Hand gestures

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
I registered for Friday's BGU Live seminar but work got in the way. I finally got around to watching the recording, right before going to a local jam.
I was fascinated by the fact that your hand gestures don't match what I'm used to. I watched the band hosting the jam tonight (they play for an hour before the jam starts) . Sure enough they used the gestures I'm used to, even though I had never played at that venue:
Fist = stop. E.g. "Kansas city", or maybe "Sweet Home Chicago", the singer would bring his fit up on the bar before, then "pump it down" on the 1 for the break on those verses that call for one.
Finger swirling in a circle = wrap it up, the singer does the sign around bar 9, and people stop on the 12 (or 1 depending how they end it)

Are those gestures "regional"?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I did the finger twirl at one of my first BGU Live events. I meant wrap it up as you said, but Griff said that it means go around again...
Maybe they aren't as universal as we would hope???

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I suppose those gestures could be regional... I'm just teaching from my experience where that's concerned.

I guess the general rule is, if you see a hand gesture, pay attention because something is going to happen... you just may not know what!