Help - Transposing Licks (Shuffle)

Blocker

Blues Newbie
Position 1 Lick 1 - is this a C Major lick?

If I were to put this into Solo 1 would I move it down 5 frets to become A minor?

Thanks in advance for any advice?

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
If you are referring to the slow blues feel Albert King style position 1 lick 1 on page 11, that lick comes from box 2 of the A minor pentatonic.

It is in the key of A. You can tell that by the A7 chord symbol over the 1st beat past the double bar line.

Since it is a position 1 lick with a "pick up" measure the lick flows into the I chord which is A7 in the key of A. The timing will be a bit different for this lick than the one that Griff chose for the solo 1 example. Notice the "Robben Ford" lick doesn't use the "pick up" measure.

Solo 1 is in the key of G, so just move the lick two frets toward the nut and you'll be in the key of G. But watch that timing.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Ah, sorry, probably my mistake.

You'd be changing from C to A so just move the whole lick down 3 frets (start on the E on the 2nd string 5th fret instead of the G on the 2nd string 8th fret).

The I chord can be either major or minor pentatonic, or, as the Clapton lick shows, both at the same time (bending the minor 3rd up to the major 3rd).