Hear the Modes

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Luke is a guy in Australia who does bass lessons that I sometimes use. He has a new youtube about hearing the modes that is kind of interesting and, although it's for bass players, it applies well to guitar. There is no information that isn't in GTMU or Modes Unleashed, but the approach is a little different. It is low-key and fairly short, as well.

In his pinned comment (below the video if you go to youtube) there are a whole bunch of songs in various modes which I thought were fun and interesting to listen to.

Here is the link:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
This is an excellent demonstration. (y)

Just a small (?) suggestion if you are going to try it.

When I do it, I use the solfege syllables, do-re-mi-fa-sol-la-ti-do, that most everybody has heard.

(Thanks to Rogers and Hammerstein and Julie Andrews.)

If you're familiar with these sounds, it's easier to hear the "modal" deviations from the Major Scale.

Rather than singing da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da. :)

(However, singing da-da-da will actually be easier once you start having a bunch of flatted notes, i.e. 3 and up. :whistle:)

Note that he's singing/playing all the Parallell Modes starting on A (which are all in different keys), not the Relative Modes of A Major. :sneaky:

Last edited:
Reactions: dvs

david moon

Attempting the Blues
So, what is the difference between "Parallell Modes starting on A (which are all in different keys), not the Relative Modes of A Major." :sneaky:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Relative Modes Of A Major:

A Ionian
B Dorian
C# Phrygian
D Lydian
E Mixolydian
F# Aeolian
G# Locrian

Parallel Modes Starting on A:

A Ionian------------1st Mode of A Major
A Dorian-----------2nd Mode of G Major
A Phrygian--------3rd Mode of F Major
A Lydian-----------4th Mode of E Major
A Mixolydian------5th Mode of D Major
A Aeolian----------6th Mode of C Major
A Locrian----------7th Mode of Bb Major

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Using Parallel modes keeps everything within the same vocal range, i.e. the same octave, from A to A.

And in the order he went it's easier to hear the one note difference within that octave from mode to mode.

And, although he didn't point it out, in that same order the Key (and Parent scale) of each mode is always moving down a 5th on the Circle of 5ths. :sneaky:

(Yes, I realize he started with the Major scale and moved "up" to Lydian before coming back "down". So by "in that same order" I mean starting with Lydian and coming "down" getting progressively "darker". )

Last edited:

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
Very good video. Changing (dropping) one note at a time not only helps you hear the differences in sound between the modes but also helps you remember how to play them. Thanks for posting.