Having problems with GMail using Windows 10?

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...ous-problem-deleted-emails-spam/#6a2e0d1319cd

I am also having issues with Windows 10 and Comcast eMail. We are at the mercy of the gods. That is, the self proclaimed technical gods. :(

Perhaps we could go back to smoke signals for the purpose of communications? Maybe not. Then we have to deal with the environmentalists, time of day, wind direction, fuel type and supply, and much more! :cry:

Tom

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
I'm still using Windows Live Mail 2012, if it ain't broke................
Artyman, that could come back to bite you. As Tom said, we are at the mercy of the MICROSOFT (my emphasis) technical gods. If they decide to dead-end Live Mail you may be in trouble. You aren't still using Windows 7 are you?
I'm not standing (sitting) here trying to hold forth - my wife is still on Windows 7, AND Live Mail, so I can't talk, but if I could talk her into dumping Live Mail and upgrading to Windows 10 (and I've got the machine ready, sitting here alongside mine) I would be a much happier (old) man.
The entire focus of the tech gurus these days is "devices" - if it doesn't fit in your pocket it's going to be deemed obsolete by those folks pretty soon, and those of us who remember dial-up and UseNet News Groups will be up s**t creek for sure.
My POV is to avoid Windows built-ins at all costs. If only *Nix could compete with hardware compatibility and drivers I would abandon Microsoft in a 64th note.
/End-of-rant/
Cheers from Oz.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
If only *Nix could compete with hardware compatibility and drivers
Just for the sake of conversation the MacOS is a certified Unix operating system and it runs on BSD distribution with the Darwin kernel. If you don't like the fancy gui interface Apple provides you all you need to do is open a terminal window and type all the Unix commands you know and love :Beer:

It does require Apple hardware though. And since Apple is dropping Intel in favor of their own chips this fall (iPhone, iPad and Mac will all be using the same chipset) this last generation of Intel Apples should be cheap soon.

Actually, also for the sake of conversation, I run Windows 7 in a virtual machine on my Mac Pro. I have two pieces of software that were never ported to the Mac and the Windows 10 upgrades cost too much. Too much in the sense that the Windows 7 versions run just fine and I don't get anything additional worth paying for the upgrade. I like vm's.

And speaking of "for the sake of conversation" I also run MacOS versions 10.6 server Snow Leopard, 10.7 Lion, 10.8 Mountain Lion, 10.13 High Sierra, 10.14 Mojave, and even though my host OS on the Mac Pro is 10.14 I'm running 10.15 Catalina in a vm. I always run the next generation OS in a vm before upgrading the host machines OS to check for old software and hardware incompatibilities.

I also run an Apple IIgs in a vm, but shhh don't tell anyone, they stopped making the hardware for that in 1992. :LOL::Beer: The IIgs hardware sits in the basement with it's firmware in a vm on my Mac.

I'm not a nerd, really, I'm not. Yes I am. Oh no I'm not!

Eric

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
When I worked at NUMMI (Toyota and General Motors from 2000 to 2009 and then I retired), our company would not allow any upgrades from Microsoft, until several months of testing occurred. We could not afford a plant shutdown. I wrote software to make cars and trucks. Today Tesla occupies that establishment.

At home, I am confronted with attempting to shut down my computer at the end of the day. I will sometimes (once a day, week or month, etc.) receive a message to the effect - do not turn off your computer - update! One update a few weeks ago took 45 minutes.

Over the years I have used CPM, MPM, DOS, Windows 286, 386, and all the rest of the Windows offerings, as well as all Apple offerings. When I was consulting (1993-2000) I would tell customers: "Do you want to play computer? Use a PC! Do you want to run your business? Use an Apple"!

At home, I have "enjoyed Microsoft updates". I would purchase an expensive piece of hardware or software, and shortly thereafter Microsoft would have an "update". This would often render my newly purchased computer goodies unusable. I would contact the vendor and they would tell me they were not going to update the software drivers, etc. This included but was not limited to HP, M Audio, Adobe, and the list goes on. You plank out $300-$1000 for software or hardware, and it no longer works. How nice! So thoughtful! Now that I am retired, I cannot stop eating or paying rent to purchase hardware or software to replace what Microsoft has deemed "obsolete".

With CPM, we had to write our own drivers. I learned what operating system addresses did what. If Microsoft (which used CPM as a foundation for its Operating Systems) wants to make hardware or software obsolete, it can choose to do so. You pay the price. For years, I have wondered what games are being played behind the scenes at Microsoft. They can pick and choose who their "friends" are. If you are in the computer hardware of software business, you are at the mercy of Microsoft. Do they like me or not? Will they allow my product to work with Windows? Stay tuned for the next update sports fans! Time will tell. But not to fear. Microsoft will surely come through and "do the right thing". :eek:

Please bend over, grab your ankles, and enjoy the experience! :cry:

Tom

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
I liked XP. W/7 is good. W/10 is not bad. Any of the DOS based ones are ..... um.... temperamental?? :whistle: 3.1 or less, 95, 2000, were forced on us at work so I had to use them. ME was as bad as 3.1. I liked one place I worked that used OS/2 Warp back in the early '90's but that didn't last long at all. IBM dropped the ball, as usual :LOL:

These days MacOS and Windows have borrowed enough from each other there isn't much difference (unless you get new hardware, Windows drivers can be a time suck).

I never used CPM that I recall. I did use Focal on a DEC PDP/8e in high school, though! And I still have the manual, that somehow followed me home from school and never made it back.

Eric

artyman

Fareham UK
Aah CPM that stirs memories, PIP files ! These days I just want something that works and does the job I'm working on at that moment, not interested in more fancy widgets.

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Oh boy, this is fun. All the memories. firmware on 10" floppy disks
To the present -

Windows 10 has "Windows Subsystem for Linux". I wonder ...... but not going there. I retired from that game too long ago, now I just want a stable platform that does what I need, just like Artyman and Windows Live Mail 2012.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
I just want a stable platform that does what I need
They are all pretty stable now, even Windows since XP. It's just a matter of security when software companies drop support for an OS. The nice things about vm's, if one gets infected just delete it and start another one.

Eric

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Just for a laugh - Apple called theirs OSX when it got based on *niX, I wonder when (or if) we're ever going to get WindoX? They already failed the Roman-Numeral test with Windows 10. I just cannot imagine how big a mess Microsoft would make of it - naturally it would have to be more "beautiful" than anybody else's version - BUGgy with a fringe on top. Oh, there you go, they could steal Apple's nomenclature model and call it OKLAHOMA.