Heads up acoustic players

Elwood

Blues
Acoustic fans,

I know "jam tracks" may not be on the top of your wish list, please hear me out.

@CaptOblivious posted at track called "Neither minor nor A" in the Virtual Jam Room below in this forum.

This is a track in E at a lazy pace with nice active players on the (backing) track you can bounce (your playing ideas) off of. This one is a real kick in the pants to just sit and play over. All kinds of chances to practice slipping in those lines you have been working on, and see how you are doing against the house band "the phantom robots".

I tried this with my electric and came away cold, nothing happening at all. The next day I was sitting on the couch with my iPad and brought that track into garage band and sat there in headphones with a 12 fretter and had a ball.

I mention this because I believe this is a great chance for acoustic fans here to:

-grab a great track to play over
-try your acoustic skills in (maybe) a little different way. In particular, improvising over a 12 bar format.
-learn a bit about recording and all (no denying hearing yourself helps to learn - and - if you don't know what you are doing here is your chance to learn a bit - lots of good help here just for the asking - even if you are not sure how to get it downloaded, just ask)
-have a blast with your acoustic. Especially this track has that evasive quality of sounding complete without your playing while leaving all kinds of room to try your ideas.
-Get to enjoy some other features of the forum. Different folks...and so on. The vjr is definitely a feature, and with the stuff that is posted and played there is always something to learn. And it's fun!!!

So, why don't you at least try this in the comfort of your privacy? And then post up!!! Lots of help and support!!! I hear the stuff you guys post on your acoustics and it is hot, yup just don't hold back!

Hey, I'm just a hack, hacking away. But this is really fun to hack over!!!

Last edited:

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
You should suggest some acoustic jam tracks over in that thread where Griff was asking what we'd like to see.

Elwood

Blues
You should suggest some acoustic jam tracks over in that thread where Griff was asking what we'd like to see.
Good idea @snarf ! I see two things,

1) as far as the vjr goes I feel it is best to quote @Griff "For VJR stuff we try to stick with tracks that are public - either found online somewhere and publicly available, or tracks people have made." I'm sure he has his reasons. His preferences are plenty good enough for me, especially in his house.

2) I believe the thread you refer to is in the "suggestion box" for AAP members. (I am not current with my AAP status.) Maybe you could place the suggestion? Or, I bet we just did ;), it seems that sometimes Griff keeps his finger in the wind pretty good (I'm sure with some help from all the mods). More than once I have noticed "coincidental" information posted by Griff when we are struggling with something, individually or as a group, in the forum.

It's nice to see that you and @Hangnman might have an interest in something like that. I will try to look also. I am dumb as a post at that stuff though. Really.

There are a growing number of folks here that at least enjoy an acoustic now and then. More than a quite few play rings around my silly derrière. We should have a little more acoustic fun and that vjr is fun!!! So are those challenges that are popping up each month, jump in! So is hearing some playing from all you guys and ladies!

:D

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I found the thread up in the global announcements, so I added the suggestion. I actually had the acoustic out earlier this afternoon doing the thing Griff talks about sometimes...pulled out a book of Beatles lyrics, grabbed the acoustic, and just started playing through some of them. Wasn't blues by any stretch, but some tracks to practice the thump-bass and then solo over would be a lot of fun.

Elwood

Blues
Great on the suggestion! That is cool about you and the b book. I do the same thing only I usually think of some old tune and see if, or how far, I can flesh it out and then I'm off to some google result for lyrics and or some chords. Nothin fancy.
but some tracks to practice the thump-bass and then solo over would be a lot of fun.
One of us should be able to come up with something. :thumbup:
Down in the vjr I really don't care to exclude anyone from track participation. Quite the opposite, that's a big part of the fun. But if we come up with a nice acoustic friendly track and it got all electrified right away (that would be great, indicating a good track right?) there are fixes. The track can be stretched to add time for more players or simply restarted. Both have been done successfully.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Hey this is a great idea, and one I never would have thought of on my own.... that's why I ask :)

Definitely keep the ideas coming, it makes my job a lot easier when I don't have to imagine what y'all want... you just tell me :)