Hello from Laguna Beach

m.ellis

Blues Newbie
I'm 60 years old and started playing guitar only 2 years ago. During that time, I got a Music Theory certificate from Berklee College of Music (MT 100, 200, and 300), and I'm about to finish a Guitar Skills certificate (Scales 101; Chords 101, 201; Guitar Sound). But, I haven't really learned how to play a tune. Seriously ... it's ridiculous. Looking forward to learning how to improvise and play some of Griff's solos.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Welcome! :) Playing Blues solos, and improvising are two different animals. Each requires a different approach. Personally, I think it is a great idea to have a good number of solos under your belt, while you pick up the art and skill set required to improvise. :cool:

Tom

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Thanks for the invite. I need to first learn to play the blues, and then maybe I'll take you up on your kind offer.
pffffftttttttttt, the fastest way to get better, is to play with others,and we dont do just blues, someone throws out a song, we try and play it, all in fun

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I would say just pick some songs you like and try to figure out some rhythm/chord parts. Maybe something like Tom Petty which doesn't go into crazy jazzy territory. Doesn't have to be blues, although there a lot of blues standards that come up all the time at blues jams.

I am on the East Coast but on business trips I've met and played with some of the SoCal players on this forum like sdbrit68 and elio and DR Ron and they are welcoming of all skill levels so go for one of their jams. You can go and just listen and check it out.