Helix Native > Scarlett Solo > Reaper

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
I currently use my Helix LT connected to my PC to record with. This works great, but I want to get the Helix off my desk and use it strictly as a floor unit. That led me to get Helix Native, the desktop plugin that lets me have all of the features of the Helix without the physical unit. I bought a Focusrite Scarlett Solo as my interface to plug my guitar into so that I can record to my PC. I am using Reaper as my DAW. After getting my Helix removed and getting the Scarlett all hooked up and changing all of the ASIO / sound setting on my PC and in Reaper, I have run into an issue. I can insert Helix Native into a new track in Reaper and it opens up the Native app just fine. When I arm the track to record, all I here is a dry guitar (no effects at all) and nothing gets recorded. I have been fighting with this issue off and on for about a month, seemingly trying everything that I know of to get it to work, but so far, no luck. I downloaded the free version of Ableton Live Lite 9 that came with the Scarlett so that I could see if it worked with Ableton, then the problem would most likely be with my Reaper setup. I got Ableton all installed and couldn't even add the Helix Native to a track. After about an hour of searching the web, I find out the this version of Ableton is not compatible with VST3 plugins, which just happens to be what Helix Native is. I am at the end of my rope screwing around with this trying to get it to work. If any of you have a similar setup and have any words of wisdom, I am all ears!

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Had a similar problem using 11 rack into audacity, turned out to be outdated drivers. Lloyd told me to update my drivers and that got it sorted for me.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Hope you get some good advise.
I can't speak to Reaper or Helix.

I can only say that as good as computer based recording can be, It often brings with it more aggravation then we are willing to accept.
Aside from system issues, I would highly recommend that folks pick a DAW and just stick with it.
Every DAW has it's own peculiarities and learning curve.
I would never suggest anyone switch DAWs unless there is a particular feature you must have.

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
Funlily enough i won a full helix native package the other day,,i have no Daw other than audacity which i use on a very basic level for the VJR,,so i know have a free $300 or whatever it costs native on my PC lol

Ted_Zeppelin

Hope you get some good advise.
I can't speak to Reaper or Helix.

I can only say that as good as computer based recording can be, It often brings with it more aggravation then we are willing to accept.
Aside from system issues, I would highly recommend that folks pick a DAW and just stick with it.
Every DAW has it's own peculiarities and learning curve.
I would never suggest anyone switch DAWs unless there is a particular feature you must have.

I have only used Reaper as my DAW, so I am leaning towards it being an issue with the Scarlett Solo or some setting in Reaper that I need to change since I began using the solo as my guitar interface in place of the Helix. I agree that computers can be very maddening at times, but I guess for me the benefits outweigh the headaches. Past experience tells me that when I finally figure out what the issue is, it will be something stupidly simple that I am overlooking.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
fter getting my Helix removed and getting the Scarlett all hooked up and changing all of the ASIO / sound setting on my PC and in Reaper, I have run into an issue.

Brian, I don't use reaper or have a scarlett or use helix native but I have used a number of DAW's and interfaces and that sentence above sticks out to me. Did you download and install the Focusrite ASIO driver or are you using the driver that was already installed on your machine? Generic ASIO drivers don't always work well with devices that have a native ASIO driver.

https://customer.focusrite.com/downloads?product=Scarlett%20Solo

I did a google search for your issue and it seems a few people have had this issue but no resolutions are noted in the threads on those forums.

Good luck. It's one reason I tend to use hardware recorders rather than DAW's. Simplicity, no latency, and no drivers or interfaces.

Eric

Ted_Zeppelin

Brian, I don't use reaper or have a scarlett or use helix native but I have used a number of DAW's and interfaces and that sentence above sticks out to me. Did you download and install the Focusrite ASIO driver or are you using the driver that was already installed on your machine? Generic ASIO drivers don't always work well with devices that have a native ASIO driver.

https://customer.focusrite.com/downloads?product=Scarlett%20Solo

I did a google search for your issue and it seems a few people have had this issue but no resolutions are noted in the threads on those forums.

Good luck. It's one reason I tend to use hardware recorders rather than DAW's. Simplicity, no latency, and no drivers or interfaces.

Eric
Eric, thank you for looking at this. Pretty sure that I downloaded all the latest drivers,etc but I don’t recall getting one for the Scarlett. I will check that when I get home tonight.

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
Having won the helix native thingy and down loading it i discovered i needed some thing other than audacity oso i went for the free version of protools,,,mmmm, looks very complicated i think i will stick to audacity and leave the helix sitting in the hard drive unused,,,oh well didnt cost me anything lol

Ted_Zeppelin

Finally got it working. I sent a support request into Focusrite. Even though it was not an issue with the Scarlett Solo, he gave me step by step instructions for all of the settings and it appears as though I was not setting the input on the track in Reaper correctly. Once I got it lined up to correct output from the solo, everything works as it should. I assumed it would be one little piece that I was missing and thanks to my new buddy at Focusrite, this was confirmed!!! Now I can get the Helix LT back on the floor where it belongs. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
The little things can be frustrating, but, at least they are only little things!
Glad it is working!
Eric

Ted_Zeppelin

I love computers:mad::mad::mad:!!! Ever since removing my Helix from my computer and replacing it with a Focusrite Scarlett / Helix Native, I have been experiencing audio dropouts on a regular basis. That is one of the main reasons that I have not been recording much lately. Been through all of the online help sites, youtube and the websites for all of the different hardware components. No luck at all and was just about ready to move the Helix back to my computer desk...until today. I decided to get me a dedicated USB port to install in one of the open PCI ports on my motherboard. After downloading and installing the latest drivers I think my issue might finally have been fixed. Been playing for about an hour with zero audio dropouts(y). Keeping my fingers crossed. The one good thing to come out of this is that I spent the last month playing through nothing by my amps, so it was good to get re-acquainted with them.