Hard to believe it's been 6 years

LosBassMan

"Bottom Feeding since 1996"
The saying "Time flies by when your having fun" is true, it's hard to believe the band has been going for 6 years now, 4 years with the same line up. The best part is we don't have to beg for gigs anymore, when we first started we had to beg and then beg some more to get a bar gig, it was tough--I hate begging for anything! This past week we have booked over 15 gigs thru October and have not had to ask for any of them, 6 of the gigs are private parties. I blocked out the dates for the NE jam so Hope and I can attend this year--it's been too long!
For all of ya'll that are starting out playing in a band just keep nagging bar managers and owners for gigs it will pay out in the long run, even though it sucks begging.

Carlos

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Happy for you. My experience with getting gigs is a little similar, it gets easir over time, but the field is very crowded here in Denver.
Keeping a steady lineup has been an issue with the 2 bands I am involved with.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Because of the number of performers in my area, I almost ALWAYS have to call, but after one or two shows I get an easy yes... until they decide to stop having music. Then I have to start all over again some place else.

LosBassMan

"Bottom Feeding since 1996"
Because of the number of performers in my area, I almost ALWAYS have to call, but after one or two shows I get an easy yes... until they decide to stop having music. Then I have to start all over again some place else.

Yes I imagine the smaller the market the faster your name gets out there, then there is the limit of venues to play at without traveling too far. Having Marj upfront for 5 years has helped us, as she has really stepped up to the mic so to speak, she has gained so much confidence over the years and can work the crowd.

Carlos

Bernie Fitz

Blues Junior
About 2 years in we've only had 3 gigs that we didn't have to solicit. My theory on contacting venues has been that they get so many e-mail requests for booking that if we don't hear anything back within a week or two we're not going to unless we contact them again because our original message is by that time so far down in the inbox they'll never see it. Almost all the responses we've received to booking inquiries have been within a day or two of the last e-mail. It's sometimes luck that you catch them on the day they're checking these messages. We just keep trying unless someone asks us to stop. So far no one has.

jporzelius

Blues Junior
Nice going Carlos. It has been fun watching the progress of your band on this listserv, and yes, the videos show your lead singer really blossom over the years. Good stuff. My band played our first actual bar gig one year ago. We are aiming for 4 or 5 gigs a year (hobby band). We have 3 booked for 2019 including one tonight. Ours is a small market and we hope to get in with a couple bars that will just book us twice a year and we are good. Our singer is our booking agent. He is a salesman in real life and he is great at contacting bar owners and following up with the kind of persistence that makes a sale.

jahmer

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Well done Carlos!

Your comments inspired memories of my Geology teacher in engineering college! "One million years is but a pinhole in Geologic time"! :)

My teachers name was Mr. Stone! How is that for a Geology teacher's name? :cool:

Tom

FrankL

Mr. Bites Off More Than I Can Chew
Very nice Carlos! I really hope that you and Hope make it to NE. It would be awesome to see you guys again!

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
Well done Carlos!

Your comments inspired memories of my Geology teacher in engineering college! "One million years is but a pinhole in Geologic time"! :)

My teachers name was Mr. Stone! How is that for a Geology teacher's name? :cool:

Tom

Next thing, you'll say he was a rock star.

Glad you guys are still out there doing it, Carlos!

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Carlos..kudos to you, Hope, the rest of your band. Congratulations...you certainly have something
special.

Last edited: