Hello from BC Canada

CraigEdgmon

Blues Newbie
Took a bit to realize there was a forum. Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I live in New Westminster BC and work primarily from home. This allows me to easily grab a guitar and practice. I have many of the courses and am currently working through Begining Blues Guitar. I have played off and on for a few years.
I seem to be stuck playing only two songs when I am noodling and playing with finger picking. They are so versital and can do so much with them. The songs are Hey Joe and Knocking on Heavens Door.

I have a Martin 000-15M and an Epiphone ES-335 DOT that has been modified with some Lollar imperial pickups. I play through a Fender Blues Jr with a BOSS Blues Driver and a looper or through a Spark practice amp. Excited to get through a few of my courses.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Took a bit to realize there was a forum. Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I live in New Westminster BC and work primarily from home. This allows me to easily grab a guitar and practice. I have many of the courses and am currently working through Begining Blues Guitar. I have played off and on for a few years.
I seem to be stuck playing only two songs when I am noodling and playing with finger picking. They are so versital and can do so much with them. The songs are Hey Joe and Knocking on Heavens Door.

I have a Martin 000-15M and an Epiphone ES-335 DOT that has been modified with some Lollar imperial pickups. I play through a Fender Blues Jr with a BOSS Blues Driver and a looper or through a Spark practice amp. Excited to get through a few of my courses.
Glad you found us Craig.
Sounds like you have everything you need to make a great start.
For motivation and support, record yourself & post it in the appropriate are here on the forum. If you ask for constructive criticism, you will get suggestions on how to make it better, or at least different.

If you are looking for more tips & songs to play, Griff has created a list of tips & songs. I'd suggest looking here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLu2dYeCRndWdpjOdvI-UPI8_R68ikqygX

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Hey welcome man ... the forum is full of helpful people glad you found us.

Knocking on Heavens Door yeah one of my favs and done a lot live. People get into it for sure.

Everyone picks songs they dig maybe Thrill is Gone might be on the horizon or Red House?

TexBill

Blues in Texas
Welcome Craig. You are not alone when it comes to the realization the forum exists. I purchased a course and did not read the entire email sent with instructions on how to download the material. Almost 18 months passed before I contacted helpdesk about an issue and was informed about the member's portal...

Good playing and recording.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Welcome and have fun! :cool::)

When I was in the Air Force, stationed at Biloxi, Mississippi, in tech school, we had a guy from a "Pacific Island", as he told the story. He was from Vancouver Island! :)

I was once sort of in Vancouver, BC. So close and yet so far! April 1965, we were at McCord Air Force Base in Tacoma, Washington, those of us that won the Air Force Talent Contest, at Division level. We were on our way to Hamilton Air Force Base, near San Francisco, for the finals. The pilot needed a few more hours flight time to be paid that month, and instead of heading South, he headed North and landed in Vancouver BC.

When we landed, the authorities surrounded our C47 plane. A customs agent boarded the plane and instructed us not to leave, as that would be "an invasion since we had no orders or permission to land in BC". Then he asked if anyone had cigarettes? A bunch of guys attempted to hand him their packs of cigarettes, offering him a smoke. He then said, "let me see everyone cigarette packs". None of the packs had the blue stamp broken (tax stamp), which was against the law. He fined those with cigarettes, as none of the packs had broken stamps. We all had to chip in to pay the fine. I was one of the few who did not smoke. :eek:

Tom

TexBill

Blues in Texas
@Silicon Valley Tom where were you actually stationed when you were in the Talent Contest?
Did you play guitar or some other instrument. Did you participate as an individual or was it a team effort. And did you (team) win an award.

BTW, I had torally forgotten Hamilton AFB ever esisted. Had to look it up to refresh my memory. Hope you are having a great weekend. Later

RobertYoung186

Blues Student/enthusiast
Welcome! Bluesdriver and and a Blues Jr! Very nice. Love a 335 or something close to it.

Last edited:

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
@Silicon Valley Tom where were you actually stationed when you were in the Talent Contest?
Did you play guitar or some other instrument. Did you participate as an individual or was it a team effort. And did you (team) win an award.

BTW, I had torally forgotten Hamilton AFB ever esisted. Had to look it up to refresh my memory. Hope you are having a great weekend. Later
I was stationed at Condon Radar Site, Condon, Oregon the 636th. I played a Farruca, on my flamenco guitar, as a solo. I had played for several of the best dancers from Spain, previous to that. I won the solo category. Yvette Mimieux, was the honored guest. She was a very nice person. I remember playing jazz with Sgt. Moon, of the Flying Rifles, 6th Air Force Precision Marching Team, after the event. Sgt. Moon played bass, and was a great guy.

I will send you a PM.

Tom