Guitar workshops

BillKociaba

Blues Newbie
Has anyone had any experience with any of the various guitar workshops? about 25 years ago my first wife sent me to the national guitar summer workshop in Ct for my birthday and it was a blast. Lots of fun and I really felt I learned a lot. Well I am toying with the idea of treating myself to one of them next summer. wondering if anyone has attended "down to the crossroads"(catchy title) or Guitar workshop plus or any others for that matter. Any help would be greatly appriceated. Bill.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Haven't been to any recently, but I also attended National Guitar Workshops in New Milford, CT in the summers of:

1997-Blues with Adam Levy, David Hamburger
1998-Blues Blasters with Matt Smith, Kirby Kelly-special guests Poppa Chubby, Duke Robillard
1999-Rhythm & Blues with Murali Coryell

Any of those ring a bell? :)

I think it went bankrupt, but has been brought back as guitarworkshopplus.com

Last edited:

BillKociaba

Blues Newbie
Haven't been to any recently, but I also attended National Guitar Workshops in New Milford, CT in the summers of:

1997-Blues with Adam Levy, David Hamburger
1998-Blues Blasters with Matt Smith, Kirby Kelly-special guests Poppa Chubby, Duke Robillard
1999-Rhythm & Blues with Murali Coryell

Any of those ring a bell? :)

I think it went bankrupt, but has been brought back as guitarworkshopplus.com
I must have been there in95 or 96. Pat Martino was the big name I remember being there. When I first got it in my head to do one of these again prior to Covid I noticed that NGSW didn't exist any longer and even though it was a long time ago and I only attended once I was kind of sad to see how long they had lasted and then gone under. That bit of info makes me more motivated to give GW+ a harder look. thanks Paleo.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Um... has anyone mentioned "Blues Guitar Unleashed Live!" ?
I can't say exactly when it will happen again, but it WILL happen.

Yeah but all of like to worry and plan out things and ( sometimes at least ) get the wifes approval. Without anything being officially announced and no dates to block off ... its not actionable yet.

Both the Chicago Blues Bootcamp 2022 and the guitarworkshopplus things have dates and timeframes established. So well theres that ...

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Yeah but all of like to worry and plan out things and ( sometimes at least ) get the wifes approval. Without anything being officially announced and no dates to block off ... its not actionable yet.

Both the Chicago Blues Bootcamp 2022 and the guitarworkshopplus things have dates and timeframes established. So well theres that ...

Great. Have fun!

dan5150

Shredding the Blues
Yes. I have attended all three mentioned, multiple times over the years: National Guitar Workshop, Guitar Workshop Plus, and BGU Live.

I found them all to be a very worthwhile experience. I have met and made many life long friends at these events. (In fact, 3 of us formed a band and we still gig to this day!)

If you can afford the cost, and the time, they are well worth it.

BillKociaba

Blues Newbie
My first choice would be BGU live but as is previously mentioned the question is when will another happen? If I remember correctly(and I might be mistaken)but there wasn't a lot of advanced notice the last time there was a BGU gathering. I am one of those "planners". Need time to prepair. I think I would use a workshop as a playing goal. In other words, got to work my butt off for aug so I am at my best and can get the most out of it.

BillKociaba

Blues Newbie
Had a chat with the guy who runs guitar workshop +. Didn't much care for his attitude. I did ask if they were a reformed NGSW or some kind of off shoot and he was quick to comment on why they went under and kind of bash them in general. He also was very quick to say he couldn't provide any special accommodations for me when I mentioned that I was blind and would be bringing my guide dog with me. I didn't ask for anything beyond "warning" him that since they do a shared room thing that it might be an issue for someone else to share a room with me and the dog. He initially said I could just get a private room and pay the extra cost. That doesn't seem particularly fair to me. He did say he would contact the venue to see if they would be able to accommidate me but not until I submitted an application which has a nonrefundable application fee. Not saying I am not still considering their Nashville camp just didn't care for his attitude.

