Guitar World's 100 greatest guitar solos

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Was perusing Amazon a little bit ago and saw this book. I thought, I know it's not blues, but it might be fun to learn some iconic kind of solos. I'm also guessing it's probably not the 100 greatest guitar solos so much as it is the 100 greatest guitar solos they could get the copy-write to print.

Anybody own it to have any thoughts on it? If you do, do the solos seem pretty close or have they been simplified or as overly complicated as magazines sometimes print (we've all seen the ones where the tab shows something fretted on like the 2nd and 10th fret at the same time).

51DuqJZy2NL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Well, I couldn't wait for a review, so I bought the Kindle Version for $6.99 + tax.

Well, unless I can figure out how to change it, the Tabs are WAY too small for me to read.

snarf

Well, I couldn't wait for a review, so I bought the Kindle Version for $6.99 + tax.

Well, unless I can figure out how to change it, the Tabs are WAY too small for me to read.
I hadn't actually bought it yesterday evening when I posted. My curiosity got the better of me, and before I went to bed, I pulled the trigger on the book. Supposedly it's sitting in the back of an Amazon van a couple of neighborhoods over and will get delivered today. Kind of like you mentioned, I've learned that anything with tabs I should probably go ahead and get the book. The Kindle versions are a bit of a crap shoot...sometimes you can read the tab, and sometimes it's so small that, even though it's viewable, it's not necessarily readable.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I hadn't actually bought it yesterday evening when I posted. My curiosity got the better of me, and before I went to bed, I pulled the trigger on the book. Supposedly it's sitting in the back of an Amazon van a couple of neighborhoods over and will get delivered today. Kind of like you mentioned, I've learned that anything with tabs I should probably go ahead and get the book. The Kindle versions are a bit of a crap shoot...sometimes you can read the tab, and sometimes it's so small that, even though it's viewable, it's not necessarily readable.

When it comes to Kindle versions of music, an electron microscope is essential! :eek:

Tom

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
And once again the incredibly simple yet musically perfect ten-bar solo (twelve, if you count the small outro) from Boston's, "More Than A Feelin'" is conspicuously missing.

Why doesn't that solo ever get any props? :notworthy:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member

I was able to return the ebook and order the hard copy.

snarf

Flipped through mine last night, and initially it looks like it'll be pretty cool. It is just the solos and not the entire songs, so I like that it has the time stamp at the beginning of the music so you know where in the song it starts. There are some pretty big omissions I think, but I'm imagining those were more due to copy write issues than anything. I also thought it was kind of weird the way some of the solos were included and edited or not. For instance, it has 20 pages worth of the Freebird solo, but Cliffs of Dover is only 2 pages and Stray Cat Strut is only a single page.

At the beginning of the book it gives a blurb about each solo. That could contain some interesting tidbits on the music. On the down side, it's a typical paperback with a glued binding. It would have been nice if it would have been bound so that it could be held open easily. This thing is going to be a bear to try to keep open to play from.

There are a lot in there that I'm not really interested in, but there are lot that might be cool to learn. I think I'll start with Hotel California. That's easily one of my fave songs, and I think it'll be fun to learn.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Flipped through mine last night, and initially it looks like it'll be pretty cool. It is just the solos and not the entire songs, so I like that it has the time stamp at the beginning of the music so you know where in the song it starts. There are some pretty big omissions I think, but I'm imagining those were more due to copy write issues than anything. I also thought it was kind of weird the way some of the solos were included and edited or not. For instance, it has 20 pages worth of the Freebird solo, but Cliffs of Dover is only 2 pages and Stray Cat Strut is only a single page.

At the beginning of the book it gives a blurb about each solo. That could contain some interesting tidbits on the music. On the down side, it's a typical paperback with a glued binding. It would have been nice if it would have been bound so that it could be held open easily. This thing is going to be a bear to try to keep open to play from.

There are a lot in there that I'm not really interested in, but there are lot that might be cool to learn. I think I'll start with Hotel California. That's easily one of my fave songs, and I think it'll be fun to learn.

Cool! I'll have to compare it to the version of hotel that I tabbed out.