Slow Blues Feel Guitarist with a brain injury

Discussion in 'Blues Solo Construction Kit' started by GeoffreyWinn, Oct 21, 2018.

1. GeoffreyWinn

GeoffreyWinn Blues Newbie

Hi. I have an acquired brain injury, so it is quite hard to follow lessons, but I have been working hard on my guitar lessons for two years. I bought the Blues Slow Solo Construction Kit, which I think is great. The idea is perfect for a person with a brain injury. But I cannot understand how it exactly works?

Griff says in the Introduction that you can use licks in one position, but don’t swap positions (eg do not swap position one lick 2 with position three lick 2). That’s ok, how do you move from one position to another position (1-7) if the licks are in different keys? It's probably because of me, but I find the instructions are not clear.

Thank you very much for help by everyone.

2. MikeS

MikeS Allen, TX
    Staff Member

He's not saying not to change the licks so that they match the key you are playing in he's just saying that a lick that works in position 1 may not work in another position.
    I think he intentionally did that so that we would get used to learning a lick in one key, but still be able to apply it to another key.
    For instance
    if lick 1 is in A (A7 chord say)
    then when the chord changes in bar 5 (which would be the IV chord and in the Key of A it should go to a D)
    if the lick for that bar is in another key (let's say G, which would have a C7 or C9 as the IV chord )
    then all you have to do is move everything in that lick up two frets and it will be in the key of A

I know that may sound a bit confusing, so if you still don't get it, let me know.

3. Paleo

Paleo What's the root?

Check out Griff's introduction to Solo Example #1.

Here he explains how to move licks into the same Key.

He randomly picks one of the 5 possible licks for each position and moves them all down into one key, G.

Here's a summary chart for this solo example:

Position....Lick....Original Key
    ......1...........3.............C#
    ......2...........1.............C
    ......3...........4.............C
    ......4...........1.............G
    ......5...........5.............D
    ......6...........3.............C
    ......7...........4.............C#

What might be causing a bit of confusion is using the word "position" in two different contexts; the position in the progression and the position on the fretboard.

The position of the lick within the progression (1-7) doesn't change.

However the position or area on the fretboard you play it in does change.

A position 1 Lick will always occupy the same place in a progression regardless of the key, but it will start on a different fret for each key.

#3 Paleo, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    GeoffreyWinn likes this.
  4. GeoffreyWinn

Thank you very much!

Paleo likes this.
  5. GeoffreyWinn

Thanx. I will sit down and try to understand. Thanx for that. Geoffrey