BillKociaba

Blues Newbie
There was for the jam that had to be canceled though. :whistle::rolleyes:
OK, I have to admit I spend very little time on here so I have to ask have there been both workshops hosted by Griffin a kind of structured form as well as more informal jam sessions? For sure BGU would be a prefered route as A. we already know Griff is a great teacher and B. most of us would know each other even if its just in passing from being on here. Bill

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
OK, I have to admit I spend very little time on here so I have to ask have there been both workshops hosted by Griffin a kind of structured form as well as more informal jam sessions? For sure BGU would be a prefered route as A. we already know Griff is a great teacher and B. most of us would know each other even if its just in passing from being on here. Bill

There have been workshops that have been part of the "BGU Live" events. For a Fri, Sat, Sun event, Griff would a concert by Griff & his band Fri night, a workshop the Sat morning (or he brought someone in to do one) then afternoon & evening jamming and maybe a "Hangover" jam on Sunday Morning.

For more regular workshops, I'd recommend joining the All Access Pass, where you get streaming access to all of Griff's courses, PLUS six live sessions every month on Theory, Technique and Equipment, PLUS a "Golden Ticket" every two months that can be used to "Buy" any of Griff's courses so that you can download them. The Golden Ticket clock starts as soon as you join the AAP and, once you use a Golden Ticket, the clock resets & starts ticking towards your next Golden Ticket.

BillKociaba

Blues Newbie
There have been workshops that have been part of the "BGU Live" events. For a Fri, Sat, Sun event, Griff would a concert by Griff & his band Fri night, a workshop the Sat morning (or he brought someone in to do one) then afternoon & evening jamming and maybe a "Hangover" jam on Sunday Morning.

For more regular workshops, I'd recommend joining the All Access Pass, where you get streaming access to all of Griff's courses, PLUS six live sessions every month on Theory, Technique and Equipment, PLUS a "Golden Ticket" every two months that can be used to "Buy" any of Griff's courses so that you can download them. The Golden Ticket clock starts as soon as you join the AAP and, once you use a Golden Ticket, the clock resets & starts ticking towards your next Golden Ticket.
Been an AAP subscriber for over two years and there is no question that Griff gives a lot of value for the very reasonable monthly fee. Frankly its a no brainer for anyone reading this who is not a subscriber, you really are missing out on a lot!! I am grateful for the time Griff has taken personally answering my questions and have grown as a musician in the past few years mainly from Griff and the whole BGU experience. Still there is nothing like face to face interaction and doing a multi day totally imerseve kind of thing.

dan5150

Shredding the Blues
I’m sorry you feel like you didn’t have a positive experience in talking to Brian ( the owner/operator) of GWP. But it sounds like his responses were at least honest in addressing his and the various facilities capabilities.
To answer one of your questions, GWP and NGW were not affiliated. They have a similar “feel” in their format but that’s about it. NGW did go under quite a few years ago in a dramatic fashion, literally days before a session was to start, and even after a few students had already traveled to the location!
Many students that pre paid via check lost their money ( those that paid via card simply disputed the charges) and instructors that had already booked the work weren’t paid. It was not cool. At the time Brian offered any student that was impacted that summer a bit of a discount to attend a GWP session. That was nice.

BillKociaba

Blues Newbie
I’m sorry you feel like you didn’t have a positive experience in talking to Brian ( the owner/operator) of GWP. But it sounds like his responses were at least honest in addressing his and the various facilities capabilities.
To answer one of your questions, GWP and NGW were not affiliated. They have a similar “feel” in their format but that’s about it. NGW did go under quite a few years ago in a dramatic fashion, literally days before a session was to start, and even after a few students had already traveled to the location!
Many students that pre paid via check lost their money ( those that paid via card simply disputed the charges) and instructors that had already booked the work weren’t paid. It was not cool. At the time Brian offered any student that was impacted that summer a bit of a discount to attend a GWP session. That was nice.
Dan,
based on how you say things went down with NSGW Brian could have been much more negative than he was. Got to respect how he responded when I asked about the connection. I really didn't ask him for any special accommodations I just wanted to warn him that I would have my dog and it might be an issue for him when it came to matching me with a roommate. As the venue is a college campus I am not really concerned as they have undoubtedly had to deal with similar situations in the past.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I’d like to attend a BGU Live event. Please let me know when this will happen!

Oh, don't worry about THAT. There will be fireworks going off around here when he decides that it's time.

The only thing holding it up is this Covid crap. It's too expensive to hire a venue, order food, arrange accommodations and fly the band in for fifty people, then because of the government or a major Covid spike, have to shut it down or just a few people show up. Maybe if this latest round is as benign as they are saying (My wife only experienced a very mild common cold) we will be able to put it behind us and start living normal lives again.