Help with a new guitar purchase

Gavin

Blues Newbie
Good morning (or afternoon/evening/night depending on where you are) all,

I'm getting to the point of playing now that I know what I like in a guitar. I have almost all the major food groups in my collection (Strat type, Tele type, Semi Hollow and Acoustic). I'm looking for a solid body double humbucker guitar to round out the collection (a singlecut/LP style most likely).

I tried out a 2015 PRS Standard 22 last week because it was old new stock, so had a good price. Neck was so sticky from the gloss finish. My Ibanex AM93 semi-hollow also has a gloss neck, but so much lighter and smooth to play. I know I have the option to sand down a neck, but I'm sure there is an option out there for me.

So, for those of you who have played something with the following specs, or close to it, please recommend something to me(and I have several guitar stores in my region, so can go and try some out, but I'm trying to narrow the pool a little).

Wants -
Price - I'm saving for a guitar, so anything from $200-1400 range is fine by me. It's just for bedroom playing and the occasional blues jam night whenever we can finally get back out and about
Solid Body (prefer single cut, but not opposed to other shapes)
Double humbuckers
Ebony/rosewood fretboard (or should I say, not maple my G&L ASAT classic has a maple fretboard, and it's fine, but I prefer the others)
Radius either 14 inch, or absent that, 12 will be fine, as will a compound radius

I don't think that's a lot to ask. I thought I had a bead on an Epiphone Traditional Pro ii (which had a 14 in radius) but it was gone when I got there.

Thank you as always

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
In that price range I would be looking at one of 2 guitars (if you're looking at new). The Gibson Les Paul Tribute model has a satin finish, and I assume that means no glossy neck. Like them or not, Gibson has always kind of been the standard for that single-cut double-bucker guitar. I saw one the other day at the local GC that I think was priced at $1200. I'd also look at one of those Inspired by Gibson Epiphones. I saw one of those when I traded all that gear in a couple weeks ago and eventually went back and got it. It has a bit chunkier neck than usual but it's not like the Gibson baseball bat necks that I've played but still a good handful. It's a gloss neck, but it's not sticky. It's one of only a couple guitars (and the only Les Paul) that I've ever picked up at a store and went back to specifically play again (and take home). It's a great guitar. The down side to it is it doesn't have weight relief (it's a Standard 50s goldtop) so it's heavy. New they were asking $600 for it. PRS has some nice looking options in that range, but the only one I've ever picked up and played was a Vela S2, and it's not HH.

I'm sure others will come along with better options and ideas, but thought I'd give you mine too. Good luck in your search! :Beer:

Elwood

Blues
I've posted a few times about my new Mira. Still like it just fine. For sure I got my $495.
It is just a simple guitar. You can hear it at the mercy of my amateur hands down in the VJR on the last 3 tunes I've played on. The tones are tweaked a bit in the DAW but you can hear what the guitar basically sounds like (on the clean side of things) in case that interests you.

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
The Rondo/Agile neck throughs are awesome guitars with great upper fret access, but the pickups are overwound and dark/muddy so budget for a replacement. They have single cut AL-3200’s and a super cool double cut AD-3200 both made by WMI. Inventory is a bit thin due to Covid so you may have to be patient to get a finish you like.

https://www.rondomusic.com/product10497.html

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
Wants -
Price - I'm saving for a guitar, so anything from $200-1400 range is fine by me. It's just for bedroom playing and the occasional blues jam night whenever we can finally get back out and about
Solid Body (prefer single cut, but not opposed to other shapes)
Double humbuckers
Ebony/rosewood fretboard (or should I say, not maple my G&L ASAT classic has a maple fretboard, and it's fine, but I prefer the others)
Radius either 14 inch, or absent that, 12 will be fine, as will a compound radius

If you had the sticky neck experience with the gloss finish on the CU 22 I certainly wouldn't let you dissuade from the PRS experience. You can find a non-gloss neck!;) A couple others have come back with PRS suggestions and we are and, admittedly, a fanatical bunch. Here is my contribution to that hysteria.

In your price range either an SE or S2 would possibly fill your needs. Actually either would more than fill your needs. In my very biased opinion. The SE line is the one one that is made in Indonesia. But what separates it from other overseas lines in every guitar stable is every SE is sent to PRS in Annapolis for a final inspection. (Other companies sne their guitars directly to the dealer.)

The S2 line is one that is still handmade in the US. It is going to be at the higher end of your range, actually maybe a little over. But PRS has identified procedures that minimize handling, as I understand 10-20 hours, per guitar. I'm not going to try and explain it more. This video by Bryan Ewald does so far better than I ever could. It's a long video but if you scroll to about 25 minutes he talks about how PRS minimizes individual time and thusly costs:

Have fun on your hunt!!!!!!!

Elio

Student Of The Blues
If you had the sticky neck experience with the gloss finish on the CU 22 I certainly wouldn't let you dissuade from the PRS experience. You can find a non-gloss neck!;) A couple others have come back with PRS suggestions and we are and, admittedly, a fanatical bunch. Here is my contribution to that hysteria.

In your price range either an SE or S2 would possibly fill your needs. Actually either would more than fill your needs. In my very biased opinion. The SE line is the one one that is made in Indonesia. But what separates it from other overseas lines in every guitar stable is every SE is sent to PRS in Annapolis for a final inspection. (Other companies sne their guitars directly to the dealer.)

The S2 line is one that is still handmade in the US. It is going to be at the higher end of your range, actually maybe a little over. But PRS has identified procedures that minimize handling, as I understand 10-20 hours, per guitar. I'm not going to try and explain it more. This video by Bryan Ewald does so far better than I ever could. It's a long video but if you scroll to about 25 minutes he talks about how PRS minimizes individual time and thusly costs:

Have fun on your hunt!!!!!!!

