Hello from Southampton, Ontario, Canada

Hi there. Been receiving Griff's excellent daily emails for several years but am only now trying the forum as I struggle with Classic Rock Guitar Unleashed. Progress is sometimes a challenge! In my case, can't seem to get a grip on counting and playing and reading tab/music. Maybe I'll find some encouragement here (-:
Also wondering if there are other Griff fans in my neck of the woods?

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Welcome to the forum Paul. You'll certainly find encouragement here, along with plenty of sound advice. Counting is a problem for most people learning guitar. Hang in there, cos once you nail it it'll make the rest of the learning process so much easier. Remember to have fun whilst doing so, as Griff constantly reminds us it is called 'playing' guitar for a reason.:)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Welcome Paul.
Yeah most of us struggle with counting.
Over time, listen to the piece several time (until you are just about sick of hearing it) Then count along (All without the guitar in your hands).
Once you have the song firmly in your head, start looking at the tab and playing.
Try to get it memorized as quickly as you can, then discard the tab... Until you mess up, then look back at the tab.

artyman

Fareham UK
Hi and welcome from one of the UK mob, I'm abot 15 miles from the proper Southampton :LOL: Great bunch of folk on here with plenty of advice and encouragement. You might also like to take a wander down to the basement and join some of us in the Virtual Jam Room, you have to bring your own beer though :)

TexBill

Blues in Texas
Glad you decided to join the fun club. We have all struggled with counting at one point or another learning to play guitar.

Hang in. It gets easier.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
Hi Paul. It appears I'm about 5.5 hours from you in Michigan. I'm having a gathering of like minded guitar players in the fall if interested. (y):Beer:

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Welcome to the forum Paul. I'm glad you found us.
I have a much longer history of classic rock, (and oldies) than I do of the blues, and I too find the Classic Rock Unleashed course daunting. Taken in small bites in between the BGU 2.0 is how I manage (on my best days).
I encourage you to stay the course.

-ed

Larry

Knuckles
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum. I am a Griff fan and fellow Canadian from Collingwood just down the road. Griff is an amazing teacher and his courses have been the backbone of my guitar adventure. Counting seemed impossible for me but I stuck with it and am glad I did - it's worth it. The course Rhythm Figures for Blues Guitar provided the counting breakthrough for me.

Hello everyone and thanks for all the encouragement! Just getting used to how the forum works. Had been expecting a notification email when replies were posted but today is the first one I've had, so sorry for my late response
I think I've concluded that Lead lessons in Classic Rock Guitar Unleashed need to be taken very slowly. Well at least for me. I've spent weeks on the lesson 3 examples and am beginning to feel some progress. Plus endless practicing of Boxes 1, 2 and 3 using hammer ons and pull offs, and in groups of 3 and 4, per lesson examples, helps. My pinkie (little) finger doesn't have the reach and strength, especially higher up the neck, but it's getting better.
Should have learned guitar when I was a teenager instead of waiting till I retired

Hi and welcome from one of the UK mob, I'm abot 15 miles from the proper Southampton :LOL: Great bunch of folk on here with plenty of advice and encouragement. You might also like to take a wander down to the basement and join some of us in the Virtual Jam Room, you have to bring your own beer though :)
Hi arty an,
I'm an ex Brit so I know where you are! There's one thing we've got in Southampton Ontario that might beat Southampton UK. We face west and the sunsets over lake Huron are fantastic

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Hey Paul welcome man. Glad you found us!!

Counting takes a really long time eventually the brain will help but you have to train it. Listening to various songs and counting along while driving is something i did … shuffles and straight feels etc classic rock etc.

Mike S always says you need to count until you dont need to count. It sounded funky as heck to me hearing that multiple times but its legit true.

Hey John, thanks for the encouragement. There's a common thread throughout my guitar journey. It's easy to underestimate how long and how much practice it will take to achieve a goal. Particularly at my age!! But as Griff says, a few minutes a day and stop when you're getting bored with it, will get results in the long run. The trick seems to be in not letting yourself get discouraged .

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
If you have fun with it, use the lessons a bit every time you play, the gains will come almost without you realizing it. In a year, you'll be surprised how those tiny daily improvements have changed your playing.