Guitar skill level Poll

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
I would still say beginner. At least I would have before trying this "beginner" blues strumming exercise. I'll get eventually but for now, I'm less than a beginner.

http://www.guitartips.com.au/email-free/smooth-blues-strumming.htm

L

Lame_Pinkey

I would think that is more than a beginner for sure, a beginner is just starting to learn the open chords & open shuffle patterns - that goes way beyond that.

LP

A

Alex_Torian

Hmmmm...beginner....intermediate.

If I don't have a guitar in my hands - intermediate

After having just finished playing - beginner

heer heer ... mind you just occasionally and i do mean occasionally.... after a good practise session i feel i may just be betterer than i think i am...

gotta watch out for those self imposed limitations... they are just as much a killer as the myriad of other things wafting around in yr brain.... :eek:

cheeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrsssssssss alex T

D

DimemanRobbie

I have "played" at playing for over 45 years. ::)
Picked out chords and notes and basically in a  guitar rut for 43 years.
......I ain't getting younger so when I found one of Griff's YouTube videos, I thought this guy makes it look so easy......... it's time I really learned how to perform on the guitar and not just play at it. ;)
So I am considering my self a beginner !!!!!!!!!!!

My 1st hobby was collecting old silver dimes and I metal detect also----so my nickname is Dimeman. :)

G

gimmeblues

Outhouse Spunn, you are right about the quality of the instrument to a degree! I now have a Taylor and I can't tell you how much more you want to play with a quality instrument, but my Sigma (division of Martin) served me well for a number of years. And a Crate isn't bad if you're not playing professionally and know how to set it. I also have a Fender Strat (USA) which I hook up to a Crate and it sounds pretty darned good. Would really like to have a new Taylor hardbody! Newbies would do well to put out the bucks for a quality instrument.

M

MidwestMan

I fully expected a selection between "beginner" and "intermediate"... like "I Suck". Thats what I needed to answer the poll question more honestly.   :-/

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
A year ago (November 11, 2010 to be exact), I had the audacity to list myself as intermediate.  Here I am a year later and I would plant myself squarely in the middle of the beginner category.

It seems the more I know, the more I know I don't know!

FrankL

Mr. Bites Off More Than I Can Chew
I just took the poll but someone said it in a reply above...  "the more I know the more I suck".  I just wanna know why that happens.  I guess that's a meaning of life kinda question.  Just when I think I've got something that sounds good, I'm mistaken

daveg

Blues Newbie
LOL - I been twanging out of tune for 45 years. NOW I can actually play some lead along with lots of cool chord voicings and alterations. Thanks Griff. Now days I LOVE to pick up my guitar.

I've been a (bad) chord strummer for 45 years.

Bluewater

Blues Newbie
.....NOW I can actually play some lead along with lots of cool chord voicings and alterations. Thanks Griff. Now days I LOVE to pick up my guitar. .....
Me too man. Thanks Griff!  [smiley=beer.gif]

L

Licksnkicks

Outhouse Spunn, you are right about the quality of the instrument to a degree! I now have a Taylor and I can't tell you how much more you want to play with a quality instrument, but my Sigma (division of Martin) served me well for a number of years. And a Crate isn't bad if you're not playing professionally and know how to set it. I also have a Fender Strat (USA) which I hook up to a Crate and it sounds pretty darned good. Would really like to have a new Taylor hardbody! Newbies would do well to put out the bucks for a quality instrument.

I got a cheapo guitar pack when I started.  It was made by Academy.  I knew that I loved guitar from the very start.  After about a year I bought myself 2 nice guitars.  Both Parkers and then 6 months later I bought myself a Gibson SG standard.  I can hardly wait to come everday after work and sit and play my "babies"!  I still love my very first guitar and that really didn't stop my enthusiasm for playing. Getting a few quality guitars made me want to play more and more.  I somehow have to draw the line though because I work and am a mom.  It's something to look forward to everyday.  It's puts a joy in my life daily that I never knew could exist.  Playing is my life now!  I couldn't possibly think of anything better to do.  I love my guitars and my music.

D

djconner

I have to agree with Sar I am definately a beginning Intermediate even though I bought my first guitar in the 80's. :-/

puakodiverdan

Blues Newbie
I played for several years when I was younger then life took over and I stopped and I picked it back up again about 3 years ago. I picked up Griffs course to sharpen my skills and fill in lots of wholes.

Strick

Blues Newbie
Well, I seem to fit right in with this group.  I, too, started playing back in college, you know back when Christ was a corporal.  I could play 3-4 songs in a small band and played for Frat parties for free beer.  After working with Griff's course, I realized that I have so much to learn and my skills are not where I want. This picking thing is hard for an old bass and rhythm player.  But I'm having fun learning new stuff, it just takes longer than the young guys.  Getting old is a beach.  Anybody have trouble with the lesson "Texas shuffle with the bass line?  Kickin my butt   :mad:

M

Mightravel

I've been stuck at the crossroads
Beginner/ intermediate all the years.
I've been stuck at the crossroads
Beginner/ intermediate all the years.
Don't know where I'm goin'
C'mon Griff show me how.