Another approach is to lightly use 0000 steel wool on the neck to bring down a gloss a bit and make it much less sticky. The look of the neck will stay pretty much the same and you can always polish it back to a gloss if needed.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
The Rondo/Agile neck throughs are awesome guitars with great upper fret access, but the pickups are overwound and dark/muddy so budget for a replacement. They have single cut AL-3200’s and a super cool double cut AD-3200 both made by WMI. Inventory is a bit thin due to Covid so you may have to be patient to get a finish you like.

https://www.rondomusic.com/product10497.html
This is the rout I would take ... and did recently ... if you aren't intimidated by a soldering iron and doing a pickup swap. These days just about any guitar is very playable. If the neck is too glossy / sticky, 5 minutes with a little 000 steel wool will fix that.

As for tonewood, well, many disagree with me, but after swapping pickups in over 20 guitars, I know that "tonewood" is a total myth and that 95% of a guitar's tone comes from the pickups and nothing else. I have a semi-hollow built like a Danelectro, plywood body frame, masonite top and back, and a mysterywood center block. I put three Duncan P90s in it and it sounds PHENOMENAL.
9245296146_be6f55774e.jpg

Here is the single-cut solid body I recently put together. It is an inexpensive GFS XV-500. It plays wonderfully. I schtuck a Bigsby B5 on it and replaced the pickups with a $335.00 set of Jim Wagner (JWP) American Steele pickups and new CTS pots and new paper in oil caps and put some good locking tuners and a roller bridge on it. It sounds awesome. Total cost about $915.00 ... $300.00 for the Bigsby, $335.00 for the pickups, about $50.00 for the pots and caps, and $230.00 for the guitar. Without the Bigsby you have an AWESOME guitar for $615.00. I will put this guitar up against any Les Paul on the planet!

The American Steele set is a Godwood Bridge and a Crossroads neck.
http://www.jimwagnerpickups.com/american_steele.html

https://www.guitarfetish.com/NEW-PR...le-Coil-Tap-Kwikplug-Clear-Gloss_p_36758.html
PIC 1.jpg

Last edited:

straightblues

Blues Junior
There are tons of options. I personally like to buy used if possible, so I can sell it quickly if I don't like it without losing money. Go out and just play a bunch and see what you like. Remember, Gibson has been number 1 in double humbuckers for a long time. Don't overlook them.

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
Gibson has also been fighting a disgruntled workforce and major financial issues for a long time both leading to a well earned reputation for QC issues. They make some fine instruments but they also have made a lot of bad ones. That is one brand that I would strongly recommend you play in person and THOROUGHLY inspect before buying. Especially check for things you can’t easily fix, like a misaligned bridge where the guitar can’t be intonated properly (seriously, I have seen that on more than one!).

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
You couldn't PAY me to buy a new Gibson! I wouldn't even think about it, except maybe for a 50 year old ES335 at an exorbitant price, and I can't afford that, so that is also out of the question. So long as PRS exists, Gibson doesn't in my world.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
If it is all about a sticky neck----that ain't no big $$$ fix--matter of fact you can fix that for less than $5.00--sand it with wet/dry 400 grit----then some 600 grit.... (I do not have a guitar up there that hasn't had the neck sanded)---then if that don't suit your fancy---with all the $$$$ you got left over--invest in some GOOD PICKUPS---there are a bunch of pickup upgrades out there----you can buy top notch replacements for around $200-300. Zexcoils--Lindy Fralin---Joe Naylors-to mention a few---have a pro install them for you and would still get in for less than $550. It is like buying a new guitar. and you get the tone your looking for. As for PRS guitars I have never played one that I didn't like---even the made in China ones.
If it is all about GAS--then go for it. At the prices you got posted you can still feed your syndrome but you might find out you had the right one all along.--- Just mt 2 cents I been down this road before---just like all the rest of us Blues Brothers.;)

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
It is like buying a new guitar. and you get the tone your looking for.
Problem is, a lot of players have no idea what tone they're looking for. And finding a guitar to try out that has Zexcoils, JWP, Bare Knuckle and some other pickup makes is virtually impossible unless a friend happens to have one. And being able to tell from Youtube demos is a leaned art only obtained by buying 20 or 30 sets of pickups based on such, throwing half of them out 'cause they suck, and learning how to spot a pickup's characteristics regardless of what player, guitar, amp, or amp settings are in the demos. I will tell you one thing: you will never find a guitar with the best pickups hanging in any music store. Well, pretty much so ... I have 16 electrics and all but two of them have had their pickups swapped out for better ones ... including my PRS ... but my Epi 339 Pro has EXCELLENT pickups that are still stock and staying put.

Last edited:

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I don't get this glossy neck issue? I have a couple PRS guitars and the Squier Classic Vibes that all have glossy necks. They are not sticky at all? I read that a guitar with a lacquer finish softens when it gets wet, from the moisture in your hand. But most guitars do not have lacquer finishes anymore. Maybe instead of steel wool it actually needs a good cleaning and polishing.

Maybe my hands just don't sweat? I sweat everywhere else, so maybe my hands don't need to?

I have a PRS CE24. It has a bolt on maple neck with a satin finish. It is USA made, and has the 85/15 pickups. It is much much nicer than my SE Soapbar. It's not up there with the top end PRS uSA, but it is a step above the SE.

And just for the record, of course the wood matters, if it matters to you. If you hear it and like it, then it matters to you. If you don't hear it, or care about the difference, then it doesn't matter to you.

You clearly don't need another guitar. So maybe decide what you always wanted to have, and get that. I always wanted a Les Paul. But then when I got one, I didn't like it. I love my SG though, so it's not a Gibson thing?