Guitar Trios

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
So, the other night I was playing a Charlie Byrd record, and recalled seeing Charlie at the (I think) Theatre Royal in Sydney, about 1970 or 71. He was touring with his trio and the Gary Burton Quartet. Great concert.
And that got me recalling seeing Charlie several more times during the 70's when he toured as "The Great Guitars" with Herb Ellis and Barney Kessel. I think maybe on the last tour, Joe Pass was sitting in Barney's chair. Fantastic concerts.
So, that led my peripatetic mind to Guitar Trios - bands/groups with three guitarists who ALL solo...

The Guitar Trio - John McLaughlin, Larry Coryell, Paco de Lucia; Al di Meola replaced Larry. I thought I remembered somebody else briefly occupying the "flamenco" chair before Paco - anybody know?

I was going to say GTR, thinking Steve Howe, Steve Hackett and Mike Rutherford; but maybe Mike wasn't actually IN GTR. But I'm pretty sure those three guys played together somewhere/time.

MGT - Wolfgang Muthspiel, Slava Grigoryan, Ralph Towner. Did a couple of albums and tours.

Can't count The quintet of the Hot Club of France, even though they had three guitarists, only Django solo'd regularly.

Can't count the Beatles, even though there are several recordings with Paul soloing, because he never played guitar WITH John and George (as far as I know).

There must be others?

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
@PapaBear , your music collection is obviously a bit less jazzy than mine. I thought of Lynyrd Skynyrd, but somehow forgot to include them. I agree to "maybe" the Eagles - I don't think Glenn Frey did much soloing - maybe on the outro to Hotel California in that big harmony mix. I'm not familiar with the Zac Brown Band, but I'm guessing you've seen them in your locality?

Rick23

Blues Junior
Not really a formal band, but I once saw Clapton live with Derek Trucks in his band on this night, and the opening act was Robert Cray, who ended up playing with Clapton for most of the performance. Those three absolutely killed it!

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Not really a formal band, but I once saw Clapton live with Derek Trucks in his band on this night, and the opening act was Robert Cray, who ended up playing with Clapton for most of the performance. Those three absolutely killed it!
That would have been a killer set ! And you reminded me that the last time I saw Clapton, in 2007, the band had both Derek Trucks and Doyle Bramhall II - and they all pushed one another, all night. No "letting the boss be the best".

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
@PapaBear , your music collection is obviously a bit less jazzy than mine. I thought of Lynyrd Skynyrd, but somehow forgot to include them. I agree to "maybe" the Eagles - I don't think Glenn Frey did much soloing - maybe on the outro to Hotel California in that big harmony mix. I'm not familiar with the Zac Brown Band, but I'm guessing you've seen them in your locality?
Zac Brown is pretty big here in my little corner!

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
That would have been a killer set ! And you reminded me that the last time I saw Clapton, in 2007, the band had both Derek Trucks and Doyle Bramhall II - and they all pushed one another, all night. No "letting the boss be the best".
That was a great tour! The Allman Brothers with Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes frequently had a third guitarist sit in, Clapton a few times