fretting with it and positioning my index finger slightly lower to mute the low E. Any suggestions or anyone else have this type of problem?

The solution is probably going to be to strengthen the pinky over time but I thought I'd ask if anyone has a trick or two in the meantime.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Start your pick attack on the 5th string, or use the meat of your palm to mute it, or use open tuning and forget about the 6th string.

Last edited:

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Now I realize I've been playing C7 and D7 wrong
Django would say there is no "wrong" way. Find what works for you and do that. I play that same chord with all 6 strings barred as well most of the time. I do 2 things, both of which Crossroads mentioned. I work on string accuracy so that my pick doesn't hit the 6th string on that chord. Then work on muting using that same index finger (slightly release pressure if you hit the 6th string) and the butt of your right hand.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
The note on the 6th string is the 5th of the chord for C7 and D7, “A-shape”.

Nothing wrong with playing it, unless you don’t like the sound.

You can use those 6th string notes for alternating bass, as well.

You have the same bass notes as those in your open position C and D chords. :sneaky:

Welcome to the forum. :)

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Welcome to the forum.
You've gotten some good advice here, so I won't add anything.

Elwood

Blues
Hey @BobKizik ,
Welcome, and maybe I'm missing something, but to address you work around question. Try using little chords, triads and such. That D7 is movable, with your big 3 fingers as long as you just sound the 3 skinny strings.
Take the three strings up two frets you have an E7 and so on.
C7, instead of using the pinky to pick up the Bb (7th). Play your C7. Now just move your 3rd finger to the Bb on the G string and sound the bottom four stings. There is an easy C7 in the native position.
Dropping the bass note in the root and playing smaller voicings of chords may be very useful for you. Don't worry if the chords sound thin at first, probably will. Then you will find when you use them in time they are handy, easy, and sound good. In a combo (or with a track) that missing bass note can be a blessing.
My pinky will burn out sometime so I have given this a little thought and some practice. This is my plan "A".
All the best!

david moon

Attempting the Blues
The note on the 6th string is the 5th of the chord for C7 and D7, “A-shape”.

Nothing wrong with playing it, unless you don’t like the sound.

You can use those 6th string notes for alternating bass, as well.

You have the same bass notes as those in your open position C and D chords. :sneaky:

Welcome to the forum. :)
The 5th of the chord on the bottom 6th string tends to sound muddy even though it's a chord tone. We are really used to hearing the root on the bottom.
As others have noted, there are "smaller" versions of the chords that work well in a group. These can be done with muting or just controlling which strings are picked