Guitar Theory Made Useful

Bob630

Blues Newbe
The first 4 lessons in Guitar Theory were easy to understand, then I ran into lesson 5, intervals. So far it is about as clear as mud. I have already listened to it twice and in a few minutes will try for the third time. I hope sooner or later the material starts to make sense.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Don't get too hung up on it. As Griff says at the beginning of the lesson "For a guitar player....it's not that useful".

And you will almost never hear Griff refer to intervals outside of this lesson.:whistle:

For any 2 notes there are a certain number of notes in between them.

An interval is just this "distance" between the 2 notes, usually expressed in half-steps, rather than the number of notes in between.

Just like any other basic unit of measure, half-steps can be combined into larger units, as expressed in the chart on page 24.

I think they are easier to understand if you look at notes on a staff.

If you look back to any of the Exercises in Lesson 2 on "Reading Notes" there is an interval between each successive note.

An interval is a measure of how much you went up or down between each 2 notes.

Or the difference in pitch between any 2 notes you might wish to focus on.

Or think of the "distance" between any 2 keys on a piano.

That's the "basic" idea.

Last edited:

Bob630

Blues Newbe
Don't get too hung up on it. As Griff says at the beginning of the lesson "For a guitar player....it's not that useful".

And you will almost never hear Griff refer to intervals outside of this lesson.:whistle:

For any 2 notes there are a certain number of notes in between them.

An interval is just this "distance" between the 2 notes, usually expressed in half-steps, rather than the number of notes in between.

Just like any other basic unit of measure, half-steps can be combined into larger units, as expressed in the chart on page 24.

I think they are easier to understand if you look at notes on a staff.

If you look back to any of the Exercises in Lesson 2 on "Reading Notes" there is an interval between each successive note.

An interval is a measure of how much you went up or down between each 2 notes.

Or the difference in pitch between any 2 notes you might wish to focus on.

Or think of the "distance" between any 2 keys on a piano.

That's the "basic" idea.

It’s not the formula part, that’s easy to understand but rather the interval part such as perfect, third, diminished etc that’s a real pain. But like you said and what Griff said, guitar players don’t use them much if at all.

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
Intervals are useful for understanding how chords are built and other aspects of music theory. On a more practical level when actually playing, they can help you find the next note to play.