Guitar skill level Poll

Rockybottom

Senior Bluesman
I put myself down a s a beginner because no doubt in my mind thats what I am but maybe as with many polls a rough guidline as to what we mean by each category would be usefull albeit it's never going to be accurate.  My suggestion would be :

Beginner - Still doing the BBG course
Intermediate - Working through the BGU course but not completed.
Advanced -  Completed BGU course and cpable of peforming with confidence including ata venue.
Professional - Self explanatory.

:cool:

PS My next course will be on typing !!!  ;D

Bluewater

Blues Newbie
Rocky
You are right on. I was recently looking at Griff's catalog and he does break out the courses as beginning and intermediate the same way you have.
http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/course-catalog/

Here is some background: When this poll was created it was BGU and that was it from the catalog. BBG and none of the other courses existed. The poll was created just as a "lark" (nothing serious here) just to try out the "poll" feature that was made available to us on the BGU forum at the time. The sticky feature on the forum came into existence and the moderators (maybe Chuck) saw fit to elevate the thread so it lives today.

Thanks for voting. It is interesting to see the votes and read the replies. ]

I like the "typing" course suggestion; it is one I could personally use ;D

Dave AKA Bluewater  :)

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
I guess I am in good company. I voted intermediate. But, I would say I am a beginning blues guitar player. I got my first guitar circa 1995. Tried to get some friends who played to teach me, but all they did was show off. After I got out of the Navy in 1998, I took lessons for one summer. My guitar teacher also taught at the local community college and talked me into taking his course. I learned to finger pick (classical style) from him. Then, I tried learning on my own for a while. My guitars sat and collected dust for about 3 years. Then I decided I should take lessons again. Went through about 3 or 4 different private teachers. Learned a little bit from each. Went back to trying to teach myself for the past four years or so. I can play a few three cord songs (just strumming on my acoustic) and I learned one solo note for note, but I can't play it to speed. I am hoping to make some real progress with Griff's course. Hoping to play in a band someday. Just for fun. I enjoy all styles of guitar music, but I LOVE the blues. Plus, I figure the blues is the root of jazz, rock, and practically everything else, so if I can get that down, I should be headed in the right direction.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Maybe a follow up poll in a few weeks to see where we expect to be after completing the course?

It's a thought.

Dave
I will still be "intermediate".  I'll just be a heck of a lot better "intermediate" than I was before.  Steve Vai and those at his level qualify as "advanced".  I will never get there.

psarchb

Blues Newbie
Definitely beginner.  I to routinely get lost out of time and can't seem to peel my barre off to play shapes in the middle strings.  I'm a'tryin though.

D

Duckhunter418

Just entered this forum and still waiting reception of my ABGU.  I'll update my skill level when I'll be in another one but 'till then, I'll keep practicing and trying to figure some things out on my own!
[smiley=huh.gif]

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
[split] [link=http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1373042926/0#0][splithere][/link][splithere_end]

B

BluesLover123

I am an old beginner.... I can read music...just not on the guitar... Am still learning the strings...for pete's sake...Can't keep them straight...Thank God for Tabs...LOL  I just enjoy playing... [smiley=beer.gif] :D

tomt

Blues Newbie
It'd be interesting to see this updated to understand how people have progressed.  How many would classify themselves at a higher level now?

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
I am an old beginner.... I can read music...just not on the guitar... Am still learning the strings...for pete's sake...Can't keep them straight...Thank God for Tabs...LOL  I just enjoy playing... [smiley=beer.gif] :D

Easy way to remember the strings, from fattest to skinniest:

E every
A aspiring
D dedicated
G guitarist
B becomes
E excellent

Jim pyron

Got Yer Blues
The poll just goes to show that we never consider ourselves to be good enough.  We mostly pick intermediate because no matter what our skill level we know how much more there is for each of us to learn.

Wstorey45

Blues Newbie
I have a Masters Degree in Classical Guitar, but I am a newbie at electric blues. So from a blues perspective I am nearly a beginner, but my overall guitar skills are far beyond that.

TonyS

Blues Newbie
I have a Masters Degree in Classical Guitar, but I am a newbie at electric blues. So from a blues perspective I am nearly a beginner, but my overall guitar skills are far beyond that.
There's a number of people on here from a classical guitar background, me being one of them, so welcome to the family.

Stewart_C

Blues Newbie

Hi Bill - Anywhere we could hear a little of your classical playing ?

Stewart

Bluewater

Blues Newbie
It'd be interesting to see this updated to understand how people have progressed.  How many would classify themselves at a higher level now?

TomT
Sounds like you might be starting a Poll. I'll bet others would like to see the results too.

Old_George

Blues Newbie
  If there was a level below beginner, I'd probably deserve it!  The good news is that I ain't as bad as I was a couple weeks ago.  There's hope. ::)

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
What I want to know is how do I loose the Blues Newbie label?  After playing guitar off and on for over 30 years and now taking lessons from multiple sources these last several years, I might not be a pro, but I certainly am not a beginner and the only thing I am a "newbie" for is this site.